Tracto Shipping

Good morning all
Does anyone have any information on a transport/shipping company from many years ago called Tracto. I have recently seen a picture of a light blue mid-'60s 6x2 MAN with yellow ‘tracto’ name on the front. The name rings a bell but can’t recall anything beyond that. Can anyone refresh my memory, please?

formertrucker:
Good morning all
Does anyone have any information on a transport/shipping company from many years ago called Tracto. I have recently seen a picture of a light blue mid-'60s 6x2 MAN with yellow ‘tracto’ name on the front. The name rings a bell but can’t recall anything beyond that. Can anyone refresh my memory, please?

Just sign in and type Tracto into the ‘search’ box at the top of the page. 36 pages of references come up. A lot of them refer to the history of Tracto in Belgium.

I remember a “Tracto”, they had a depot at Greenhill Ind. Est. Kidderminster. They regularly advertised for drivers for continental work in the late seventies/ early eighties. I was often delivering in the Kidderminster area so I called in one day. Like a lot of young men at the time the lure of continental work was strong, I don’t remember the terms and conditions proposed but, I soon changed my mind when I heard them. I stayed on UK work for the rest of my working life apart from a couple of trips to Norway when I was a traction haulier for Colorline from North Shields. Regards Kev.

IIRC Tracto was a subsidiary of the Nedlloyd-group where also Fransen-transport (UK-based in Kidderminster) and Damco-Creten (Belgium) /Damco-GG (Holland) belonged

Tracto bought out the transport side of CP Ships ( Canadian Pacific) they moved from tilbury dock to felixstowe and somehow turned a good job into a poor one.

CP ships was IIRC also connected to Nedlloyd and had a vast location at ECT-Rotterdam (Europe Container Terminal)
and herewith a picture from about 1985 taken in Arendonk.

IMG_0119.jpg

Tracto (ofcourse as a beneficiary of a group) was more or less ‘independent’ to serve other shipping-lines but was a regular visitor on
ECT (Europe Container Terminal) in Rotterdam. An inside picture of the ECT-brochure (first half of the seventies) already shows quite
some apple-green in regard to their containers. I will search in the Nedlloyd archives for both Tracto and CP-ships soon.

Happy summer

IMG_0124.jpg