traction rates

Ah yes, I remember that pic now from when he bought it, maybe a year or 18 months ago?

Basically, he’s the same as me, runs his own truck, makes a decent living at it but not a fortune, is happy doing what he is doing. What’s not to like? :stuck_out_tongue:

Arr fair play. You can do alright out of traction if it suits but there’s perhaps 50% who are deluded.

Nice truck

Thanks for all the kind comments much appreciated,and thanks kindle530 for putting the picture up i now you told me last time how to do it but i had forgotten as i am not very good on computers i was going to try and put a picture on at the weekend when i had more time but you have saved me the job lol

Funnily enough, I’m sure I saw your arse ■■■■■■■ up the m6 by Brum this morning?

What is the average mileage you tend to do in a week? Trying to do a business plan. Any help would be much appreciated

jmc:
What is the average mileage you tend to do in a week? Trying to do a business plan. Any help would be much appreciated

I’ve been going 22 months and I’ve done 228,566 km which is 142,031 miles.

142,031 divided by 22 is 6,455 miles a month.

6,455 multiplied by 12 and then divided by 52 gives 1,490 miles a week.

Thank you greatly sir.

One more question… is that all payed miles?

Ok so after much ■■■■■■ about with figures and a calculator, i can not get this to work. After 3 different options of truck and trailer the best i got was -£532 per week!!! Thats not on a new unit or even a new trailer and tried to be as realistic as possible! Am i missing something?

I have operated 44t tractor units on a variety of contract hire/lease from various sources for many years, always with full R&M so my overheads, apart from tyres, are relatively fixed.

My fixed overheads at the moment for operating a brand new Axor, more or less the same for an 11 plate Actros Megaspace is around £500 a week.
Running cost based on fuel @ £1.11/litre and 8mpg is £0.66/mile(inc 2p mile for tyres)

1500 miles running costs = £990
Fixed costs = £510

TOTAL RUNNING COSTS = £1500

EARNINGS for 1500 miles:

£1.60/mile…£2400…profit £900

£1.50/mile…£2250…profit £750

£1.40…£2100…profit £600

£1.30…£1950…profit £450

Figures without trailer hire because I don’t pay it.

That’s how i work my figures out, others will differ and fuel prices change, nothing is static in this business (except rates !!!)

As far as I am concerned that is an accurate guide to what is possible, whether it is worth it is a personal decision

matamoros:
I have operated 44t tractor units on a variety of contract hire/lease from various sources for many years, always with full R&M so my overheads, apart from tyres, are relatively fixed.

My fixed overheads at the moment for operating a brand new Axor, more or less the same for an 11 plate Actros Megaspace is around £500 a week.
Running cost based on fuel @ £1.11/litre and 8mpg is £0.66/mile(inc 2p mile for tyres)

Fixed costs = £510

EARNINGS for 1500 miles:

£1.40…£2100…profit £600

£1.30…£1950…profit £450

That’s how i work my figures out, others will differ and fuel prices change, nothing is static in this business (except rates !!!)

As far as I am concerned that is an accurate guide to what is possible, whether it is worth it is a personal decision

It looks to me as if the £450 profit at the bottom end of the scale is going to have to support dead (unpaid) mileage and personal living expenses, unless these latter and an allowance for the empty running is included in the fixed weekly costs.

cav551:

matamoros:

Fixed costs = £510

EARNINGS for 1500 miles:

£1.40…£2100…profit £600

£1.30…£1950…profit £450

It looks to me as if the £450 profit at the bottom end of the scale is going to have to support dead (unpaid) mileage and personal living expenses, unless these latter and an allowance for the empty running is included in the fixed weekly costs.

The mileage rates that I work to are total actual mileages ie revenue for week divided by total mileage.

As an OD whats left from the revenue after deduction of total costs is profit(income), personal living expenses don’t come into it.

matamoros:

cav551:

matamoros:

Fixed costs = £510

EARNINGS for 1500 miles:

£1.40…£2100…profit £600

£1.30…£1950…profit £450

The mileage rates that I work to are total actual mileages ie revenue for week divided by total mileage.

As an OD whats left from the revenue after deduction of total costs is profit(income), personal living expenses don’t come into it.

I think your figs are pretty spot on regards to running costs and puts into perspective how much it actually costs to run a truck and what profit is left
Lookin at your figs I can’t see how anyone can justify running for less than 1.60 a mile

“Lookin at your figs I can’t see how anyone can justify running for less than 1.60 a mile”

Can’t justify it but sometimes circumstances dictate acceptance of poor rates.

Certainly would not contemplate setting up in business from scratch at anything less.

Why dont you go pulling steady eddies trailers out of Tesco Goole £600 per day

SHYTOT:
Why dont you go pulling steady eddies trailers out of Tesco Goole £600 per day[/quot"

Circumstances":
Don’t live near Goole
Do have a family life, so don’t do silly shifts, weekends, tramping…

£600 a day sounds good but depends on what is expected, if the job was that good it would not be easy to get regular work there.

matamoros:

SHYTOT:
Why dont you go pulling steady eddies trailers out of Tesco Goole £600 per day[/quot"

Circumstances":
Don’t live near Goole
Do have a family life, so don’t do silly shifts, weekends, tramping…

£600 a day sounds good but depends on what is expected, if the job was that good it would not be easy to get regular work there.

Precisely good well paid jobs like 600 quid a day would never be short of people with there units waiting at the gates with a smile on there face
Most of us make a reasonable livin at this owner driving game other wise we wouldn’t do it when it comes to rates weather it be traction or otherwise I seem to bealeve more what’s on my invoices with my name on than rumours of what other people are earning or rates there getting

SHYTOT:
Why dont you go pulling steady eddies trailers out of Tesco Goole £600 per day

If Stobart are paying £600 a day pulling Tesco trailers out of Goole, then I’d suggest you get as many of your own trucks on the road as you can, and go for it. :unamused:

2 b fair, I did see an email the other week, bank holiday I think it was offering 550 a shift from the North, traction only… I bet it involves a lot of miles and alot of hassle!

Finally got figures to be profitable. A whole £72 a week profits! Reading other peoples things i wonder if i am accounting for too much on my overheads. I will put up what i am working out as my overheads when i get home tomorrow and see if anyone can offer some advice