traction rates

can anybody tell me what the going rate per mile is for traction only from docks

Depends on what docks, what customer.

If memory serves me correct Dentressangle from Portsmouth was about 1.24ppm

Sealane Dover were about the same, but paid German tolls only, if you went over the water.

Jesus wept. How come you see decent units on that nobby traction then? £1.24, you’d need to be reloading them on your own ticket.

Thats what we got but havnt been on there for over a year, may be more now but I doubt
it.

You loaded where they told you, no chance of loading your own loads.
Containers are no better.

No such thing as going rate different firms price as they see fit, worth notting that if you phone they will quote you low.

Even in the same location owner ops are gettin different rates.
Not just about the rate though, this has to be compared to type of work IE fully loaded both ways ect.
What area you thinking of?

looking for work out of killinghome/ immingham

peddle pusher:

Not my patch mate.

Not brilliant out of there rate wise last I heard but can be made to work if you use your head

£1.24 isn’t good though, I’m on job rate rather than mileage but it generally works out at between £1.60 and £1.80 per loaded mile, and even then I only make a living.

Diesel is around 75p per mile so at £1.24 you are earning less than 50p per mile, £150 for 300 miles, I estimate my standing costs at £120 a day and I run an old truck and have low costs.

I agree, £1.24 is not enough, but they get people on it and some I know have been there for years.

We run newish trucks and our standing cost is around £180 a day, its hard out there, we average
around £1.75 a mile on traction only, but have some jobs well over £2 a mile but not enough of them.

If i could get 1.74 pm id be very happy

There’s an orange & a silver newish MP4 on that Norb traction out of the South Coast, I mean how they make it pay is anyone’s guess.

Silver_Surfer:
There’s an orange & a silver newish MP4 on that Norb traction out of the South Coast, I mean how they make it pay is anyone’s guess.

I no the moter and v nice it is to there’s no way it’s bein paid for on 1.24 a mile either unless he’s got one of the v limited edition ones runnin on fresh air
I havnt done traction on ferry trailers etc but if I did I would be lookin at a bare min of 1.75 a mile

Most traction jobs are around the £1.20 to £1.25 out of the docks, containers are no better.

We used to run for Wincanton using our own trailer, about £1.24 per mile, couldn’t make it
pay as we have a yard and office and staff to pay, a good week was £2000 but normal week
£1800, to much waiting at docks or delivery point, only had one truck on it for about 6 months.

You need to be up to the £3000 a week mark, only good thing about containers was weekly payments.

alanjblack:
Most traction jobs are around the £1.20 to £1.25 out of the docks, containers are no better.

We used to run for Wincanton using our own trailer, about £1.24 per mile, couldn’t make it
pay as we have a yard and office and staff to pay, a good week was £2000 but normal week
£1800, to much waiting at docks or delivery point, only had one truck on it for about 6 months.

You need to be up to the £3000 a week mark, only good thing about containers was weekly payments.

I done a stint on the containers for Wincanton last yeR for a few months at an agreed day rate and I was doin minimal milage so I was on a good screw but this was only temp until my reg work picked up all I can say is if I was doing it for the ppm rate plus trl hire I would have been rather penny less by now the whole thing is just a waste of time and what you say about 1800 a week I beleave anyone runnin for any if the big container company’s sayin there turnin over 2 n half a week has probably got Walter Mitty transport on there moter

My own rule of thumb is that I look at earning £1,400 a week after the diesel.

Harry Monk:
My own rule of thumb is that I look at earning £1,400 a week after the diesel.[
That’s an achievable and honest figure in your line of work I look for a little more around the 1700 mark but then I’ve more equipment to maintain as I’m not on traction

peddle pusher:

Have you tried dfds at immingham? Don’t know what the traction rates are but they do email me from time to time asking for vehicles, it’s not the sort of thing I do.

monarch of the highway:

Silver_Surfer:

I no the moter and v nice it is to there’s no way it’s bein paid for on 1.24 a mile either unless he’s got one of the v limited edition ones runnin on fresh air
I havnt done traction on ferry trailers etc but if I did I would be lookin at a bare min of 1.75 a mile

Perhaps he does a grand per shift at night on the mp4 & doesn’t like to see her get cold so out of the goodness of his heart lets Norbs run it in the day for his 300 notes. :slight_smile:

Where I work we look at getting around 1.70-1.80 a mile, but 4 day hire with a milage cap we charge 450…But then alot of reloads pay less than that… Some how we make it wrk, we have 5 trucks on containers at the mo 4 a Southampton based container logistics company and with all in and I mean everything the best we have done from it in a week is -3 quid… Not saying they are all like that mind! God knows how it pays at 1.24 a mile!