Traction@ £1.02/mile mental?

O/D owns outright 2007 Scania 420 6x2 pulling fridge on traction only basis gross anywhere from 30-44t.
Goes out on Sun evening back home Thur afternoon, part-time driver takes truck out on Thur evening back Sat morning.
PT driver earns £220 take home and truck averages 3000miles/week@ £1.02mile.
They get their diesel in Eire mostly I think (is it still cheaper :question: :confused: ) but I’m not sure of the price.

Would he be using approx 50p per mile in fuel costs alone :question: :open_mouth:

Do you think the O/D can make any profit at all with these figures :question:

Big Truck:
O/D owns outright 2007 Scania 420 6x2 pulling fridge on traction only basis gross anywhere from 30-44t.
Goes out on Sun evening back home Thur afternoon, part-time driver takes truck out on Thur evening back Sat morning.
They get their diesel in Eire mostly I think (is it still cheaper :question: :confused: ) but I’m not sure of the price.

Would he be using approx 50p per mile in fuel costs alone :question: :open_mouth:

Hmm… just checking out replies to my renault question and found this?.. I’m not clued up on forum activity but is this straight?

I don’t pull fridges, used to do sometimes long back, certainly wouldn’t work for 1.02ppm with any trailer traction only or not. I know guys running from Hull docks etc. with curtainsiders and they are on @1.25ppm traction only of course. I run with my own trailer on dedicated south bound work but have to get myself back north with a few other contacts. I average 1.55 / 1.70 ppm depending. Not great hearing the rates that some folk mention on here but as an owner driver I manage .

The rate you quote sounds seriously poor, probably why there’s so many miles involved, I tend to do 4 days and about 1300 miles, done and finnished. Less miles, less wear and tear on you and truck.

Big Truck:

Maybe I need a new calculator or your man gets better consumption than me or cheaper fuel…diesel is currently selling (per litre) at £1.06-£1.11 on UK fuel cards. With my truck averaging 8mpg that means £0.60-£0.63 per mile in fuel usage.

So at £1.02 a mile that’s as little as 39p left per mile for paying everything else. Even with 3000 paid miles a week that’s tight. The truck may well be paid for outright as you say but it will still need replaced one day which will need to be paid for. And it also still needs a fair bit of maintenance when running 150K plus miles a year.

ROB K… :grimacing:

globby 480:

wait a sec, don’t you do traction @ £0.99 + 1 mars bar per mile.
:grimacing: :grimacing:

Scannyfanny:

Big Truck:

Maybe I need a new calculator or your man gets better consumption than me or cheaper fuel…diesel is currently selling (per litre) at £1.06-£1.11 on UK fuel cards. With my truck averaging 8mpg that means £0.60-£0.63 per mile in fuel usage.

So at £1.02 a mile that’s as little as 39p left per mile for paying everything else. Even with 3000 paid miles a week that’s tight. The truck may well be paid for outright as you say but it will still need replaced one day which will need to be paid for. And it also still needs a fair bit of maintenance when running 150K plus miles a year.

He goes over the border and mostly gets the Dublin/Holyhead boat and gets his diesel in Eire@ 95ppl.

Yes I think that rate is clean mental too and if you had a truck payment to make, a loss making venture alright. :cry:

If i am right that works out to be £1170 per week sp after 52 weeks he/she will collect £60,840, (Correct me if i am wrong)

How much does it cost to keep a truck on the road?

If i am right that works out to be £1170 per week sp after 52 weeks he/she will collect £60,840, (Correct me if i am wrong)

mickyblue:

more than that !

Denis F:

mickyblue:

more than that !

If you just had one driver working Mon-Fri doing a sensible mileage then you might be able to keep going at £1170/week after fuel on traction work but once you take the 220/week wages for the second driver off that you’re only left with £950/week to pay your own wages and maintain a truck that is doing 3000miles a week and if you’re paying yourself a realistic wage then that is, as Denis said, simply not enough.

Paul

cost’s a fair bit to keep a truck going then

Big Truck:

Do you think the O/D can make any profit at all with these figures [/b]:?:
[/quote]
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Rob K:

Big Truck:

Do you think the O/D can make any profit at all with these figures [/b]:?:
[/quote]
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
[/quote]
Mr Knapp,
good to see you back and well, :wink:
did you get the piles sorted :question: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :grimacing:

philgor:

globby 480:

wait a sec, don’t you do traction @ £0.99 + 1 mars bar per mile.
:grimacing: :grimacing:

yes but that work out at £1.49ppm with the price of the mars bars thrown in as well :grimacing: :grimacing:

You would be better off with a Mondeo and Taxi sign!