Tracking/monitoring technology

Just noticed your username Wendy, hope you weren’t too shocked at my Gutter/Truckerstyle Bull analogy and his dubious ■■■■■■ activities with the tracker inventor,… got a bit carried away :blush: :laughing: :laughing:

Reading through some of the questions, tracking software doesn’t really benefit the driver in my opinion as its more of a tool for companies to monitor their trucks. I’ve also found in my 18 months I’ve been in this job, it doesn’t matter if the truck is tracked or not, the office will still phone and ask where you are so having it tracked doesn’t reduce the communication between the driver and the office.

WendyB:
Hello all,

I’m studying Transport & Logistics Management at university and am currently doing my final year project, which is on the use of vehicle tracking/monitoring technologies in the haulage industry. I’m really keen to get the views of drivers who are being tracked/monitored in some way by this technology in their roles. I’ve made a short online survey which is located here: goo.gl/forms/k44phg6QMT There’s also an optional prize draw, as an incentive to have your say :slight_smile:

There’s a little more information about me and the survey there, but to summarise here:

• Responses are wholly anonymous, there’s no questions asking about sensitive data such as your name, your employer, etc.
  • The data from this survey will only be used for this dissertation.
  • People who no longer work as drivers are still welcome to participate.
  • The survey closes at 23:59 on the 31st March.

All responses are very much valued and appreciated. However, I am especially keen to hear from female drivers and/or drivers aged over 60, as I’ve not had much feedback from these groups so far.

Please also/if you prefer, feel free to share your thoughts and opinions on the matter here - might be fun to see a bit of debate going on!

I have a question & a suggestion for you WendyB, why haven’t you asked the likes of Tesco/Sainsbury drivers, as when I last worked for those companies, (July 2015) the in cab monitoring was total, including Tesco which had live satnav routing, as well as hard copy risk assesment I didn’t have a problem with being monitored, as I used the information to my advantage ie:- t/r checks when on trunk work 20mins allowed, 12mins comfort breaks 12mins check Temps on Fridge work, I actually had an incident when on trunk, told to drop T/r on the bay with the doors open, (Frozen -20c) on de-brief told I had a warm load, when my run was checked, During my de-brief, I stated the lowest temp I found was on Defrost was -15c, the next shift I worked I asked what was the result, no fault was found with me it was the depot that was at fault so yes I am in favour of telematics and I am 74yrs and have been Driving for a living since I was 18yrs

robroy:
Just noticed your username Wendy, hope you weren’t too shocked at my Gutter/Truckerstyle Bull analogy and his dubious ■■■■■■ activities with the tracker inventor,… got a bit carried away :blush: :laughing: :laughing:

Not to worry, I’ve worked in transport and my boyfriend’s a driver too, so it takes a lot to shock me nowadays :laughing:

Daventry:
I have a question & a suggestion for you WendyB, why haven’t you asked the likes of Tesco/Sainsbury drivers, as when I last worked for those companies, (July 2015) the in cab monitoring was total, including Tesco which had live satnav routing, as well as hard copy risk assesment I didn’t have a problem with being monitored, as I used the information to my advantage ie:- t/r checks when on trunk work 20mins allowed, 12mins comfort breaks 12mins check Temps on Fridge work, I actually had an incident when on trunk, told to drop T/r on the bay with the doors open, (Frozen -20c) on de-brief told I had a warm load, when my run was checked, During my de-brief, I stated the lowest temp I found was on Defrost was -15c, the next shift I worked I asked what was the result, no fault was found with me it was the depot that was at fault so yes I am in favour of telematics and I am 74yrs and have been Driving for a living since I was 18yrs

Hi Daventry, thanks for your reply. I wasn’t aware of the Tesco/Sainsbury situation - is there anyone on here who works for either of them? I haven’t been targeting specific companies to be honest.

Tracking is fine. It’s how that information is used is the problem. One employer might use it as a “tool” where another may use it as a “whip”
My employer tried to use it as a whip initially. Now they seem to use it as a tool. Step too far out of line though… You’ll soon hear about it.

Conor:

Carryfast:
Here’s a clue.One of the upsides of being a driver is the real sense of freedom which goes with the job.The introduction of tachographs being the first stage in the gradual continuing erosion of that. :unamused:

And they were introduced because people took the pee and broke the law left, right and centre.

industry needed regulations due too Thatcher letting them away with murder during the miners strike.

Trackers led to a mass argument when i worked for BOC ,the managers were phoning the cab phone ,saying slow down your driving to fast…! Etc etc etc :open_mouth:

The Union were in and soon sorted it out.

Trackers can only be used for Safety and Security reasons nothing else.

Still remember that meeting! :open_mouth: Thought a mass brawl would break out :unamused:

maestegboy:
Trackers led to a mass argument when i worked for BOC ,the managers were phoning the cab phone ,saying slow down your driving to fast…! Etc etc etc :open_mouth:

The Union were in and soon sorted it out.

Trackers can only be used for Safety and Security reasons nothing else.

Still remember that meeting! :open_mouth: Thought a mass brawl would break out :unamused:

I think you have accept that a firm HAS to use tech to best manage its assets, it’s HOW they choose to use that data that becomes the issue, as you state above…

The tracker we have at our place isn’t that accurate. I got a call from one of the planners asking if I had passed a certain point, to which I replied “yes, that was 6 miles ago”.

Carryfast:
Just one more downside of being an employed driver to add to the risk v reward equation of being an owner driver.Working as an owner driver obviously putting the clock back to pre tacho era regards the freedom aspect of the job. :bulb:

I’ve been driving a lorry with a tracker for almost two years now without a single complaint. In that time I’ve been called twice regarding parking in a strange place/time… I was putting chains on both times and they just wanted to know if everything was ok. Haven’t heard a word regarding detours for shopping, extra hour or so for chatting with a mate etc. But I can be ■■■■ sure I will never get a pointless call such as “where are you now”? Nor will I ever be questioned about loss of fuel in a layby.

owner-driving, lol. the last time someone praised it as the best option for any driver, it was at a dcpc session, and boy was the lecturer missing a few bolts :laughing:

I left my last job 6 months ago over the use of trackers. I got fed up explaining weekly why I went a certain route to a destination( weight limit on route, so used the only alternative that was ten miles extra) why It took me 20 minutes to unload 4 packs of bricks at a drop ( I was waiting for the carpenter to find the keys to his van and move it out of the way) and why it took me 25 minutes to leave the yard every morning (Company requires you fill out a 30 point check on the HIAB, as well as checking the crane for operation) plus completing the vehicle daily defect sheet and check every item on the del tickets with what was loaded on the vehicle…oh, and secure the load!

Minute management they called it, so I called it crap and resigned. I now work for a chap with four trucks, no trackers and trusts his drivers to do the job they are all capable of doing. Three years to retirement…roll on.

Not a problem with a tracker. I don’t ever get any grief over my routes (as they’re the best routes anyway), and I work for a family firm where you’re spoken to properly and they’re not out to get you. That said I’ve got a good work ethic so like to think I keep below the radar anyway. It’s the drivers that try to take the ■■■■ that would be worried by them when working for a decent employer. There’s been times when I’ve need directions I.e a few of us were clearing out a liquidated industrial unit and were due to rendezvous there at a set time. I got to the industrial estate and asked a few pedestrians where the place was, but none knew, so rang the office and by using the tracker pinpointed where I was and where another of our trucks was that had already arrived. The planner was then able to direct me where to go.

Twoninety88:
I left my last job 6 months ago over the use of trackers. I got fed up explaining weekly why I went a certain route to a destination( weight limit on route, so used the only alternative that was ten miles extra) why It took me 20 minutes to unload 4 packs of bricks at a drop ( I was waiting for the carpenter to find the keys to his van and move it out of the way) and why it took me 25 minutes to leave the yard every morning (Company requires you fill out a 30 point check on the HIAB, as well as checking the crane for operation) plus completing the vehicle daily defect sheet and check every item on the del tickets with what was loaded on the vehicle…oh, and secure the load!

Minute management they called it, so I called it crap and resigned. I now work for a chap with four trucks, no trackers and trusts his drivers to do the job they are all capable of doing. Three years to retirement…roll on.

I would NEVER work or be able to work for winkers like that…end of, and I am amazed that some do.
Those who do must think it’s notmal and know nothing else.

Drivers only have themselves to blame for allowing it to get that way, it should have been nipped in the bud on day 1.
Being tracked is one thing, being spoon fed and arse wiped is another, not to mention that it is a hinderance rather than a help.

A real driver is well capable of carrying out his job. These toss pots who do this, in real terms have nothing to do if their non job :bulb: , is watching you do yours.

We have trackers, and to be fair I am left well alone, on the other hand some of the others on my firm are checked regularly and some are pushed (but not to the extent that you have experienced) which just goes to prove my point, if you stand up to it you are not hassled.

Based on how many phone calls I’ve had in the past asking where I am I’m guessing trackers are a waste of time.

Terry T:
Based on how many phone calls I’ve had in the past asking where I am I’m guessing trackers are a waste of time.

+1. Sounds just like our mob. [emoji3]

Many thanks to everyone who has completed the survey :slight_smile: Also for the posts here, they have made for interesting reading!