Tracing an old motor

Has anyone got any idea how I could maybe trace what was the last surviving Borderer I ran at Bewick Transport reg no ONL 482M I see that it is still supposedly current at the DVLC and when those w-----s at WRM packed up apparently it was dragged out of the graveyard and rumour has it someone on the South coast had bought it but that’s all I know ! I e.mailed the Atki Society to ask if they might know but haven’t had a response as yet !
I just thought it was worth asking on TN :wink: Cheers Bewick.

wagons 057.tif (2.69 MB)

I just looked it up on the DVLA tax register and it hasn’t been taxed since 1991 . It was due on the 1st April 1992 but wasn’t taxed which will probably mean it hasn’t been on the road , on the other hand it wasn’t exported either so it could have been scrapped or could still be where ever it went to . Obviously of no help to you whatsoever . Have a happy new year Dennis

ramone:
I just looked it up on the DVLA tax register and it hasn’t been taxed since 1991 . It was due on the 1st April 1992 but wasn’t taxed which will probably mean it hasn’t been on the road , on the other hand it wasn’t exported either so it could have been scrapped or could still be where ever it went to . Obviously of no help to you whatsoever . Have a happy new year Dennis

Come on “ramone” you’ve got to do better than that ! :unamused: :wink: :wink:
From memory it would have been about that date that the unit was withdrawn from service after working on the fleet since January 1975. And as it was the last surviving Borderer we decided to refurb it and then only occasionally we used it on Trade Plates pulling the recovery trailer and one of our Drivers , Chris Swindlehurst, attended vintage truck shows sometimes.
I bought the unit straight out of Atkinsons, Club St., Bamber Bridge service depot in Jan '75 , it had been supplied as a demo unit to Waugh Road Services of Newcastle on Tyne but apparently the "Pencil Necker " Geordies :blush: :unamused: :confused: couldn’t handle it because “oh didums” it didn’t have power steering ! I kid you not ! Well I painted and lettered it into our McGuffie Transport subsidiary and it went straight to work on double shift , nights to Daventry and back and then either W. ■■■■■■■ or Lancashire/Cheshire/ N. Wales on days.
It always gave faultless service with one of the reasons being it’s great spec ( apart from lack of P/steering :wink: )
■■■■■■■ 220/Fuller 9509/D85 Kirkstall axle.
Great unit one of the best Borderers ever built IMHO !
All the Best to you and yours for 2023

Regards
Dennis.