Toyota hydrogen fuel cell truck - 23 October

Toyota are releasing a tractor unit to complete short haul deliveries arond the Los Angeles area. It has 670 horsepower with 1,325 pounds of torque, and a 200 mile range. I thought I’d post it for those who are interested.

finance.yahoo.com/news/toyota-f … 00639.html

images-29.jpg

I do recall suggesting hydrogen as a fuel cell, it is obvious that they must have read my post.

images-16.jpg

the nodding donkey:

Petrol.

youtube.com/watch?v=H5wmoZ3vDmE

Kerosene ( Diesel ).

youtube.com/watch?v=Hy7osjFyi5I

Nuclear.

youtube.com/watch?v=BfKm0XXfiis

youtube.com/watch?v=CvkrcWpwlYk

Your point being what ?.

UKtramp:
I do recall suggesting hydrogen as a fuel cell, it is obvious that they must have read my post.

1,300 lb/ft torque and 200 miles range for all the complication and expense of a fuell cell/electric drivetrain.As opposed to a spark ignition N14 running on hydrogen they obviously didn’t read mine. :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing:

I’ve been wondering what Toyota have been doing with this. They showed some test footage of a sort of drag race between this and a standard diesel HGV
and it left it standing. Which is a given, since it has an electric drive chain.

I guess the real test is going to come when you pit this against an all electric truck, like the Tesla Semi.

I’ve never liked Hydrogen as a fuel source, electric makes more sense but then that’s me. It’ll be interesting to see how this new Hydrogen vs Electric battle in the
trucking industry pans out. Cars are almost universally going electric, maybe trucks will keep the hydrogen fuel cell dream alive.

ChaosFleabag:
I’ve been wondering what Toyota have been doing with this. They showed some test footage of a sort of drag race between this and a standard diesel HGV
and it left it standing. Which is a given, since it has an electric drive chain.

I guess the real test is going to come when you pit this against an all electric truck, like the Tesla Semi.

I’ve never liked Hydrogen as a fuel source, electric makes more sense but then that’s me. It’ll be interesting to see how this new Hydrogen vs Electric battle in the
trucking industry pans out. Cars are almost universally going electric, maybe trucks will keep the hydrogen fuel cell dream alive.

How does something with 1,300 lb/ft ‘leave’ something with 1,500 lb/ft or more ‘standing’.On that note it obviously depends on exactly ‘what’ they were comparing their toy with and the exact equivalent gross weights ?.Bearing in mind that there is obviously a lot of bs biased political and investment self interest going on here.In the case of the manufacturers arguably trying to create a captive market for an unnecessary,inferior,more expensive,less value for money,technology v ICE. :bulb: