Towing trailers B+E or C1+E (weights, Driver CPC etc.)

Hello folks…I have a couple of questions relating to smaller vehicles:

1. If a newish (car) driver passes his B + E test what is the maximum GTW he can go upto - meaning total vehicle plus trailer weight? I am aware the drawing vehicle cannot exceed 3.5 tonnes MAM/GVW so I suppose I’m asking what size trailer & load can they go upto? I am also aware a Category B only driver cannot exceed 3.5 tonnes and the trailer total cannot exceed the ULW of drawing vehicle, but what about when B+E test is passed?

2. If a driver is using a 3.5 tonne van commercially and he sometimes uses a trailer. Does he require Driver CPC training? Presuming he has Category B+E and C1+E on his licence. I am aware he needs a tachograph for when he is towing. But does he need DCPC??

If answering these questions some viable references to information would be useful.

Thanks in advance Daz.

No dcpc needed Daz and the max gtw that 3.5 tonners go to is 7 tonne ,3.5 tonne is the max for over run brakes any way .

Daz1970:
Hello folks…I have a couple of questions relating to smaller vehicles:

1. If a newish (car) driver passes his B + E test what is the maximum GTW he can go upto - meaning total vehicle plus trailer weight? I am aware the drawing vehicle cannot exceed 3.5 tonnes MAM/GVW so I suppose I’m asking what size trailer & load can they go upto? I am also aware a Category B only driver cannot exceed 3.5 tonnes and the trailer total cannot exceed the ULW of drawing vehicle, but what about when B+E test is passed?

2. If a driver is using a 3.5 tonne van commercially and he sometimes uses a trailer. Does he require Driver CPC training? Presuming he has Category B+E and C1+E on his licence. I am aware he needs a tachograph for when he is towing. But does he need DCPC??

If answering these questions some viable references to information would be useful.

Thanks in advance Daz.

No dcpc - that is for LGV and PCV vehicles

Tacho - possibly if driving commercially and not coming under an exemption

The rule where the trailer MAM cannot exceed the unladen weight of vehicle - which was for B licence towing only - was revoked on 19/01/2013

Using a B towing vehicle (one not more than 3.5 tonnes GVW) a B+E licence driver can tow a trailer up to 3500 kg plated MAM and a driver with C1+E can tow a trailer over 3500 MAM but the trailer would need more than over-run brakes such as air brakes

There are also other things to consider - the GTW which is the maximum actual weight the vehicle and trailer can weigh together and any listed maximum towing capacity set by the manufacturer (see handbook)

It is not always the case that the GTW minus the GVW = the towing capacity

If under tacho regs with trailer on then with trailer off it is recommended to use the tacho in ‘out of scope’ to save loads of questions if stopped

what have I missed?

I am no too hot on operator licence rules so perhaps someone else can help with that but this might help - change horse for goods
vosa.gov.uk/guide-for-horsebox-owners

The other thing is that if your stopped they will want to know what you’ve done in between tacho cards if not digi tacho so a diary is a good idea ,vehicle print outs for 3.5 tonners used in and out of scope dont look good .

Thanks ROG & Dan, great advice - as usual!!! That’s cleared up a few points I was asked about. The 7 tonne rule seems to be sensible and good that no DCPC is needed. Depends how you look at it though - if it was a 3.5 tonner with 16 seats (minibus) then DCPC could be required. Essentially the same vehicle!!!

Im not trying to mix it up a bit here but i heard on my last cpc cause that after december anyone towing a combined 3.5t would need cpc as the caravan world is up in arms over it■■?

The tutor might be off the mark but normally he is on the mark.

No, he is talking nonsense.

Own Account Driver:

+1

Own Account Driver:

I stand corrected !

Tbh prob the only thing i remembered from the last day thinking yes last 1 done lol

Category B+E

You can drive a category B vehicle with a trailer when they have a combined weight over 3,500kg

Category C

You can drive vehicles over 3,500kg (with a trailer up to 750kg).

Category C+E

You can drive category C vehicles with a trailer over 750kg

BaldnMoody:
Category B+E

You can drive a category B vehicle with a trailer when they have a combined MAM weight over 3,500kg

Added MAM because many think its actual weight