Towing trailer 3.5T

a passenger carrying vehicle or motorhome seems to be exempt

No it doesn’t.

As soon as you use it to carry goods or burden in connection with business it becomes subject to commercial vehicle rules.

10. Exemptions
You don’t need a goods vehicle operator’s licence if your vehicle:

is a passenger carrying vehicle

gov.uk/being-a-goods-vehicl … exemptions

motorhomes don’t seem to count either, no regs for towing with a living wagon

kemperink:
10. Exemptions
You don’t need a goods vehicle operator’s licence if your vehicle:

is a passenger carrying vehicle

gov.uk/being-a-goods-vehicl … exemptions

motorhomes don’t seem to count either, no regs for towing with a living wagon

Doesn’t matter as soon as you apply goods or burden those exemptions are lost. With motor homes even a car or motorbike is considered enough to lose motor caravan status and be classified as a living van.

He hasn’t stated what he is carrying. 4x4/Motor Home with a “goods carrying trailer” are required to have a tacho under certain regs (ask Angus Nairn!). If it’s NON commercial then there is no case to answer. I can tow up to 18m with my 4x4 without issue (glider trailer). Not for commercial use, just whizzing about the skies!

gazzer:
He hasn’t stated what he is carrying. 4x4/Motor Home with a “goods carrying trailer” are required to have a tacho under certain regs (ask Angus Nairn!). If it’s NON commercial then there is no case to answer. I can tow up to 18m with my 4x4 without issue (glider trailer). Not for commercial use, just whizzing about the skies!

Your 4x4 is over 3.5t gvw then? Otherwise 7m trailer rule would apply?

gazzer:
I can tow up to 18m with my 4x4 without issue (glider trailer). Not for commercial use, just whizzing about the skies!

You would have a very big issue indeed if you try an 18m trailer behind a 4x4.

coiler:

gazzer:

Your 4x4 is over 3.5t gvw then? Otherwise 7m trailer rule would apply?

Apparently not, a colleague of mine flies gliders and he tows his with his own car. He pointed me to this link, though I’m not sure
how current it is. But it would seem there is an exemption in the C&U regs they can use.