Towing question.

I’ve never paid much attention to this matter as it has never affected me, but I need answers on a particular scenario if possible please chaps. My son in law is 25 years old, passed his car test at 17, hasn’t done the extra test to enable him to pull a trailer, but this weekend coming we’re getting jetski’d up and hitting Skegvegas. I think I read that he can tow a trailer with a combined weight of under 400kg (which obviously a jetski and trailer will). Did I make that up, or am I correct?

if the trailer has a mam up to 750kg he can put it on the back of a tow vehicle of a 3500kg mam, if the trailer is over 750kg mam then the mam of the tow vehicle and the mam of the trailer can be up to 3500kg when added together basically!

gov.uk/towing-with-car/driv … ou-can-tow

Spot on Stevieboy, thank you for your quick response. Looks like a drunken weekend, 5 jetskis, one Zapcat and numerous trips to A&E are on the cards then! :smiley:

i’m not jealous at all fella :laughing: :laughing: have a good’un

zapcat■■?

stevieboy308:
zapcat■■?

Google it mate. Absolutely bonkers and insane! Do about 70 mph flat out (bloody fast on water) and can turn in their own length at that speed! They reckon that they pull something like 3+g during a turn. :smiley:

Looks insane :smiley::D:D

Right - couple of questions…

How much are they?

Where can I get one and how soon?

That looks a right laugh.

(This will teach the wife to say no to having a new bike!)

To tow a trailer over 750 kgs plated MAM on a B licence there is one extra rule on top of the usual towing rules and that one extra rule is -

• the GVW of the towing vehicle added to the plated MAM of the trailer must not add up to more than 3500 kg

GVW, MAM & MTPLM all have the same meaning - the maximum weight something can legally be when fully loaded

kjw21:
Right - couple of questions…

How much are they?

Where can I get one and how soon?

That looks a right laugh.

(This will teach the wife to say no to having a new bike!)

Lol lol lol. My mate paid around 4k two years ago for a brand new one. Thet only come with a 55hp engine, but as they weigh as much as a crisp packet (plus two fat old men of course) they go like the proverbial. There is a race series with one round off Gibraltar (they pay for the boat transport to the venue!) and a handful of events around Britains coast, generally in places with big waves. :smiley: .

I used to race motorcycles semi professionally (well, I got paid) and believe me, travelling in a Zapcat is like having a highside at Charlies once every 20 seconds! The only difference is that you don’t get gravel rash. :smiley:

Like I say I’ll be off the slipway in front of the wind farm at Skeg from early Sat morning until Sunday pm, so if anyone fancies a go, bring a towel and shorts and you’re welcome to join the fun.

Just don’t blame me when you buy one though. :smiley:

Cheers (or ■■■■ off on behalf of my wife)

Try this one KJW21. Go on, you know you want to! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

youtube.com/watch?v=6PpUDTZfWY0

Unfortunately my phone won’t play the clip but guessing by the title it involves face planting the water at a slightly above average pace?

I am beginning to imagine you as the devilish voice in my head that I hear when I end up buying things I really shouldn’t.

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: . You aint my mate Paul are you? He blames me for everything in his life that has gone wrong! I just look at him and say “my work here is done”! :smiley: :smiley:

Really envious. Only had a go on a jet ski once and loved it.

the maoster:

■■■■ those guys are a couple of sandwiches short of a picnic. Where do I sign up■■? :grimacing: :smiling_imp: :grimacing:

the maoster:

pretty bonkers ■■■■ fella :laughing: :laughing:

If you go out on the water, remember that power gives way to sail.

alamcculloch:
If you go out on the water, remember that power gives way to sail.

try that with a supertanker!

The Zapcat has been stolen from its lair in Whaplode. I would ask you guys and girls to keep your eyes open for it please. There are less than 70 of these things in Britain, so as such it’ll stick out a tad. There is a reward for information leading to its recovery. The pic below was taken two weeks ago on some muddy fenland waterway as we practised looking as though we knew what we were doing!