Towing a trailer with a van

Still not a straight simple answer… My take on the OP’s question is yes he can.

When I was a bit younger. Iveco Turbo daily, loaded with tools and spares, towing twin wheel trailer with car on, Never had any problems with the law.

Your answer Rog to Biggriffen then is wrong as you are referring to driver’s license weights and he is referring to actual vehicle and trailer weights irrespective of the driver or licence .

Reads to me like the op got a 5 tonne gross van ?
If it’s a Merc sprinter iirc the max gtw will be 8 tonnes although you can uprate to 8 and a quarter hp and diff ratio depended though .

Punchy Dan:
Your answer Rog to Biggriffen then is wrong as you are referring to driver’s license weights and he is referring to actual vehicle and trailer weights irrespective of the driver or licence .

Cannot have one without the other as they impact on each other

I answered the vehicle and trailer weight issue earlier in the thread

Before Jan 2013. You can tow anysized trailer with a 3.5t B+E

After Jan 2013 you a restricted to a 3.5t trailer with B+E.

:laughing: :smiley: :wink:

ROG:

Punchy Dan:

You better read what BG has asked again ,there’s not a 3.5 tonner in the land that can tow 4 tonne .

Punchy Dan:

ROG:

Punchy Dan:

You better read what BG has asked again ,there’s not a 3.5 tonner in the land that can tow 4 tonne .

I think there is but they are very rare
Huge 3.5 tonne 4x4 flatbed fitted with fifth wheel towing what looks like a super sized caravan
The yanks have loads of them but as I say they are super rare here in the UK

ROG:

Punchy Dan:

ROG:

Punchy Dan:

Huge 3.5 tonne 4x4 flatbed fitted with fifth wheel towing what looks like a super sized caravan

Did you have to ask carryfast for that answer :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Punchy Dan:

ROG:

Punchy Dan:

The OP has clearly asked can a 3.5t gross van with a 1.5t gross trailer be driven on a B + E.
The answer is clearly yes so long as the 3.5t gross van weight ‘includes’ the nose weight of the trailer.That will then = 5t GCW not GVW or GTW.

If the OP really absolutely must load the van to 3.5t gross in its own right ‘and then’ couple it to a 1.5t gross trailer, or even anything up to 3.5t gross trailer, that will mean 5t or 7t GTW respectively but which by definition then needs a proper A frame drawbar trailer.
But still ok to drive on a B + E.
By law you can’t possibly drive 3.5t gross van + 4t gross trailer on a B + E on a licence issued after 2013.Whether GCW or GTW.

ROG:

Punchy Dan:

ROG:

Punchy Dan:

Now if you start driving one of them 5th wheel caravans on a B+E your in for a nice fine,.

biggriffin:
Now if you start driving one of them 5th wheel caravans on a B+E your in for a nice fine,.

Not if got pre 2013 B+E and the set up is 3.5 GVW vehicle with GTW at least 7.5 tonnes and the fifth wheel caravan trailer is plated at 4.0 tonnes fitted with air or electric brakes :smiley:

ROG:

biggriffin:

Not if got pre 2013 B+E and the set up is 3.5 GVW vehicle with GTW at least 7.5 tonnes and the fifth wheel caravan trailer is plated at 4.0 tonnes fitted with air or electric brakes :smiley:

That outfit, like close coupled, ain’t measured as GTW because GTW means the Gross weight of trailer and towing vehicle are measured seperately and only a proper drawbar imposes no weight from the trailer on the towing vehicle.

So what’s the weight of the ‘3.5t’ towing vehicle weighed solo and how much of the 4t trailer weight is on the pin.Those figures added together is your gross towing vehicle weight not 3.5t.GCW is a minefield. :wink:

This .GOV link may provide some assistance.

Section 7 seems interesting, provided that it’s read in conjunction with the whole thing.

:arrow_right: Link to .GOV guidance

There’s also this from .GOV

Some clutching at straws going on here :laughing:

Punchy Dan:
Some clutching at socks going on here :laughing:

Ftfy

Hi All,

Thanks for your responses.
SO… my question was clear, however there has been a collection of different responses.

On the back of this I believe my lad can drive the van and trailer on just his B-E
and i will have him gain his 35 hours CPC■■?

Thanks,

Darren

darren.ovenden:
Hi All,

Thanks for your responses.
SO… my question was clear, however there has been a collection of different responses.

On the back of this I believe my lad can drive the van and trailer on just his B-E
and i will have him gain his 35 hours CPC■■?

Thanks,

Darren

Your question NOT being clear caused different answers!
if 5T vehicle is towing vehicle plus trailer then answer is yes…
if 5t is gwm of towing vehicle, then answer is no.

If towing vehicle is over 3.5 tonnes plated GVW but under 7.5 tonnes plated GVW then LGV C1 is needed to drive it

You stated that driver cpc will be needed so that makes me think it is a LGV C1 vehicle because vehicles under 3.5 do not need driver cpc unless towing a trailer where the plate on the vehicle added to the plate on the trailer totals more than 3.5 tonnes and no exemption applies

ROG:
If towing vehicle is over 3.5 tonnes plated GVW but under 7.5 tonnes plated GVW then LGV C1 is needed to drive it

You stated that driver cpc will be need so that makes me think it is a LGV C1 vehicle because vehicles under 3.5 do not need driver cpc unless towing a trailer where the plate on the vehicle added to the plate on the trailer totals more than 3.5 tonnes and no exemption applies

Rog the last bit reads like the driver of a 3.5 tonne gross vehicle towing a trailer needs a driver cpc ? Which is wrong ,am I being thick or does someone else read it differently?

Punchy Dan:

ROG:

You stated that driver cpc will be needed so that makes me think it is a LGV C1 vehicle because vehicles under 3.5 do not need driver cpc unless towing a trailer where the plate on the vehicle added to the plate on the trailer totals more than 3.5 tonnes and no exemption applies

Rog the last bit reads like the driver of a 3.5 tonne gross vehicle towing a trailer needs a driver cpc ? Which is wrong ,am I being thick or does someone else read it differently?

I think I said it correctly