TOUR DIARY Parts 4 & 5

Yes, its 2 for the price of 1 this week!
Part 4 is a tad uneventful. After the last show in Budapest, our next show wasn’t for another 9days, and was
only a short drive away in Vienna.
As we were unable to stay over at the Budapest venue, and the next venue had events on all week, we
opted to park-up for a few days at the Hungarian/Austrian border at Nickelsdorf. We parked at the Shell
station on the Austrian side, which had all the facilities we would need:- cafe/bar/shower/toilets. Also it
was only a quick hop over the border to the Hungarian side, or a 3km walk to Nickelsdorf village if we
fancied a change of scene. Food was the usual schnitzel/sausage variations, plus my favourite,
Leberkasemmel in its various styles.
On the final night of our stay there, we repositioned the trucks to ensure we could get out easily on the
Sunday morning. This caused quite some consternation amongst the other drivers parked there, as they
couldn’t understand how we were able to drive on a Sunday when they couldn’t. Fortunately, we have
Sunday-driving permits, which they were most interested in when shown!

Leaving on the Sunday morning, it was only a 1hr drive to the Gasometer in Vienna.

Following the luxury of such a short drive, after the Vienna show we were faced with a 775km drive to
Frankfurt. After a week sat about, we again had a day off to get there, so there wasn’t too much pressure, although we wanted to get to the Frankfurt venue early so that we could get into town for a proper day off.
The Jahrhunderthalle sits out of town.so its easily accessed from the Autobahn, and we were parked-up
10hrs 30mins after leaving Vienna.
The load-in there is particularly awkward, as you have to access it by going up a ramp onto the roof of the offices and conference centre. It wasn’t designed in the days of low-ride trucks, so it requires lots of
adjustment with the suspension to avoid damage to both the vehicle and the ramp.

From Frankfurt, we then had a 400km overnight drive to Kempten, down in the South of Germany.
This wa followed by yet another day-off, or travel day to be truthful, up to Trier. We broke the journey up
by stopping off at Toni’s Autohof at Geiselwind. We’d intended to put the trucks through the wash, but
it was broken at the time of our visit, so they’ll have to wait a few more days.
We did, however, manage to have a big plate of ruerheieren & bratkatoffeln each (scrambled egg with
fried potatoes), just to keep us going.

After Trier, it was another overnighter to Emden, up in the Osterfriesland region of Northern Germany, a drive
of 550km. Sitting on the bank of the River Ems, there was a bitterly cold wind blowing in from the sea,
so it was night-heater on and straight to bed after loading-in.
That concludes the last 2weeks of the tour, only another 7 weeks to go if you’re still interested!

Superb diary, thanks for putting them together,along with the photos in the tour truck thread, very interesting work and much appreciated.

Yet a nothere great diary mate

Nice diary and cracking good pics

great pics gb1 and a fascinating diary there. you never replied to my last post, do you think i would be able to get work with a company like yours the kids are really starting to do my head in now. ive driven my car to eastenders before so have some european experience and i guess it cant be that hard can it. look forward to hearing from you.

Very good.

pepperpot:
great pics gb1 and a fascinating diary there. you never replied to my last post, do you think i would be able to get work with a company like yours the kids are really starting to do my head in now. ive driven my car to eastenders before so have some european experience and i guess it cant be that hard can it. look forward to hearing from you.

Hiya pepperpot. Thanks for your comments. In response to the PM you sent me, I think you’ll have
trouble finding employment within this industry. Firstly, whilst I have no reason to disbelieve your claim that
your bus is the original one used by Banana Splits in their TV series, for one I doubt that it would be able
to keep up with the tour vehicles, and secondly that it would be highly unlikely that any production
manager would allow your wife and children to follow the tour, let alone park at each venue.
The photos you sent, whilst “athletic”, would not necessarily endear you to the bands, although I do have
some contacts in Hamburg who may be able to offer some form of employment.

gb1:
…The photos you sent, whilst “athletic”, would not necessarily endear you to the bands, although I do have
some contacts in Hamburg who may be able to offer some form of employment.

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Come on gb1, you cant leave it at that!!!..the mind boggles!! :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

^^^^^^^^^^^^

WHAT BULLITT SAID !!! :laughing: :laughing: :sunglasses:

spill :neutral_face:

shade:
^^^^^^^^^^^^

WHAT BULLITT SAID !!! :laughing: :laughing: :sunglasses:

spill :neutral_face:

The phrase “Blowing your own trumpet” comes to mind!

kin ell

gb1:
The phrase “Blowing your own trumpet” comes to mind!

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Sounds like the Reeperbahn (sp?) is the best place for him then!!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

hiya gb1, iam sorry but i dont play the trumpet do you need to be able to play a musical instrument to work for your company? i used to play the cymbals in boys brigade and whitney can play the recorder if that helps? thanks for your comments but we dont have a barbeque so i guess we wont be able to do a spit roast if you do stop by to see us. safe driving.