Totally new to this

Evening drivers,

I am totally new to this industry. Got my theory tests in December then hoping to get my Class C done in January (lockdown depending).

I will be 25 in December and living in central Scotland. Any advice on companies that take on new drivers? I would quite like to do tipper work.

I am planning on doing my C+E in the spring then trying for a tramping job.

Thanks.

Good news chap,

If it’s tipper work you’re interested in then don’t stress about a getting a licence…of any sort…not even a fishing licence…you’ll fit straight in.

Have you thought about builders merchant work? They often take on new passes and having HIAB experience could open doors to other work (Utilities/muck away etc).
What have you done for work previously?

If you are near the M8 corridor you should get something. There is Pollocks and Scotwaste doing tippers.

If you have a heavy right foot try youll & dodds :grimacing:

stargazer148:

Yuill & Dodds will definitly take him as a new start but he would need to forget some of the things he was taught in training.
Things like stopping at red lights, slowing down for pedestrians, slowing down in general, using indicators and such like

Thanks everyone for the advice!!

love the humour

The-Snowman:

stargazer148:

Yuill & Dodds will definitly take him as a new start but he would need to forget some of the things he was taught in training.
Things like stopping at red lights, slowing down for pedestrians, slowing down in general, using indicators and such like

You forgot speaking English :grimacing: cheers Ray

I don’t suppose anyone could shed any light on the sort of money I would get tramping class 1?

Youll get a range of responses to that question. Always followed by someone saying: "I wouldnt get out of bed for that".

scottishdriver1:
love the humour

^^^^ The perfect attitude! Don’t take yourself too seriously, don’t take the job too seriously, be prepared to take the ■■■■, be prepared to have the ■■■■ taken out of you, bear that with good grace and you may not ever be wealthy monetarily but you’ll be rich in life.

Good luck.

Speaking as somebody who has done most type of haulage over the years, , tipper work would be at the bottom of my list…but each to his own.

scottishdriver1:
I don’t suppose anyone could shed any light on the sort of money I would get tramping class 1?

You are in Scotland so ballpark for 60 hours including your night out money expect £500 to £600 take home for day shifts no weekends. Could see £100 either side of that depending on who it’s driving for.

Mick Bracewell:
ballpark for 60 hours including your night out money expect £500 to £600 take home for day shifts no weekends. Could see £100 either side of that depending on who it’s driving for.

I wouldnt get out of bed for that…

One thing that should be added is a lot of tramping jobs will include night out subsistence allowance (the tax free bit) in the wages they quote.

You shouldn’t include that as its your food / drink money and inconvenience for geing away from home allowance (like some jobs pay for a hotel and meals when people work from home).

Plus check if they pay for parking as msny don’t, so that’s either £20+ out of your pocket or a layby / ind estate* with no facilities.

• I suspect Robroy will object, but when you’re starting out, you dont know the good ones near facilities.

Oh re tippers - usually alright money but they normally run you ragged especially those who’ll take on new passes. Some are absolute nutjobs.

The-Snowman:

Mick Bracewell:
ballpark for 60 hours including your night out money expect £500 to £600 take home for day shifts no weekends. Could see £100 either side of that depending on who it’s driving for.

I wouldnt get out of bed for that…

:wink: