Totaldriving.net

Hey anyone from the essex/Suffolk area?

I’m probably going to request start training next month or March, these guys seem like the best around in my opinion. Their website is very clear and detailed, and they seem like the only one’s around who use an artic, not a drawbar. Anyway I’ve been quoted £2660 all in, and the pass rates are higher in Ipswich than in Chelmsford, according to Gov website. I know there are a few trainers on here, anyone feel free to comment

Cheers all

I would check out the link on here to all the approved trainers.Just in case they are a broker.Quite a few people train in a wag and drag.Easier to pass in apparently.

Yeah, but then they jump in an artic first day on job and don’t know how to use it, or hook it up. Might as well train in what your more than likely gonna end up in.
That’s my plan anyway :sunglasses:

I don’t know the company. My only comment is that they have an unusual taste in training vehicle. But to each their own.

All the best, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

totaldriving.net/lgv-hgv-training/
Not come across any other posts on them

Morning Rog, Pete,

Please explain ‘unusual’ Pete, if I’m thinking of training with them, I’d value your opinion :slight_smile:

Been in touch with a few training companies around, they seem like the front runners! just gotta save up a bit more first. Will definitely go and check them out in person before I hand over any funds.

Cheers

Dan Bear 87:

We are a trainer based in Chelmsford, Essex

Dan Bear 87:
and they seem like the only one’s around who use an artic, not a drawbar

There are several trainers that use an artic and use the Chelmsford test centre. K&W and Daughters in Maldon, ACE training nr Harlow and RSM in Basildon. We use drawbar for the C+E training mainly due to the higher 1st time pass rate and the far lower training costs.

Dan Bear 87:
Anyway I’ve been quoted £2660 all in,

You really should call round and compare the different options. For example our price for Cat C + Cat CE is £1699 and that includes the medical, theory test fees, practical test fees and 1 free retest training day (hopefully not needed). Our students often book a few hours training with one of the above mentioned trainers after passing C+E to get used to an artic.

Don’t forget you will need either the Initial or 35 hours Periodic CPC, depending on when you passed the car test.

They don’t look like a broker but I have never seen them using the Chelmsford centre.

Dan Bear 87:

I’m probably going to request start training next month or March, these guys seem like the best around in my opinion. Their website is very clear and detailed, and they seem like the only one’s around who use an artic, not a drawbar. Anyway I’ve been quoted £2660 all in, and the pass rates are higher in Ipswich than in Chelmsford, according to Gov website. I know there are a few trainers on here, anyone feel free to comment

Cheers all

I recomend John at Flair Training Chelmsford.

Paul :smiley:

Please explain ‘unusual’ Pete

Firstly, let’s be clear that it’s 100% up to the trainer what vehicles they choose to operate - provided they fit the DVSA minimum test vehicle rules. Naturally, most trainers will try to acquire vehicles that are easy to use for training.

Their website shows 2 Opticruise vehicles. These are a strange animal. They have 3 pedals but operate as an auto once moving. So you use the clutch to move off and stop. But the gears change on their own. I have had a little experience using these for training and I’m not impressed. Can be very confusing.

The 26t vehicle is a 6x2 with a rear lift axle. This will give a horrendous rear overhang to contend with when making turns in restricted spaces.

The other side of the coin is that, if you can steer that 6 x 2 in tricky places, you’re well prepared for the real world. So far as Opticruise goes, great if that’s what you end up driving having passed.

I, personally, wouldn’t have any of those vehicles on my fleet. It may well be that they wouldn’t entertain mine! Like I say, it’s down to trainer choice.

For me, I’ve always tried to make the training as simple as possible. Some trainers, not referring to Total Training, will buy whatever is cheap at the time.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Shop around. From their own website the prices are
C Courses from just £812.50 inc. Test Fee
C+E Courses from just £925 inc. Test Fee
A medical is probably around £100 from your own doctor, less from driversmedicals.com
Then the theory costs, if not already included above (£50 ?).
So your quote of £2660 seems very high.

If it is the Scania Opticruise ( or hybrid as I call it ) I would be very careful as I found them the most uncomfortable things to drive you sit slightly off centre as Peter says you use the clutch for moving off stopping ( has been know for a few of us drivers to forget :blush: & stall :blush: ) so if you do this on test you just might fail

The gears are on a stalk from the steering wheel I dislike the gears box so do many others

I used John at Flair training passed no problems can recommend

For Essex, you wouldn’t go far wrong with John at Flair.

Pete :laughing: :laughing: