Total idiot agency

Today i rang an agency …one of the biggest in the country, im semi retired and only want 2-3 days or nights a week, the job was for 7.5 tonne fridge work, this plank…bloke on the phone asked me the useual questions age etc, he then asked me when did you last drive a 7.5 tonne truck…i said oh must be 3-4 yrs back…but ive got 28 yrs experience on class 1 , oh rite he said, but havnt you driven a 7.5 tonne in the past 2yrs ? no ! ah my clients need referances to say you have driven 7.5 's in the past 2 yrs…sorry cant help you, i honestly thought this was a wind up…i said are you joking ? no its company policy cant help you…i cant get my breath are these people real ? i was [zb] fumeing inside, are they paid to be awkward and talk [zb] ? i wont be going down that route again.

You got to do what they do to you [zb].

He was probably getting his instructions from an unelected official in Brussels, of course it is insane !!!

If they lie to you, lie back.

Of COURSE you’ve been driving any vehicle they care to name on a regular basis for the entire 28 years you’ve been driving…

You can prove it by driving it incident-free after all, with your shiny licence. Who’s gonna prove you lied?

Eventually, every driver is going to be self-employed and carrying their own insurance, so this 2 year ■■■■■■■■ will end.

Winseer:

Of COURSE you’ve been driving any vehicle they care to name on a regular basis for the entire 28 years you’ve been driving…

You can prove it by driving it incident-free after all, with your shiny licence. Who’s gonna prove you lied?

Eventually, every driver is going to be self-employed and carrying their own insurance, so this 2 year ■■■■■■■■ will end.

"Eventually, every driver is going to be self-employed and carrying their own insurance, so this 2 year ■■■■■■■■ will end"

Then it’s good riddance to the Agencies.!!

its like the time i got asked if i could drive a class 2…after spending half my shift driving an artic (there was only one rigid at livingston at that point)

me and a few other drivers just stood and looked at the guy like he had just asked us to whip our bits out and when i said i can drive an artic he said “Aye but can you drive a class 2…”

I’ll name and shame - Pertemps said exactly the same to me some time ago. There are enough agencies around that don’t have the same rule so it’s their loss.

gogzy:
its like the time i got asked if i could drive a class 2…after spending half my shift driving an artic (there was only one rigid at livingston at that point)

me and a few other drivers just stood and looked at the guy like he had just asked us to whip our bits out and when i said i can drive an artic he said “Aye but can you drive a class 2…”

in fear of being shot down but… I have been driving a very long over hanging Class 2 for a few months instead of Class 1 and they can be hard work in town plus you have to be more aware of swing out etc. Very easy to prang one.

midlifetrucker:

gogzy:

in fear of being shot down but… I have been driving a very long over hanging Class 2 for a few months instead of Class 1 and they can be hard work in town plus you have to be more aware of swing out etc. Very easy to prang one.

+1 on this. You may well be the best artic driver God ever put breath into, but with all due respect it takes just one second’s forgetting that this one don’t bend in the middle to come horribly unstuck.

I’d go as far as to give credit to the TM, planner or whoever it was that had the guts to ask the question. It’s a fair one; of course it could also have been a crafty ploy to see if you’re one of those artic drivers who thinks that driving a mere rigid is beneath them. :wink:

shytalk:
Today i rang an agency …one of the biggest in the country, im semi retired and only want 2-3 days or nights a week, the job was for 7.5 tonne fridge work, this plank…bloke on the phone asked me the useual questions age etc, he then asked me when did you last drive a 7.5 tonne truck…i said oh must be 3-4 yrs back…but ive got 28 yrs experience on class 1 , oh rite he said, but havnt you driven a 7.5 tonne in the past 2yrs ? no ! ah my clients need referances to say you have driven 7.5 's in the past 2 yrs…sorry cant help you, i honestly thought this was a wind up…i said are you joking ? no its company policy cant help you…i cant get my breath are these people real ? i was [zb] fumeing inside, are they paid to be awkward and talk [zb] ? i wont be going down that route again.

Shytalk, ring 'em back and ask to speak to the consultant who specifically deals with driving, and if he or she ain’t available, ask to speak to the office supervisor. I know some of you think I defend agencies at any cost, but this looks to me like the wrong person (could be new on the job or don’t usually deal with drivers) answered the phone, and completely misunderstood the job description. No agency that I know of would turn away a driver who, I would assume, has a Class 1. More a misunderstanding than deliberate policy for my money.

I always found it difficult going from an artic to a rigid especially reversing I’d be all over the place. Driving an artic has no bearing on driving a rigid some drivers might not of driven a rigid since passing their tests and be complete ■■■■■ when it comes to anything other then an artic.

OllieNotts:
I always found it difficult going from an artic to a rigid especially reversing I’d be all over the place. Driving an artic has no bearing on driving a rigid some drivers might not of driven a rigid since passing their tests and be complete [zb] when it comes to anything other then an artic.

Yeh you’re right on that mate, but let’s get this into perspective ffs, if you can drive an artic proficiently you can drive any road vehicle with wheels, so you adapt, we all drive cars at weekends a rigid is the same principle but bigger, again…you adapt.
This just sounds like an 18yr old fully qualified “logistics distribution and personell provision manager” :unamused: , or whatever non job title he calls himself (when in reality knows ■■■■ all about real transport work) telling a driver with maybe 30+yrs experience that he isn’t suitable to drive a zb ing 7and half tonner :open_mouth: , and possibly going on to take on his mate who he went to school with with 5mins experience, or the minimum required, who would more than likely make a complete balls up of the job… through lack of experience, a classic example of how things are done today.

mastesallan:

Winseer:

"Eventually, every driver is going to be self-employed and carrying their own insurance, so this 2 year ■■■■■■■■ will end"

Then it’s good riddance to the Agencies.!!

…That’s not how I would interpret it. The drive to get more bods on self employed comes from agencies in the first place, with the pushing onto umbrella and the like. No NICS to pay (for them!), No Insurance, etc.

Do unknown drivers really turn up at some yard with the “Gis a Job” line when they are effectively talking about being the firm’s regular contractor?
Is there such a thing as a “Full Time Steady Job” if you are self employed? Surely you have no rights, pay for all the overheads, and can be got rid of at the drop of a hat - the same as agency staff. :confused:

I’d say there’s a danger that EVERYONE will be a “contractor” with or without an agency, and there’ll be no actual full time jobs left before long - IF we don’t get away from this outmoded “Just In Time” model for doing business that I’ve banged on about in other threads. :imp:

OllieNotts:
I always found it difficult going from an artic to a rigid especially reversing I’d be all over the place. Driving an artic has no bearing on driving a rigid some drivers might not of driven a rigid since passing their tests and be complete [zb] when it comes to anything other then an artic.

…And to think that ex-royal mail drivers are considered a “cut below” despite having nearly every day driving a variety of different vehicles. I’d usually find myself driving Class 1 for my main shift, class 2 on overtime, with a couple of runs in sherpa vans and a minibus chucked in on top when I was there. :wink:

Funny enough, I never got on with Sherpa vans because it’s like trying to drive a dog kennel wearing blinkers to me! :blush: :open_mouth:
If I got sent somewhere to pick up a couple of bags of items with a sherpa, I’d sidestep and take the minibus wherever possible. :unamused:

The Op was refused a 7.5t job despite the years driving an artic and people defend the ■■■■ that decided this?

Yes, some class 2 have a large overhang but a 7.5t puddle jumper?

I wonder what ridiculous, petty ■■■■■■■■ rules they’ll come up with next?

Truckulent:
The Op was refused a 7.5t job despite the years driving an artic and people defend the [zb] that decided this?

Yes, some class 2 have a large overhang but a 7.5t puddle jumper?

I wonder what ridiculous, petty [zb] rules they’ll come up with next?

I’ve already suggested one possibility; that whoever took the initial call was perhaps new to the job and reading from a script.

Here’s another scenario. You’ve got a client wanting 7.5 tonne fridge drivers. Now you and I know ■■■■ well there ain’t gonna be no one-hit trunking on that, it’ll be multi-drop and busy multi-drop at that.

Have you any idea of how many enquiries the typical agency gets from placing an ad like that? And how many candidates turn out to be totally unsuited? Let me tell you, it’s bloody dozens. And half of the ones you set up an interview with won’t turn up.

So you’ve got an ex-Class 1 man ringing up, just wanting a few shifts. Your own experience of Class 1 drivers is that two drops constitutes multi-drop and as for hand-ball… forget it. Okay, you’ve let your pre-conceptions rule here but when you’ve got half a dozen phones ringing and a list of potential candidates as long as yer arm already, you read (perhaps erroneously) between the lines and decide that this guty ain’t what your client is looking for. The OP does not actually say that he still HAS a class 1; I’m going to presume he hasn’t here and from personal experience, without meaning any dis-respect to the OP, such guys are often difficult to place. So you shoot him a line and get on to the next one.

Now that is not how a good consultant should work; but if he’s a young lad with no past experience of the actual driving job himself, that’s what happens. The Catch-22 situation is that recruitment is a business more suited to young people with sales ability, rather than jaded ex-TM/driver types like me who know a bit about the job. That is why I got out of it before it burned me out; but it’s also a big reason why drivers in general do have a dim view of most consultants.

Sidevalve is right, somebody who has been driving artics for 28 years would probably be in for the shock of their lives if given 20 drops in a 7.5tonner to do. It’s a different world.

I agree, and if the ‘consultant’ had more experience he would have been asking about multi-drop and handball experience.

Not all class one work is one or two hits. My last job often meant 6 or 8 drops in the morning followed by four or five collections, all over East Birmingham, or sometimes Milton Keynes. Mostly FLT but one or two regulars expected the driver to handball the stuff from their factory and then stack and wrap the pallet on the bed of the truck. Some deliveries were to private houses and they tend not to have FLTs either.

Agencies are all crap and liars, find another if you need to or go freelance and self employed, you will be your own boss and you can charge a lower rate than the agencies and take work away from them. :slight_smile:

Thanks everyone for the advice etc, ive driven trucks since 1976…TK Bedford was my first, then i was asked to take my rigid class 3 as it was then,and finaly onto artics, ive driven most types from 7.5 tonne …tippers mixers…tankers flatbeds, curtains …tilts…containers…fridges…i can strap , chain and rope and sheet…not roped and sheeted a trailer for a long time and i dont want to see another, im versatile i can drive manual…auto…semi auto…oh and i forgot i did have my psv…i taught HGV…PSV for 7yrs, so in the past 4 yrs ive had health problems…legs…blood pressure, plus ops on both knees, someone said on the thread that i mite not still hold my class 1 or somat like that, i do have my class 1 one but failed my medical so i couldnt drive bendys…so rather than the dole i took early retirement private pensions…not state, now i dont want to sit the dcpc as many of you may know…made it quite clear on my thoughts on that ! so im bored at home and get under the old lasses feet sometimes and wanted a bit of work 2-3 days or nights just to get me out, ive got grandfather rites until next year Whoopee ! anyway i got shot down in flames by this agency…so ill have to keep going in the garden shed and potter… pipe and slippers is nearer than i thought, sorry for going on a bit but thanks all, shytalk… :sunglasses:

shytalk:

This is simply due to the idiotic demands of the insurance companies.
As others have already stated, the best solution is to avoid agencies.