Total Duty time

Hi there,

Quick and simple question, whats the total Duty time you are allowed under EU rules?

AaronR

AaronR:
Hi there,

Quick and simple question, whats the total Duty time you are allowed under EU rules?

AaronR

For the EU regs - 15 hours max in any 24 hour period - as a minimum of 9 hours REST is required in any 24 hour period BUT you can only do that for a maximum of THREE times BETWEEN WEEKLY REST PERIODS (not to be confused with three times a week)

Was this the answer you wanted or were you wanting the maximum WORKING (driving+ other work) time that can be done in a week ■■?

AaronR:
Hi there,

AaronR

You are coming at it from the wrong direction. The rules do not define, or even mention, any maximum limits on duty time and are built around the amount of rest required in a 24 or 30 hour period, commencing when you resume work after a rest period. The duty time varies depending on a number of factors. Reduced daily rest periods available or not and whether working under single or multi manned rules.

i always thought it was illegal for anyone to plan a driver for a 15 hour day, and thought the average working day was/is 13 hrs…the 15 hr day was brought in to allow a driver time to finish his day and to find a safe place to park…interpreting the rules then if like me you never have a reduced rest…then an 11 hour rest will only give a 13 hour day, or if you rest for 9 hours, will in effect give you a 15 hour day, of course all these rules are based in any period of 24 hours.

truckyboy:
i always thought it was illegal for anyone to plan a driver for a 15 hour day

perfectly legal

ROG:

truckyboy:

perfectly legal

Nope i disagree ‘a reduced rest of 9 nine hours’ is taken at the drivers discretion not the operators !!
if they plan you for a reduced rest without your consent they are breaking the law by forcing you to work over your standard working hours as laid down in the driving rules

regards
Steve

gm:

ROG:

truckyboy:

perfectly legal

Nope i disagree ‘a reduced rest of 9 nine hours’ is taken at the drivers discretion not the operators !!
if they plan you for a reduced rest without your consent they are breaking the law by forcing you to work over your standard working hours as laid down in the driving rules

regards
Steve

Nonsense. All a company has to do is make sure the tacho regulations are complied with and if a driver has reduced rests available the company break no rules by scheduling the work to take advantage of that. It is a Driver’s Urban Myth that it is up to the driver whether he reduces or not, as far as the tacho rules are concerned. Sure the driver could claim he is too tired to drive and refuse on those grounds but do that too many times and he could find himself out of work when the company claim he is not suitable for the job as he is always tired.

gm:

ROG:

truckyboy:

perfectly legal

regards
Steve

I do believe, that unless stated otherwise in your contract of employment, your company can indeed plan to your maximum hours available, including reduced rests.

I await correction… :unamused:

This is a strange one - i just checked the Vosa dft websites and it says for trucks a reduced rest can be taken but for coaches/buses the driver can opt to take - so it seems two different rules - i was always taught it was up to me - and i will still always use this and if its not beneficial they can get stuffed - try to sack me then lol

• TBH its a typical VOSA cockup - one rule for one and not the other
    i’ll email them (VOSA) this week and ask why coach drivers have a choice and truck drivers don’t yet we should follow the same rules and see what they say
    cheers
    Steve

As I am often reminded on this site -

VOSA only produce a GUIDE to the regs - VOSA GUIDE

It’s the regs themselves that are the rules - EU DRIVER REGS

What does it say in the latter as that is the one to go by

gm:
This is a strange one - i just checked the Vosa dft websites and it says for trucks a reduced rest can be taken but for coaches/buses the driver can opt to take - so it seems two different rules - i was always taught it was up to me - and i will still always use this and if its not beneficial they can get stuffed - try to sack me then lol

• TBH its a typical VOSA cockup - one rule for one and not the other
    i’ll email them (VOSA) this week and ask why coach drivers have a choice and truck drivers don’t yet we should follow the same rules and see what they say
    cheers
    Steve

The DFT VOSA Guides GV262 seem to agree between passenger vehicles and goods vehicles, with only one word difference. “and”

Goods Vehicles
A driver may reduce his daily rest period to no less than 9 continuous hours, but this can be done no more than three times between any two weekly rest periods, and no compensation for the reduction is required. A daily rest that is less than 11 hours but at least 9 hours long is called a reduced daily rest period.

Passenger Vehicles
A driver may reduce his daily rest period to no less than 9 continuous hours, but this can be done no more than three times between any two weekly rest periods; no compensation for the reduction is required. A daily rest that is less than 11 hours but at least 9 hours long is called a reduced daily rest period.

In fact within the 561/2006 official regulations, it appears that the only “choice” a driver has, is where to sleep. This is straight after the regulation saying how a daily rest can be reduced.

Where a driver chooses to do this, daily rest periods and
reduced weekly rest periods away from base may be taken in a
vehicle, as long as it has suitable sleeping facilities for each
driver and the vehicle is stationary.