Tosco

It won’t let me post the link but according to the guardian tesco are under formal investigation regarding dealings with suppliers. About time.

news.sky.com/story/1421671/tesco … -practices

Thanks

Not really sure how this affects us it’s about how they treat and pay the people that supply the products . Not the third party that delivers it or how long we sit in a waiting room . They’re are a lot of people out there glad of how they treat suppliers so they get a perceived bargain off the shelves

chester1:
Not really sure how this affects us it’s about how they treat and pay the people that supply the products . Not the third party that delivers it or how long we sit in a waiting room . They’re are a lot of people out there glad of how they treat suppliers so they get a perceived bargain off the shelves

Tell that to all the Samworth drivers

At the risk of being slapped own for my comments, just my two cents worth.
Yes, Tesco are doing a bad practice, but I think some of the blame lays with the supplier.
For instance, you sell a product with a small profit margin.
What business sense is there in then paying your customer to take/promote or whatever your stuff. This “cost” must come off your bottom line.
If it’s sold as advertising and your product gets country wide exposure through different media, then good.
But what happens when Tesco drop you as a supplier, no market, no advertising, bye bye supplier.
Cheers
Paul

(live from his bunker)

PS don’t get me started on the production cost vs supermarket price of milk…

sonflowerinwales:

You mean the milk that is being produced by farmers at a far higher rate than demand is, that ends up being turned into butter and cheese to be added to the food mountain and that they get significant sums of EU money for?

Always makes me chuckle when I hear of farmers saying they’ve been selling milk at a loss for the last 10 years. No business can sustain running at a loss for that. It probably is being sold at loss when you choose to ignore the subsidies you get and go by what you put down on paper. Its quite easy to run a business at a loss on paper yet actually make money from it.

Conor:

sonflowerinwales:

You mean the milk that is being produced by farmers at a far higher rate than demand is, that ends up being turned into butter and cheese to be added to the food mountain and that they get significant sums of EU money for?

Always makes me chuckle when I hear of farmers saying they’ve been selling milk at a loss for the last 10 years. No business can sustain running at a loss for that. It probably is being sold at loss when you choose to ignore the subsidies you get and go by what you put down on paper. Its quite easy to run a business at a loss on paper yet actually make money from it.

I’ve yet to see a poor farmer.

dairyco.org.uk/market-inform … NOvPp2sVV0

Subsidies are the only thing keeping things going. What most don’t seem to realise is that the whole system is designed to keep food prices artificially low for the consumer, what has happened is that as competition has reduced, the processors and retailers have over time have hiked consumer prices while using their market power to hammer primary producers and in some cases deliberately putting them out of business. Think what Stobart and the like have done to haulage.

If the agri subsidies went you’d see a massive rise in diseases like Rickets, due to malnutrition. In any case there are very very few businesses/industries that aren’t being subsidised or ‘pump primed’ by the European tax payer. Over the last 20 odd years agricultural production has been exported to southern and eastern europe, just try getting some genuine British pork, bacon, poultry, apples, pears…

lefkasman:

chester1:

Don’t know what happened to the Samworth drivers but arnt Samworths a supplier not a third party haulier

chester1:

lefkasman:

chester1:

Don’t know what happened to the Samworth drivers but arnt Samworths a supplier not a third party haulier

Dont you think the actions of tesco,s have an effect on the supplier which will in turn have an effect on the haulier? Third party or not.

lefkasman:

chester1:

lefkasman:

chester1:

Dont you think the actions of tesco,s have an effect on the supplier which will in turn have an effect on the haulier? Third party or not.

of course it has an effect on the supplier but remember Tesco won’t be there only customer so will still have money coming in from other customers to pay bills

chester1:

lefkasman:

chester1:

lefkasman:

chester1:

of course it has an effect on the supplier but remember Tesco won’t be there only customer so will still have money coming in from other customers to pay bills

It doesn’t affect me either as I neither shop at tesco or any of the supermarkets or drive a truck. I just thought the article might be of interest to some of the drivers who have to deal with them on a regular basis. I’ll take it I was wrong.