#TopTips video. Should I Bother?

lynchy:

switchlogic:

Grumpy_old_trucker:
You asked for my thoughts, wether you agree with or dislike them I don’t care.
My opinion is you’re an attention seeker who seems to be under the impression that people are interested.

I’m not sure I’ll ever recover from this awful blow… :unamused: You seem to be under the impression that criticism by an anonymous Trucknetter has any impact

By replying,you prove it does,post them /don’t why come looking for attention.zzzzzzzzz

Be handy if you read all the comments before replying and making yourself look silly

switchlogic:

Grumpy_old_trucker:
you’re an attention seeker

No s…t Sherlock. What gave it away, the Facebook page? Twitter account? Instagram maybe? The fact I’ve been making videos for YouTube over a decade? Subtle hints

switchlogic:
Am I an attention seeker as first comment claimed? I’ve been a YouTuber overa decade, Of course I f***ing am! I’ll let you into a secret- if attention seekers stopped seeking attention tomorrow your tv, your radio, your cinema would go very quiet. Wanting to provide people with entertainment and enjoyment really isn’t a bad thing now is it.

lynchy:
post them /don’t why come looking for attention.zzzzzzzzz

You don’t really get the internet do you? It’s how social media works (yes this is social media)

A bit of reading helps before commenting and looking like a silly billy. God speed and goodnight x

I want to see a video on how to unload light parcels from a 45’ box trailer without breaking your back or injuring others.

I know you said it would not interest experienced drivers, and neither was it aimed at us, but out of curiosity I had a look.
(Btw…I’ve appointed myself Trucknets chief reviewer and critic on EVERYTHING ,.after my highly successful ‘Rob’s Pot Noodle’ endorsement campaign. :laughing: :laughing: :unamused: )
So…

I particularly like the way you deliver it, in an informal chatty way, on like an equal footing to the guys you are talking to, and in no way coming across as patronising, or 'superior, in your knowledge or experience to your audience…it’s as if you are in a cafe or a bar with someone on a one to one chat over a coffee.

I liked the way you covered the moaners, the ferry bullshitters, :smiley: and the bit about wanting to and offering to help,.and how it would go a long way.
Speaking from experience the amount of moaning and cynicism has a direct correlation to the way you are treated and looked upon by your firm, you’ll go to the far end of the earth to help a good boss/firm, but the direct opposite to a bad one, ie.‘reap what they sow’, (Consequently I’m pretty confident I will come across on here in your top 5 ‘moaners’, but least said about my lot the better. :laughing: )

You should maybe have warned them about the pushers and the abusers,.and how it was THEIR (hard earned) licence at the end of the day…or you maybe did and I missed it. :blush: :smiley: .
So if I was just starting out, I would have found your info helpful and informative.

A few months ago there was a similar thread about those ‘Trucking Legends’ crew :unamused: , who were attempting something similar, the guy who’s name escapes me who used to originally create situations on the road,.and kick off for effect,.and a guy who was your namesake.
His delivery was in stark contrast to yours, he sat there in an air of 'I know it all/done it all believing his own hype (which was a bit rich as his licence ink had hardly dried. :unamused: ) and was quite obviously high on his sychophantic ‘fan base’ , and coming across as if he was some kind of celebrity. :laughing: …just my opinion btw.

So keep it up mate.

(Note…My address for my payment on pm as we agreed :laughing: )

robroy:

1. I particularly like the way you deliver it, in an informal chatty way, on like an equal footing to the guys you are talking to, and in no way coming across as patronising, or 'superior, in your knowledge or experience to your audience…it’s as if you are in a cafe or a bar with someone on a one to one chat over a coffee.

2. Speaking from experience the amount of moaning and cynicism has a direct correlation to the way you are treated and looked upon by your firm, you’ll go to the far end of the earth to help a good boss/firm, but the direct opposite to a bad one, ie.‘reap what they sow’, (Consequently I’m pretty confident I will come across on here in your top 5 ‘moaners’, but least said about my lot the better. :laughing: )

3. You should maybe have warned them about the pushers and the abusers,.and how it was THEIR (hard earned) licence at the end of the day…or you maybe did and I missed it. :blush: :smiley: .
    So if I was just starting out, I would have found your info helpful and informative.

4. A few months ago there was a similar thread about those ‘Trucking Legends’ crew :unamused: , who were attempting something similar, the guy who’s name escapes me who used to originally create situations on the road,.and kick off for effect,.and a guy who was your namesake.
    His delivery was in stark contrast to yours, he sat there in an air of 'I know it all/done it all believing his own hype (which was a bit rich as his licence ink had hardly dried. :unamused: ) and was quite obviously high on his sychophantic ‘fan base’ , and coming across as if he was some kind of celebrity. :laughing: …just my opinion btw.

So keep it up mate.

(Note…My address for my payment on pm as we agreed :laughing: )

1. Thanks for this, great to hear this is how it comes across. After I started Virginia and when it bacame apparent it was my dream job friends and family were very interested. I could be delivering in Naples one week, Porto another and Stockholm another with 15 drops Smithfield in the middle and car parts in a curtainsider to Swindon I found pictures didn’t really do job justice, esp when battling bad weather. So eventually I just thought I’d stitch them all together and post to see if anyone were interested, and the rest is history! So that’s why they are like they are, at first I was just talking to friends and family. And now at this stage I’d class many who regularly contact me as friends. So yes the friendliness is completely genuine. The only reason I do them is to provide enjoyment and education not because I think I’m better than anyone.

2. Exactly. In every job I’ve had you have the characters who are never happy, moan about everything seemingly believing that they’ll be cheated if not whinging. As I say in video my face fits because I work with them, not against them. I make it fit. (You’re actually one of members who’s opinion I respect, even if I do pick holes in it occasionally. Moaning can and does have its place)

3. The other lad on this thread mentioned this and you’re both right. Probably going to make a video about just that, things to be wary of, what not

4. I’ve never watched any other trucking vloggers videos, not through some sense of superiority but just not wanting to be influenced by others and not being that interest in their job. Some of them are very slick with great logos and high quality video etc. No one could ever call mine slick! But it was a conscious decision. I and many others sort of like the ramshackle charm! As for crest drama for videos…as you know there’s very little drama in my videos. I just want to portray what it is in a sensible light. It’s even rare that I shout at other drivers in normal life so certainly not in videos (been off outs burst tho) tend to breeze through my day with as little stress as possible! I go weeks/months between times blowing horn in anger! I also never use my platform to settle scores, get even etc. That would be abusing it.

I get why some don’t like me, I’m a fairly annoyingly loud character for some, but shy they feel need to tell me I don’t know! ‘@Smith_56871888262 on Trucknet hates me. That’s it I’m giving upa’ isn’t something you’ll hear me mutter

Thanks for comments all

Wheel Nut:
I want to see a video on how to unload light parcels from a 45’ box trailer without breaking your back or injuring others.

Deal! :smiley:

As the old saying goes “everyday is a school day” and that also applies to veterans in this industry too. The first time I used the channel tunnel a few years ago I happened to stumble across a video you had made about that. No doubt I would have managed the “ordeal” just fine like anything else we do in life for the first time, but I found your video as both informative and not the least daunting. So thank you for that and carry on sir!

hipsway:
As the old saying goes “everyday is a school day” and that also applies to veterans in this industry too. The first time I used the channel tunnel a few years ago I happened to stumble across a video you had made about that. No doubt I would have managed the “ordeal” just fine like anything else we do in life for the first time, but I found your video as both informative and not the least daunting. So thank you for that and carry on sir!

That’s good to hear as first time I got on the train I took the diesel tank brackets and straps off and burst a tyre!* In my defence it was after about 20 hours of working striight through and a left hand drive having only been driving LHD for 3 days

*Watch Carryfast mention this to death now in attempts to prove I had it easy

Roadcraft and etiquette would be worth a thought

Socketset:
Roadcraft and etiquette would be worth a thought

Yes I’m going to fold that into the video idea Robroy had idea of, general behaviour and such. Any things anyone thinks of feel free to comment. Like pulling off pumps when fuelled, helping at junctions etc

switchlogic:

Wheel Nut:

You’d have no experience or knowledge of that! I could put you in touch with a bloke. :laughing:

Star down under.:

switchlogic:

Wheel Nut:

You’d have no experience or knowledge of that! I could put you in touch with a bloke. :laughing:

:smiley: :wink:
I’ll have you know I unloaded 3 small boxes once, I’ve not had a pain free day since!

switchlogic:
So I’ve started a series of videos where I hand down advice like a pretentious old boll ock to young and new drivers! This is my latest, answering wether to bother getting your licence. Obviously this is simply my opinion, and my opinion is no more or less valid than anyone else’s, just another voice to possibly help. Aimed as I say at new drivers, in this series experienced drivers will think I’m stating the obvious but often its things that it’s just assumed everyone knows. Be interested to hear any thoughts about what I say, any thoughts you have…if you can stomach sitting through 20 minutes of watching my gormless face jabber on. Have a great day all

lorry-driver.com
linktr.ee/lorrydriverdotcom

As I suspected Luke, your new “how the bloody hell does one do that then” vids. have hit the spot! “Bertie and the Irritating ■■■■■■■■■■■■■■ should be the title of Sir Bertie’s next screen extravaganza…!

Seriously… Though I only pick up HGV shifts from time to time (I have a small business so another income), I still enjoy it - and would do it full time should the need arise. It does have some ■■■■ work at times, but what doesn’t? Couldn’t cope with an office and the banal “Saturday night TV chat” and the often basic lack of common sense found there…

As you said, the key is “find your job or niche”
Over Xmas I ran for a well known parcel delivery on nights for a few shifts. Felt a bit down with it at first as everyone was so miserable… But, having had a couple of conversations with other more positive drivers at various hubs and M way services, my faith was (partially at least) restored, and I enjoyed the work. Even the ■■■■■■■ blind side reverse in the dark and snow was ok, thanks to another driver helping out. I returned the favour for him and nowt was damaged…! That is how it should be done.

The job is what you make it. Whinge and moan and you’ll end up hating it and yourself for being too weak to do anything about it.

That’s my ha’penny’s worth any road…[emoji41]

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Just read some of the previous comments.

It seems some of those miserable drivers I came across are on TN too.

Wish they’d ■■■■ off and take a look at how sad and value-less they really are. Sadly, not enough upstairs to do so…

Keep up the good work!

no, unless you reply in an adult manner and not like a stupid boy, what is that childish thing bertie ?. you are an idiot. you are not right in the head, dont care how many driving jobs you have done or where you have been.

Love your videos Angelica, please make more. :smiley: :smiley: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :wink: :wink:

Truckulent:

Wish they’d [zb] off and take a look at how sad and value-less they really are. Sadly, not enough upstairs to do so…

Keep up the good work!

Yeah, it’s sort of charming how naïve they are I suppose, thinking that after 12 years of YouTube and prolific social media use they can just trot out tired old nonsense I’ve heard a million times and think it has an impact. Thanks for your nice comments!

gingo:
no, unless you reply in an adult manner and not like a stupid boy, what is that childish thing bertie ?. you are an idiot. you are not right in the head, dont care how many driving jobs you have done or where you have been.

switchlogic:

Truckulent:

Wish they’d [zb] off and take a look at how sad and value-less they really are. Sadly, not enough upstairs to do so…

Keep up the good work!

Yeah, it’s sort of charming how naïve they are I suppose, thinking that after 12 years of YouTube and prolific social media use they can just trot out tired old nonsense I’ve heard a million times and think it has an impact. Thanks for your nice comments!

You’re welcome, no need for thanks.

When I started driving I hadn’t a clue… I was very lucky to be able to pick the brains of a lad with 20 years’ experience and that got me out of many a tight spot - especially with skelly trailers that didn’t want to play ball.
Still consider myself a “student driver” - after 12 years.

You need all the help you can get when you set off down the HGV road. At least, it makes for less stress!

switchlogic:

gingo:

Oh :open_mouth: :blush:

So when’s the next vid then Luke ?
(Just interested seeing as I had a kind of input :smiley: )

Any sign of you getting started back at work yet ?
Are you feeling ready for it yet, or what.
What’s the plan if and when?..Local stuff, or itching to get back on Euro work?

Wow!..Just had a brilliant idea to run past you…, …
Now that you have this Trucknet ‘Bromance’’ going with Carryfast, you could do a trip down to say Italy, or Greece for a few weeks, and take Carryfast as your second man ! :bulb:
Think what you could both gain from the experience. :bulb:

He would finally fulfill his dream of experiencing European haulage, (albeit as a passenger) so that would be him sorted.
You wouldn’t need a sat nav as he could guide you using his experience of European touring in his Austin Princess in the past.

And think of the wisdom and knowledge he could impart constantly that you could soak up, as you travelled along…The list would be endless., geography, history of the areas you pass through, and politics past and present of each country, and anything else that he knows about…it would be like travelling whilst taking a simultaneous tutorial open university course … you would come back an educational genius. :sunglasses:

Who knows where it could lead to, you would make a great team you and him. :laughing:
What do you think? :smiley: