#TopTips video. Should I Bother?

A bit dragged out and long winded best just sticking to the facts, you get a bit lost as to weather your selling yourself or the information you’re suppose to give,
it’s not a Hollywood film your making it’s a information and informative clip
By the way is ned kelly and trucker jay still going

trevHCS:
I spend very little time on Youtube, actually mosty when someone one on here, but must admit I did watch some of yours early on to learn basics.

Not seen this one, but didn’t you have a “friend” called Birty or similar in them? Compared to the others I’ve seen, I’d say they were more informative especially vs people lile Trucker Jay (eak). Really not interested in watching someone drive from A to B and create drama on the way.

Why not, its the bssic things which arebthe hardest to learn since thrres no mentoring and such these days. Just chucked in the deep end.

Thank you! And yes, Bertie* is still a loud presence in my videos! (Including this one).

As for last line- exactly, harder to learn and for some embarrassing to ask about as it’s so simple. But the simple things can have the biggest impact. So as I say I’ve a whole series I’ll be making over the next few weeks covering stuff from the Basics to complicated. As I say in this video what prompted me was thinking about my own past, how being born into the industry I knew a lot even long before I became a driver. When I did finally get a truck driving job I was on phone to Dad constantly to ask for advice, so I would like to be that person for others via email and comments as I’ve always encouraged new drivers to enter the industry. It’s often so negative I fear some get put off and never carry it on.

And for people who want to criticise but won’t watch, as I say in the video there’s nothing remarkable or particularly clever about me and I certainly don’t think that of myself, in fact I’m my own worst critic.My experience has been very wide and very varied but that doesn’t make my experience any more or less valid. 25 years a driver is 25 years a driver, whether you’ve worked for one company throughout or like me have a very many. I’ve not done anything remarkable, I’m not super intelligent & I really don’t think I’m better than anyone else. Any driver could do what I have, had many jobs as I have, it’s really common in this industry. The key is working out what you like and doing it, that’s all, that’s all that matters

*I know some think Bertie is childish nonsense but I don’t give f…, people enjoy him and that’s all That matters

If you (Switch) enjoy making these videos, and others learn or derive pleasure from them then why the hell shouldn’t you continue? You’re not harming anybody or inciting mass revolt so as far as I’m concerned (not that it matters) I say more power to your elbow. Carry on (as some YouTube sage once said).

When I got my boat, I learned a lot from YouTube videos and sometimes the most simple and/ or subsequently obvious things were not obvious when I had never steered a boat before.

I say it’s a good idea.

cyrus123:
When I was starting this job I learned so much from Youtube and got so much information from other drivers posting in it.I cant be the only one.

You can never have too much easily available information and although I don’t like modern technology things like Youtube and Google Maps are very useful tools to have at hand.Which would have been just as useful over 30 years ago.

Thank you kindly. I love passing knowledge on to others, also gaining knowledge from people. No one knows everything, so as far as I’m concerned we all learn off each other and everyone benefits

yourhavingalarf:
Yes…

You should bother. Ytube and other soshul meeja thingy’s are a good place to find out all sorts of things

+1

Anything to help new drivers is good as far as I’m concerned.
In my day (during the war :smiley: ) you asked older drivers and they helped you, nowadays at least 30% either ain’t got a clue themselves and/or can’t be arsed to help anybody.

I see you’ve even got Carryfast’s endorsement, are you two becoming friends? :open_mouth:
Hey he could join you on your new info vids, you could become the new Ant and Dec…or is it Hinge and Brackett. :smiley:

What about an advice series for young bus drivers? :smiley:

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Well Carryfast is always welcome to visit West Wales any time…Ill just make sure I’m abroad :wink:

But no there’s an open invitation, Bertie really wants to meet him, he thinks they’ll get on

This is simply advertising. You want to make some $$$ from your online persona and fair play.

But all the information can be found online and you are simply trying to make a quick buck from repeating the already said.

worldsbestdriver:
This is simply advertising. You want to make some $$$ from your online persona and fair play.

But all the information can be found online and you are simply trying to make a quick buck from repeating the already said.

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: you’re honoured you get a rare four :smiley:

:wink: Thanks for watching

Go for it Luke , we never stop learning . Title your videos so they’ll get selected by Google for some newbie looking for advice , keep it fairly sensible and I’m sure there are quite a few that’ll benefit . Good for you for passing knowledge on .

Thank you very much Sir.

Goodness there’s some happy people on here. I’m almost glad I still come on here daily…not

I watched video after video when I started and some were better than others (Trucker Jay…enough said!) and I learnt a lot from them.
One of the first places I went to I didn’t know how to tighten a curtain up.
I don’t think anyone ever showed me how to use a tacho card. I thank Youtube for both of those bits of useful information.
I still remember the first time I went off on my own in a brand new truck. I had to ask the shunter how to put it in gear (new Renault)

Go for it and have fun. At least you’re teaching stuff that’s useful and not how to hit bridges or cut corners!

Please give Bertie a cuddle from me. I have Simon the security spider who’s been all around Europe (and Dublin when we got lost once)

good_friend:
I still remember the first time I went off on my own in a brand new truck. I had to ask the shunter how to put it in gear (new Renault)

When I went in a automatic mercedes the first time I had to ask someone how to put it in gear.
The previous driver folded the armrest away which had the gear controls on it. :grimacing:

Edit:

I watched the video.
I cant give much advice.
Didnt really touch on the realities of driving a truck. e.g. much office guys come from 8 hours a day in a office to driving a truck. Having to do 12 hours a day reguarly. Or coming back from a shift after 11-12 hours and being told you have another 2-3 hour run.

I think this is the singlest biggest shock for new drivers. With many driving jobs you never know when you will finish.

That’s my experience anyway. Lot of warehouse to wheels guys often jack it in when they realise they cant hack the hours.

good_friend:
Please give Bertie a cuddle from me. I have Simon the security spider who’s been all around Europe (and Dublin when we got lost once)

I won’t repeat what he said when I tried :smiley:

adam277:
Didnt really touch on the realities of driving a truck. e.g. much office guys come from 8 hours a day in a office to driving a truck. Having to do 12 hours a day reguarly. Or coming back from a shift after 11-12 hours and being told you have another 2-3 hour run.

I think this is the singlest biggest shock for new drivers. With many driving jobs you never know when you will finish.

That’s my experience anyway. Lot of warehouse to wheels guys often jack it in when they realise they cant hack the hours.

Fair points. I do mention it and it’s something I’ll return to.

The first time I ever coupled up to a trailer went like this .
Reversed the F88 Volvo up to the bulk tipper , checked it was at the correct height …no air suspension then . Went to the rear and pulled the ratchet brake fully on …no auto brake then .
Returned to the unit , selected reverse and slowly pushed the tipper loaded with 25 tonnes of coal off the railway sleeper ( the yard was on reclaimed land and all landing legs had to have a sleeper to stop them sinking ) 13ollocks what a great start .
The trailer was now a least a foot lower than the unit and sinking further , the only option was to jack the front of the trailer with a 25 tonne jack whilst my mate wound the legs .
After much huffing and puffing we managed to lift the front of the trailer enough to couple up …Get in!
From the on I knew to put some sleepers at the back of the trailer wheels to stop it moving …even when the brakes were on, maintenance was not what it is nowadays , I once had no brakes on Woodhead but thats another story .
I learnt a lesson that day and I’m still learning today , You Tube would have be invaluable back then and even though I was from a transport background I would
certainly have used it . Like a few on Trucknet I am using it less and less due to the idiots , unfortunately the jobs full off them .
Sod the idiots Luke, keep the videos coming .

Went down Mont Blanc once with no exhaust brake. I would really like never to have to do that again! I wasn’t driving that time and it was still scary

Switch… I love your videos.
Always great to hear others views and gain from their knowledge.

As far as the comments aimed at you, these muppets really need to wake up.
If you dont like the work, the money, the people on social media, the firm, the truck or the industry… then leave. Go do something else. Its simple.

Gobbing off at people who put themselves out to help others and try to represent the industry in a positive light is reprehensible.

I think you (Switch) summed it up when you said “… the keyboard warriors who have slated you online, have been on the same ferry or train and you and said nothing”

…spineless

Stay well n safe everyone