Thanks for that pic of RX06 DHD mate.

Ive been keen to get hold of a decent pic of that one as it always used to look very smart.

Give me a day or two and I will post a little something which I think you will find of interest.

Cheers Mark

I can’t remember if I’ve put this one of the late Eddie Harrison on this thread; I know I put it on the Old Oxford one…

This CM test from February 1987 makes interesting reading.

Do you remember this Foden Muckaway ?

hi all,
tipcon harrogate,years ago :sunglasses: .picture courtesy of jeremy davies swansea.

Hi Rc2,I’ve had problems getting onto TNUK tonight so I’m viewing through my phone; I cant make out the reg of the wagon but I’d guess it’s either a C reg Gardner 270 turbo or a D reg with a Cat engine, the firms’ first. If it’s the D it’ll be D612 PUD, originally driven by the late Arthur Johnson. I rode in that D reg with Dad when it was yard spare around 1996 when it was sold to someone in the Liverpool area. Dad reckoned it was a good motor right until it was sold.
I think it was replaced by a P reg 3000 series 8wheeler.

Hi Pete 359, that truck was re-registered to a G reg before going on the road and its Cat 350 replaced with an experimental ■■■■■■■ 500. Dad drove it for a short while before having the first next gen Alpha…which he’d swap back again for the old girl. Many of us “old style” Smiths drivers would gladly go back to the old 4000 series, fantastic motors…

Nathan,

Its the C reg with the Gardner.

Roadcommander2, I remember that Foden well as Dad had “the other 270 powered Foden” a few years later…
The C reg in the test was driven new by the late Eddie James who was based at Ardley Quarry. (His younger brother Pete still drives the immaculate Volvo FE 4wheeler) Ardley at the time had a Smiths Concrete plant that supplied Raf Upper Heyford and Eddie would often be on either aggregate from Hardwick to Premix or stone out of Ardley. The older (B reg version) was identical except it had an alloy body, and this was based at Smiths Concrete Banbury, driven new by Phil Knight.
Godfreys’ choice to “replace with asbestos linings” :open_mouth: that’ll get the old time Smiths drivers talking…
Those two were the only ones fitted with with the Eaton Twin Splitters, I don’t know why, (possibly cost) but Dad thought they were great.
“Basic trim” Dad always liked (he had had an early constructor before his new D reg Foden :laughing: ) and I loved the “bouncy seat” (especially at breaktime :laughing: ) much better than the ■■■■ ones fitted in the Alphas/Daf CFs now.
The sunstrip in question I have one that I’ve just got out of the cupboard and I think I’ll put up in mine today (did before just to see what reaction I’d get)…
It was a shame Gardners’ turbocharged engines came a bit late as those 270s could do just aswell as the Cat 300s, as Dad showed me once or twice :laughing:

Re: The now closed Broadway Quarry; cotswoldsaonb.org.uk/userfil … quarry.pdf

Has it closed because its worked out Nathan,or have they got a better source/supply somewhere else ?
Cheers Dave.

Dave the Renegade:
Has it closed because its worked out Nathan,or have they got a better source/supply somewhere else ?
Cheers Dave.

It’s exhausted, Dave. They’ve acquired an old walling stone pit near Chipping Norton which will supply cotwold colured stone to replace it, but they need a new access road as the existing one is subject to restricted numbers of lorries per day.

Its a hard job to get planning for a quarry in any area Nathan.I would think its near impossible in the Cotswolds with all the big wigs that live there.
Cheers Dave.

Dave the Renegade:
Its a hard job to get planning for a quarry in any area Nathan.I would think its near impossible in the Cotswolds with all the big wigs that live there.
Cheers Dave.

A while back, the crushing gang from Burford Road pit went there to do some work, and someone from a neighbouring building site asked what was going on. Said site are building two large houses and they didnt know about the quarry as its just about in Oxon and the sites’ planning was done through Warks cc.

Bloody typical: Freezing cold morning and Ive got a puncture. Currently keeping boredom at bay by reading the lorry manual. Have discovered my wagon should be doing about 6.5-7.5mpg and I get 9.9. Shame our bonus scheme isnt fuel related as Id earn a lot more than Raf Brize to Lechlade earns (sweet fa for 6 loads, so I normally do 5 as 6 means getting your foot down- looks like Ill only be doing 4 today)

Muckaway:
Bloody typical: Freezing cold morning and Ive got a puncture. Currently keeping boredom at bay by reading the lorry manual. Have discovered my wagon should be doing about 6.5-7.5mpg and I get 9.9. Shame our bonus scheme isnt fuel related as Id earn a lot more than Raf Brize to Lechlade earns (sweet fa for 6 loads, so I normally do 5 as 6 means getting your foot down- looks like Ill only be doing 4 today)

Crack on Nathen, you got to keep the old firm going. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

altitude:

Muckaway:

Crack on Nathen, you got to keep the old going. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Was a lot colder this time last year Nathan.The weather is warm compared to that :laughing: .