There’s a company near me that’s always looking for drivers.
Money is absolute pants plus you’re flat out most of the time.

I suppose it depends what you’re doing.

I imagine that trunk would be OK - just pick up pallets from RDCs and tip at local depots. Normally done in artics, so I reckon that the money would be OK.

Locals on the other hand are something else - often involving hard to find places, handball and no shortage of both drops and miles - and as gsm says the pay is sh… you know what.

If you have Class 1, then the trunk option seems fine. If Class 2, then I would say AVOID - unless it’s the only way you’ll be able to pick up that all important experience.

rik25:
think al stick with my hiab job. dont like handballing lol

Does that mean that HIAB is much better :question: :bulb:

I do pallet work ad to be honest its not that bad, I do the centre of York which can be a pain sometimes but after a few weeks then its second nature, the only thing I am not keen on is house deliverys, mainly because the expect you to handball it in to the house, I deliverd a fridge the other day and it was a nightmare.

The money im on isnt to bad, its not as good as the lads who do general haulage and spend all week away but the plus point is I am home every night and I have a rough Idea where I am going!!

Hope this helps

Potter:
I do pallet work ad to be honest its not that bad, I do the centre of York which can be a pain sometimes but after a few weeks then its second nature, the only thing I am not keen on is house deliverys, mainly because the expect you to handball it in to the house, I deliverd a fridge the other day and it was a nightmare.

The money im on isnt to bad, its not as good as the lads who do general haulage and spend all week away but the plus point is I am home every night and I have a rough Idea where I am going!!

Hope this helps

Of course, it very much depends where you are.

Town/city centres aren’t too bad in one regard - there isn’t that much driving with “tight” drops so you can tip your load very quickly. While working in Aberdeen, I managed over 20 drops - morning and afternoon runs with plenty of time and no hassle - but when out in the sticks, it was an absolute nightmare! Loads of miles - many of these on narrow, twisty back roads - and very few places with FLTs. Even with fewer drops, it was a real struggle to get back home in time.

P.S - if you worked for the likes of Argos or John Lewis, you would have had the benefit of a second man to help you with the likes of fridges. Even with heavy handball, I also found myself having to struggle on my own.

I work for a company that lets you generally get on with it, I get in, get loaded and go, the only downside is that if theres a problem (which is most days) you have to stay where you are until its resolved by them,they ring the main depot and they decide what you do.

A lot of the jobs I do to houses are internet orders and when you arrive the customer assumes that YOU will bring it in. We dont have to, we drop the pallet and thats it, if the customer is nice to me and polite then I will do my upmost to help them but when they get funny with me and order me then thats when I will explain the no handballing rule!!

As far as Im aware the driver isnt insured to carry the goods into the house, but this may be a myth!!

As far as Im aware the driver isnt insured to carry the goods into the house, but this may be a myth!!

Get the boss to show you on the insurance cover that you are - if not, don’t do it :exclamation: