What can we expect in the new year
More Work
Less Work
Same as 22
and Why ■■

slightly different from general haulage and not really own account work either, but next year we look rammed - we already bringing more equipment from our head office in Belgium, its looking busy to say the least, a lot of projects some really big (HS2 as a start ) so think we going have a busy year

No idea, heard on the grapevine that the own account company I work for are in talks to be bought out… :frowning:

So its either no job or moving depots!!!

It’s all there in the Plan for Rail.
Effectively it’s the deliberate degeneration and rundown of the Road Transport Industry of which 2023 will be a part like the years following it.
Bearing in mind that HS2 is all about freeing up rail capacity for freight movements.

It will be no different to any other year , this mantra being put out of doom & gloom , no work , lucky to have a job suits employers as your not going to have many asking for a pay rise , & if they do it will be a % or two , theyl just be happy thinking they’ve got work
It’s already happening now with a large % of agency drivers panicking & jumping ship to employed as the doom& gloom message has worked & they believe if they don’t theyl have no work , played into companies you’ll be lucky to have a job strategy, paying less wages , it’s not helped with a lot of employed drivers going along with it telling those agency workers who listen the same message as the companies are putting out ,
They’ll be jobs / work as they’re always has been , 2023 will be no different to any other year

Why would anyone want to use rail ?
they are on strike every other day and very little competition
if an haulier is unreliable ring another, you cant ring another train
why did Royal Mail switch from rail to road ?

SHYTOT:
Why would anyone want to use rail ?
they are on strike every other day and very little competition
if an haulier is unreliable ring another, you cant ring another train
why did Royal Mail swich from road to rail ?

It’s a lot more complicated than that. It’s not just about how many trains they can run, the goods need to be got to, and put on and off the train in the first place… there is currently no suitable railhead infrastructure that can cope with the large number of trucks that will need to bring the goods to the train, tranship it onto the train, and the reverse at the other end.

They type of loads that would be better on the rail, like regular loads of bulk commodities, are already being transported by rail. It would be good to see an increase of the existing, long distance transport, such as containers from Felixstowe to the Midlands. But rail transport is never going to replace, or even seriously dent, road transport. Dr Beeching saw to that.

Could all the boxes from large container ports be sent by rail to local inland rail depots for delivery locally
one train could pull 50 boxes from Felixstowe to Glasgow

My experience of sending stuff by rail is hours sat waiting to be tipped ( eventually load to be put in container to be sent by rail ) , can’t tip you as no empty containers ( again hour upon hour waiting ) , can’t drop & swap your taut , as all the tauts are still loaded as they’ve no containers to put the loads on
I remember after 4 hrs one day being told just take it & deliver it , Scotland
Trains may work from ports , but my experience of picking loads up from a supplier then going & getting put on a container to go by rail turns into a bloody nightmare , easier to just deliver the bloody thing .

I think 2023 will bring a huge recession, the likes of which we have not seen since the early 1980s, and all that goes with it. I think we have more inflation to come, more interest rate rises to come, and higher energy costs to come. I see no end to war in Ukraine which is a major factor in all of this, plus of course we will be paying for the Covid nonsense for the next decade.

And supporting a gazillion bone idle bar stewards

The railway used to do parcel trains and other mixed freight. The infrastructure for that was dismantled long ago. I sometimes see long trains of round timber and Tesco boxes. The railway is much more passenger oriented nowadays.

Because passengers load and unload themselves and pay more

dozy:
It’s already happening now with a large % of agency drivers panicking & jumping ship to employed as the doom& gloom message has worked & they believe if they don’t theyl have no work , played into companies you’ll be lucky to have a job strategy, paying less wages

Agency work is quietening down though. Seeing it myself, not just where I am but talking to other agency drivers I know in various spots. However it’s only going back to where it was before 2020, back to normal. Was having the same conversation with them at my agency and the woman who I deal with has been there donkey years and that’s what she said, that looking back at past years bookings its going back to normal it’s just that we’ve had a damned good few years so have forgotten what normal is like. The last few of years have been abnormally busy, in 2019 it was companies stockpiling goods because nobody knew what was going to happen with Brexit by Dec 2019 because at the time no extension to the transition period had been agreed. 2020 during lockdown it was with agency driving wagons whilst company drivers were on furlough. Then back half of 2020 and through 2021 it was because of the massive increase in demand in online shopping meaning parcel and pallet networks being rammed with work and people spending their money they weren’t able to spend elsewhere on doing up their home so anyone remotely related to the building trade and supply was rammed out with work.

So as far as agency goes it’ll be back again to being quiet from January to end of Feb/into March depending when Easter is like it used to be. I’m fine with that, I’ve kept some holidays back, stockpiled some money from when it was busy so I’ll be more than happy to sit at home when the winter storms are rolling in, it’s snowing and blowing 60+ and drivers are getting stuck out in it.

Harry Monk:
I think 2023 will bring a huge recession, the likes of which we have not seen since the early 1980s, and all that goes with it. I think we have more inflation to come, more interest rate rises to come, and higher energy costs to come. I see no end to war in Ukraine which is a major factor in all of this, plus of course we will be paying for the Covid nonsense for the next decade.

Not going to happen. Many people aren’t going to be affected by mortgage interest rate rises for some time, for example we remortgaged for a 5 year fix at 1.49% in 2021, our next isn’t going to be due until 2026 so all the recent rises to 5/6% have had no effect and that’s the case for millions, it only ■■■■■ if you were remortgaging after March this year when they started to go up. Inflation is already falling, the BoE in the latest rate review have voted majority to not rise and mortgage companies have already begun to lower interest rates especially on 5 year fixes so they don’t see them going up. Government energy price guarantee will see only a fraction of a percentage rise in January, maybe 1-2% even though the price cap is going to go up more.

Employment wise there’s big issues with the over 50s who have just decided to take themselves out of the workplace, either choosing to retire early or half retire doing a couple of days a week. With EU citizens returning home, freedom of movement meaning they can’t come here unless they’re applying for a job that qualifies for a Tier 2 visa with a company on the sponsor list and currently still with as many job vacancies as there are people looking for work the 10% unemployment we had both in the early 80s and 2008 recession isn’t happening.

This recession will literally be one on paper, the average person in the street when actually taking an unbiased look at their own personal circumstances instead of just thinking that things are bad because of the fear ■■■■ they’re peddled in the news, will find that they’re not as affected as they thought they were.

The people who will be affected the most will be those who’ve lived the lifestyle they have and couldn’t afford using other peoples money so were spending every penny they’d earned by payday on living costs, stuff they’d signed up to and car finance, loans and credit cards, not worried because they thought the party of the last 12 years could go on forever. They’ll be shafted because they have zero room in their budget but that’s a problem of their own making.

Conor:
the BoE in the latest rate review have voted majority to not rise

The last BoE interest rate review was on 14th December 2022 and the MPC voted 6-3 to raise interest rates by 0.5%.

alamcculloch:
The railway used to do parcel trains and other mixed freight. The infrastructure for that was dismantled long ago. I sometimes see long trains of round timber and Tesco boxes. The railway is much more passenger oriented nowadays.

Ironically travelling almost as many miles by rail as by road in my job I’d say you’re way behind the scale and pace of this anti road transport scam.
Long haul road transport has clearly been decimated between the South and much North of Manchester and Leeds.While most of what there is seems to be generated within and confined to those respective areas.
While passenger rail services are now routinely delayed and held at signals to prioritise rail freight movements during the day and evening.Including piggyback trailer services.With driver/guard announcements often confirming it.
That’s even before HS2 is completed and the scam for rail has really kicked in.The truth is every single gain in traffic for rail, from road, is a whole day’s work lost for a truck driver.
While the industry and it’s workforce sleepwalk to the slaughter.

railtechnologymagazine.com/C … gh-speed-2

Harry Monk:

Conor:
the BoE in the latest rate review have voted majority to not rise

The last BoE interest rate review was on 14th December 2022 and the MPC voted 6-3 to raise interest rates by 0.5%.

Sorry you’re right. It was an article recently I’d read where they’d said there wasn’t much mood for another rate increase.

The next BoE interest rate review will be held on Thursday 2nd February 2023 and my prediction is that interest rates will again be raised by 0.5%.

Harry Monk:
The next BoE interest rate review will be held on Thursday 2nd February 2023 and my prediction is that interest rates will again be raised by 0.5%.

Like tax increases, if increases in incomes aren’t matching increases in lending rates the only result can be default on the basis of can’t pay won’t pay.
Also bearing in mind that negative interest rates just results in the erosion of capital funds to lend.
Printing more worthless paper cash won’t fix that.
Abandoning the climate scam and keeping Brit oil and gas for Britain’s use, with resulting massive reductions in energy costs, might just turn the economy around.