That sounds a bit like my two days cracking the reversing test! Well done, I bet you didn’t think you’d improve did you? I know I didn’t. But it appears to be true, that with practice and the right attitude, it really does make almost perfect. Sleep well and have a good day tomorrow.

This one got me feeling more positive as I know it’s tight getting a bus around to here at times. I was pleased I got round and reversed to here. Especially as it was outside my old company. Had to drive right up to the bike shed to get it in.
][/url]

PaddyTheLorryDriver:
Jeez my reversing was pants. One was ok but some places due to parked cars I had no chance as a newbie so my helper done it instead but it was tight. Took me about 7/8 shunts to get on a bay.

Hahahaha!!! [emoji16]Don’t worry about that mate. I passed in 2009 and still use a good few shunts from time to time… Just ignore any ■■■■ that criticises you and take your time.

Nice work pal!! Hope it all goes spot on for you.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Well I have survived the first week…just. We had to do a trailer swap at Drapers yesterday and because matey wanted a normal time finish I agreed to let him reverse onto the bay. I got on the one next to it on Thursday no problem but I was a few inches of centre. Anyhow he jumps in going at his experienced fast pace and tore the curtain on the trailer I dropped yesterday lol.

Exciting stuff! Best of luck, And let us know how you feel at the end of it.

PaddyTheLorryDriver:
Well I have survived the first week…just. We had to do a trailer swap at Drapers yesterday and because matey wanted a normal time finish I agreed to let him reverse onto the bay. I got on the one next to it on Thursday no problem but I was a few inches of centre. Anyhow he jumps in going at his experienced fast pace and tore the curtain on the trailer I dropped yesterday lol.

Far too often we don`t learn from the mistakes of others…
Sounds like you have this time.

PaddyTheLorryDriver:
Oh and he said can you raise it up a bit, I obliged and then began recoupling on the other. Reversed back, pulled forward…oh wtf have I done?? I only reversed under the pin. Thankfully I got the unit lowered enough to clear it and redo with a raised unit.

I make sure I always lift the legs off the ground before connecting, or if a DD at least have the unit suspension raised to the max.
Thankfully a colleague smashed the back of the unit, so I have learned not to.

Keep the updates coming - it’s great to follow your learning experiences!

You seem to be doing fine on your own Paddy. I also find that “right hand down…left lock on… straighten up” type instructions are utterly useless and do not end in success. I’m building the confidence to ignore or reject well meant but unhelpful help.
I had to reverse off a road into a narrow driveway (in a rigid) the other day and I did it but went in straight, in line with the gate posts. He wanted the lorry in at more of an angle, in line with the garage, where he wanted his stuff. He said “you want to put your wheels here (pointed to a gravelly bit to the side of the paved drive)…now I’m going to go inside so I don’t put you off”. So I did it again and he came back out.
Bar a proper banksman (one who only signs and doesn’t talk), that’s been the best reversing help I’ve ever had :smiley: