Looks like cctv

How will it know what colour the traffic light is from where its positioned.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

18_shunts_later:
Looks like cctv

How will it know what colour the traffic light is from where its positioned.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

It could be linked electronically to the lights so knows what the lights are showing every fraction of a second

Wouldn’t worry, they seem to popup on junctions with high jumbers of accidents around here, so likely useful in providing evidence in those cases.

Plus if you got a pole and power, why not utilise it rather than having to errect a second pole. Makes it cheaper to install CCTV.

You’ll know the light cameras - look like a slightly smaller speed camera often on a slightly higher pole. Gives a flash as you pass it, although usually they have a delay after going red.

Oh and not everyone is out to get you as a HGV driver…just 96%. :wink:

More like a CCTV camera than not. ATS cameras almost, if not always are set to show the colour of the lights - it makes it obvious to you / the court, that you could have seen the lights as you sail post them.
If you are correct that the light was amber, then not a problem - no offence (in its own right) for driving through an amber going to red - usual Highway Code caveat of course.
May have been bit of a reminder and licence saver for the future. About the only thing we know about green lights is they will be changing to amber/red soon :slight_smile:

Are the traffic light cameras like a gatso? What’s ats camera?

All the traffic light ones I’ve seen are like a slightly smaller gatzo usually higher and pointed down at a steeper angle. Generally yellow although not exclusively. Catch you from behind.

Almost certainly placed before the lights and will include information on the photo about how long the lights were on red etc.

You’ll go through plenty of amber lights in your time driving these things as its often safer (within reason) than braking and having someone run into you from last min braking.

All driving instructors now facepalming. :smiley:

trevHCS:
Wouldn’t worry, they seem to popup on junctions with high jumbers of accidents around here

I’m not surprised, my council charges for CCTV (for an insurance company etc after an accident) the fee is £132, put cameras at the blackspots (poorly designed roads/junctions) and it’s a nice little earner dealing with a few of them per day, and no incentive to improve road safety either. Not that I’m cynical or anything.

Rich2012:
What are these cameras on top of the traffic light? Went through on Amber as I didn’t want to slam my brakes on. Are they just cctv watching the junction or should I expect a nip? It was on Wigginton Road, York

There sensors to change lights out of hours headlights trigger them

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

ive always worked on the logic that red means stop…green means go,and amber means put your foot down and belt across…its always worked well enough sofar. :slight_smile:

bernardcini:

Rich2012:
What are these cameras on top of the traffic light? Went through on Amber as I didn’t want to slam my brakes on. Are they just cctv watching the junction or should I expect a nip? It was on Wigginton Road, York

This is a wind-up, isn’t it…?

Rich2012:
Are the traffic light cameras like a gatso? What’s ats camera?

ATS = Automatic Traffic Signal

ROG:
It could be linked electronically to the lights so knows what the lights are showing every fraction of a second

It could - but they are always placed to show the actual aspect of the signals rather than what the computer thinks they were showing at the time…

Roymondo:

bernardcini:

Rich2012:

No mate flash headlights at any traffic lights in evening they change quickly

Rich2012:

bernardcini:

Roymondo:

bernardcini:

Sorry to burst your bubble chap - it’s an urban myth…

Rich2012:

bernardcini:

Roymondo:

bernardcini:

Roymondo:

I am london black cabbie done that many of times and worked mate will only early hours

Roymondo:

bernardcini:
I am london black cabbie done that many of times and worked mate will only early hours

Does the term post hoc ergo propter hoc mean anything to a cabbie?

Roymondo:

Roymondo:

bernardcini:

Does the term post hoc ergo propter hoc mean anything to a cabbie?

Knowledge