Top tips for someone new to agency work

Hello all , as the heading says anyone out there got any top tips for me on working for agencies. :smiley:

This may sound negative, but it isnā€™t intended to be!

From my experience with agencies I found I couldnā€™t go far wrong if I didnā€™t believe a word they said. Take everything with a pinch of salt. I always insisted that if I was called up for a job that they either text or emailed the details to me, including address, and the rate and the start time. That way you have a record of the work booked for incase you are turned away or the info you have been given is wrong. This is especially important if you are offered a job on terms different to those that you would normally do.

Sign up with several agencies in your area. Donā€™t tell the others you are using more than one or you go to the bottom of the pile

Be aware that sometimes you will be getting the runs that no one else wants so it could be tricky or challenging

Be prepared to get the ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  truck in the fleet

Donā€™t let yourself be bullied into the umbrella trap. I insisted on PAYE or not interested. This is obviously personal preference

Make sure you perfect your limp, and keep a good supply of lidl carrier bags!

Donā€™t be bullied into taking runs you donā€™t want, but at the same time be too picky and there are 10 more guys waiting to take that work from you

thanks nick, thats sound advice, I think I am in a good position at the moment work wise , shift work with pleanty of time off , just going to try and get some experiance for the next few years.

When you get to site, ask what their operating procedures are. No one is going to bollock you for asking but they will hang you if you break something because you didnā€™t ask. Every site is different so donā€™t expect things to stay the same. One place may let you walk on the bed whilst the load you, others may not. Best to ask first.

i can rank my experience with agencies as positive. At least all of them pay on time and the agreed amount (i am ltd), donā€™t promise the moon and the sky. I have also driven some old units and some relatively new. one rigid which is a relatively regular gig for me had only 1000 miles on the clock.

Be professional not only as a driver but also as a person with a right attitude.

when you are being booked make sure you know you know what the shift is, so you can say ā€œnoā€ if you donā€™t like / want to do it.

get a high vis, good gloves, comfortable safety boots, sanitizer and/or wipes, truckerā€™s atlas and/or a satnav. i also have my spare tacho rolls, though normally they should be provided. It just makes me feel comfortable

ask questions at the client if unsure, do your checks, check the load is secured, donā€™t forget to check the fuel and confirm the fuel policy

ask the client if they want you to take a specific route, ask the drivers if they have any suggestion on the route. makes your live waaaaay easier

it also helps to make your expectations realistic: normally agency work is temporary, though there are regular gigs, but i think it is an exception.

and obviously donā€™t rush your driving, the aim is to deliver the goods and the lorry in the same condition you have taken them, there is no bonus for delivering it 5 mins earlier. if in doubt - stop and get out of the cab to have a look

Priest:
Be professional not only as a driver but also as a person with a right attitude

Well thatā€™s me screwed then! :open_mouth:

Priest:
though there are regular gigs, but i think it is an exception

Iā€™ve been at my gig for 4 monthsā€¦

Overall great advice mate, I agree! :smiley:

Evil8Beezle:

Priest:
Be professional not only as a driver but also as a person with a right attitude

Well thatā€™s me screwed then! :open_mouth:

Priest:
though there are regular gigs, but i think it is an exception

Iā€™ve been at my gig for 4 monthsā€¦

Overall great advice mate, I agree! :smiley:

Cheers

I am sure you are fine mate :slight_smile:

I have a regular gig with the same client via an agency, so I know their procedures and they know me. Iā€™ve been working for them for just over a year now, and I have earned enough respect that they now try to give me one of the new '65 plate trucks on the fleet if available. It therefore isnā€™t always the case that agency drivers are treated worse than staff drivers. Earn a good reputation and youā€™re likely to gain better treatment.

I still get sent all over the place rather than doing the same runs, so I have got used to going to unfamiliar locations a lot of the time. It adds to the stress a little, but it is also sometimes a welcome challenge which prevents the job getting dull. There are days when I certainly know Iā€™m aliveā€¦ :slight_smile:

Iā€™m not limp yet, and I am awaiting delivery of a new bluetooth in-ear earbud which should be all but invisible. Carrier bags are now way too expensive, so I have to make do with a small backpack instead. In fact, my disguise is sufficiently good that one of the H&S audit guys mistook me for one of their staff the other day having passed his safety inspection with full marks (height correctly set, walk round checks properly documented, seatbelt on, hi-viz and boots on etc etc).

Keeping your nose as clean as you can during that magical first two years is critical. All it takes is one bad foul-up and your tenuous grip on rare rookie work could slip away from you. I was lucky to get a second chance, but I can imagine how different it might have been given the difficulties finding companies willing to take you on without experience.

Just make sure you have your limp ready with a shiny hi vis and lidl carrier bag in hand!