Top the engine oil up . . . or not

During the pre flight checks,on the display it comes up,“top up engine oil”
Varies from 0.6 to 0.7 of a gallon and once showed an amber low of 0.9.
The lorry was in for inspection last week and i informed the service manager and was told “don"t worry until you get a red warning” . .
Really

Was it’s Merc by chance?

I got told by a mechanic once that the best way with a merc was to wait until it said it needed 6ltrs, then top it up with 4ltrs. His theory was that it minimised the risk of overfilling.

makes you wonder why they did away with the dip stick?

F-reds:
Was it’s Merc by chance?

Funny you should say that,6 month old Arocs :blush:

I went for my last job driving an artic; '83 Merc V8, they keep 'em a long time round here. :slight_smile: The owner said, don’t top the oil up so it’s more than half an inch down the stick, because it’ll be, and stay at that level after a day or two.

I was aways told with my old Merc, that whatever the electronic dipstick said it needed, then fill it by half that amount.

Enjoy!

F-reds:
I was aways told with my old Merc, that whatever the electronic dipstick said it needed, then fill it by half that amount.

Enjoy!

This is what I’ve been told aswell ^^

Most companies will have their own policies regarding oil topping up. Best to check before doing anything.

Take it round to the vmu, not your problem then :grimacing:

always check the oil…if its low…i top it up…once had a driver who filled up the water reservoir with oil cos he didnt know where the oil filler was. :smiley: :smiley:

the nodding donkey:
makes you wonder why they did away with the dip stick?

They didn’t … They let em behind the steering wheel

The oil level subject has been covered before, as it was pointed out that engines do self level the oil. Throwing out/burning off the excess, so regularly refilling an engine back to the top can waste oil

peirre:
The oil level subject has been covered before, as it was pointed out that engines do self level the oil. Throwing out/burning off the excess, so regularly refilling an engine back to the top can waste oil

Exactly.

As most artic units take about 40 litres of oil a gallon (4.5 litres) is only about 10% of sump capacity its not really a problem. Merc only gets a bit “edgy” when you get down to 6 or 7 litres.

Back in the days of Gardner engines etc they seemed to pull slightly better if the level was left just on the lower side of MAX on the stick. You could normally tell when they were overfilled by the fitter’s as they were sluggish, even more so than normal! :laughing: My old LDV was much the same, if I filled it to the top mark it would use about half a litre in no time but if I left it halfway between the marks it didn’t use any between changes!

Pete.

shippy95:
Take it round to the vmu, not your problem then :grimacing:

+1

Mechs used to say only fill the Merc Axors up when i showed needing 6 litres.

Funny thing on my MAN, once in a while when i’ve been off when i get back it might well be down to just above the min mark, don’t ask its waste of breath and time saying anything :unamused: , yet 4 litres will take it right to the max level.

Not sure how this compares to what the dipstick might show, we never raise the cabs, and would probably get a disciplinary for doing so… :open_mouth:

windrush:
Back in the days of Gardner engines etc they seemed to pull slightly better if the level was left just on the lower side of MAX on the stick. You could normally tell when they were overfilled by the fitter’s as they were sluggish, even more so than normal! :laughing: My old LDV was much the same, if I filled it to the top mark it would use about half a litre in no time but if I left it halfway between the marks it didn’t use any between changes!

Pete.

Never a fan of Gardner but they did have one stroke of genius.
No rear crankshaft oil seal.
If the engine was overfilled with oil it would pour out of the bell housing but only when the engine was stopped.If the engine was running it was dry as a bone.
The left hand scroll machined into the rear crank nose pushed the excess oil back into the sump.
Just goes to show that there is no need for oil seals or even dip sticks.The old Gardner regulated its own oil level.

Yes, I remember a bloke moaning about the oil running out the back end. Never bloody learnt. :unamused: