Tooting Hooters

Is it a national sport to beep the car horn when passing sleeping drivers.They do it all night and then you wake up tired with disturbed sleep.
Other trucks toot too.Is that a joke?
Its bad enough being in a lay by being buffeted by passing traffic without additional sound effects.
I tried the ear plugs and radio on all night.

Always choose set back lay-by’s where possible, i.e. the ones that form a seperate road of their own for a quarter mile or so, separated from the main carriageway by trees or similar.

I can honestly say I’ve never slept in a lay-by, I’ll drive 20 mins over my time to get a good nights sleep. I just get off at the next town and go looking for a decent spot, and if you’re doing a 9 then you can be parked up late evening and leave early morning before possibly impeding anyone.

it seems to be other trucks that do this, I assume its the night drivers who are annoyed that all the trampers are blocking the laybys’ preventing them taking their breaks

Sorry thought this was a spin off from another thread, nope never tooted me hooter, done me wifes a few times though…

As a night driver I can honestly say I’ve never tooted passing a layby, you just need to be a little more careful when planning breaks through the night :smiley:

It’s too much watching Ice Road Truckers, it’s all they bloody well do.

They call me Tommy Two Tone cos I’m fond of the the air horns but I’d never even think about trying to wake a sleeping driver. You’d have to be some sort of ■■■■ to want to do that.

Inter City 125 Train horns.Now we are talking.A blast from that would make you jump in the night.

Yes, it’s bizarre, I’m parked outside Tesco in Fradley, the mid-shift has just departed and there has been a sudden flurry of passing traffic, one car driver and one artic driver seemed to be unable to resist the temptation of playing a merry trumpet as they passed the half-a-dozen parked trucks.

Didn’t bother me, I’m still 15 minutes away from bedtime, and when I do go to sleep the QE2 could pull up next to me and sound its horns all night and I wouldn’t wake up! :wink:

I’ve decided that air horns are so common, I’m going to fit a Secomak siren to my cab roof. :laughing:

That’d wake a few people up and probably give some oldies a fright :smiling_imp:

Gutted, saw the title of the post ,was hoping they’d opened a new franchise where I live !

was in an earthquake a few years ago, …slept right through it

Javiatrix:
Always choose set back lay-by’s where possible, i.e. the ones that form a seperate road of their own for a quarter mile or so, separated from the main carriageway by trees or similar.

I see you like dogging lay-by’s then lol

FarnboroughBoy11:
I can honestly say I’ve never slept in a lay-by, I’ll drive 20 mins over my time to get a good nights sleep. I just get off at the next town and go looking for a decent spot, and if you’re doing a 9 then you can be parked up late evening and leave early morning before possibly impeding anyone.

Dont try the average truck stop then, you might not get hooters sounding all night, but you’l get other drivers chatting to each other at 10-11pm, in front off your motor waking you up, if that happens to me I’m less than careful to be quiet when leaving 2-3am :smiling_imp:

Haha, I knew it was a little ‘risque’ to post that :smiley:

ha ha whatever floats ya boat mate

8wheels:
I’ve decided that air horns are so common, I’m going to fit a Secomak siren to my cab roof. :laughing:

That’d wake a few people up and probably give some oldies a fright :smiling_imp:

Now that’s an idea and a half!

Driver-Once-More:
was in an earthquake a few years ago, …slept right through it

I was also, the Dudley one & was on the kitchen table in my under crackers with a knife thinking I was being broken in to, highly strung moi? Mind you my garage did collapse as well, it was pretty shagged though.