Tool's to keep in truck

Well me when I was talking to a friend he asked me what have with me I said just a screw driver and a set of bulbs and a pack of fuses small socket set and a hammer
Roll of tape

And what did he say to your reply,was he shocked how much you have got the job under control :unamused:

Lighter sharp knife paper roll of tape ( emergency repair on air line :blush: ) hammer

He was going you asking why I called out tyre fitters to change a wheel when I used tondo them all the time in work my self lol when I was in engineering
I said its easy I just call out daf air of volvo assist an let them fix it
Now days I am paid as a driver so be it

mobile phone…
it’s not my truck …

nick2008:
mobile phone…
it’s not my truck …

Jesus, I hope you’ve got you’ve tin hat on saying that :open_mouth:

“Your not a proper driver” etc. etc.

For the record I don’t carry any tools either, only do 8-10 hour shifts and we have an on site garage. I used to carry a square head screwdriver in my bag in case a rear light on the trailer goes whilst i’m out… i’d nick a bulb from the unit. I never used it in ages though so just stopped bringing it, I probably should do I suppose.

You only need 2 tools in a repair kit.

If it moves and it shouldn’t…Gaffa Tape

If it should move, but doesn’t…WD 40

a big hammer,WD40,gaffer tape,couple of screwdrivers.if none of them work…use your 'phone!

Carry a Gerber-style tool thingy, tape, couple of fuses and a flask :wink:

A spellchecker?

A toolbox with everything in it that I might need to get me, or others, out of the ■■■■, (usually others :unamused: ),a selection of nuts, bolts, washers, cable ties, etc, claw hammer and box of nails.

Oil-can for lubing ratchets, grease gun and spare cartridges for greasing the crane and the front kingpins, blowtorch for sealing damaged straps, cordless drill/driver and selection of drill bits.

Electrical and crimping pliers and crimp-on fittings, spare cable, full set of bulbs and spares, custom-made universal bracket and work lamp, 10lb sledge hammer, large and small crowbars, boiler suit, plenty of rags, and a pot of swarfega.

Over the top?? Not in my book. Got the cordless drill out last week to fasten my marker boards onto a wide load. The boss of the firm laughed when he looked into my tool lockers and said: “but you’re just a lorry driver!” I said:" no, I’m an engineer, I just drive a lorry!"

Given a choice between “old school, fix it if you can”, and " not my lorry mate, just the driver, don’t give a …", it’s old school all the way for me.

Torch

You’re on a night out and start at 5am in winter. VOSA stop you for a roadside check and ask if you did your walk round check before starting.

You reply yes - cos you have a torch and can do this in the dark :wink:

Agency so rarely in the same vehicle - torch, set of bulbs, multi bit screwdriver thing, small can of WD40.

On our tractors we generally have pretty comprehensive kits put together for both tractor and machine, so we can fix most things on the spot.

Bulbs, fuses and tape (for curtain repairs). Most new trucks have some basic tools with them, mine are in the tool roll that has the wheel brace and cab pump handle. We aren’t encouraged to repair things, the trucks are leased and unauthorised repairs will cause Volvo to throw a right strop.

sayersy:
Bulbs, fuses and tape (for curtain repairs). Most new trucks have some basic tools with them, mine are in the tool roll that has the wheel brace and cab pump handle. We aren’t encouraged to repair things, the trucks are leased and unauthorised repairs will cause Volvo to throw a right strop.

^^^ that. Apart from changing the odd bulb, there’s not much that you can fix on leased or hired trucks, lest you invalidate warranty or contract etc. Fixing bits around the trailer, straps etc probably less so, but if your repair is not 100%, and the next driver either hurts himself, or finds himself at a VOSA check up ■■■■ creek, then what?

If I can’t rig it with cable ties or gaffer tape, I’ll leave well alone. Or I haven’t used enough… :slight_smile:

Don’t have a regular wagon, so my bag contains:

WD40 (small tin)
Assorted fuses
Cable ties
A few bulbs
Multi-bit screwdriver
Multi-tool pliers thingy
Adjustable spanner (small)
Old bolt for landing lags handle
Torch

Im the only tool in mine :open_mouth:

depends what your driving who for
and how far you’ll be from help

Having started in the age before mobile communications where common place (Yep been stuck on Shap, with only a night heater and full cab of food and beverages to keep me going) I will pretty much bodge it / fix it myself if possible to get me parked up then call a fitter out later on if needed.

I carry most spare main bulbs and fuses, tools etc… also a roll of carpet and a few Rohipnols come in handy…

Torch, phone and charger that’s it.
Bulbs/minor repairs I will carry out my self (at my discretion) but the firm has to provide the tools and supplies required or a fitter has to come out.