Too tired to drive?

SmashedCrabFace:
I’ve been awake since 11am yesterday. Can anyone confirm if a monkey and a dog are having a conversation about Christmas tree bases on this thread or not? I am very tired.

Not sure but I have seen blue aliens on tv playing with a transformers toy■■? Maybe I am tired tooo zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz :wink:

SmashedCrabFace:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IolGVHkv1vQ

Looking for lost bolt to hold Xmas tree in centre I guess

MassMediauk:
well this video might shock a few people, I have noticed this video while searching on youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqChI0MeWvY

Disgracful. a so-call “professional” driver would have been thinking of the children. but were you there? no accident hapened did it?

Same as the OP really, when you’re eyes start to get heavy and you lose concentration on the road ahead, its time for a power nap.

Also, when I start to see things when I’m on the road is another good indicator. One night I was convinced I saw a car in front of me on the road with no lights on at all… Was all in my head.

There is only one thing to do if you feel tired when driving,and that is pull over as soon as possible and get out in the fresh air and walk around for five minutes.

I am partial to a quick kip on a nice straight bit of motorway…

Dave the Renegade:
There is only one thing to do if you feel tired when driving,and that is pull over as soon as possible and get out in the fresh air and walk around for five minutes.

You all miss the point. The best way to stop being tired, is nod off! :smiley:

I know I’m too tired to drive when I don’t manage to get a couple of hours kip at my first collection point !! :cry:

Although this doesn’t happen too often :laughing:

The powernap is the best thing ever, it works best if you stay behind the wheel, engine running and parked behind another trailer with lights on.

After your 15 minutes, you wake up and see this thing so close to you, by now you are wide awake and you wont nod off again for a couple more hours, you may bend the cab floor trying to brake though :laughing:

mrx:
Disgracful. a so-call “professional” driver would have been thinking of the children. but were you there? no accident hapened did it?

he was not thinking of the children shame on him

SmashedCrabFace:
The other morning while driving back to my base I began to feel a bit sleepy. I thought to myself “I’ll just close my eyes for a second, it won’t matter”, but then the rumble strip woke me up. My satnav then started telling me stories about when he served in Vietnam so I switched him off, pulled over for a bit and repeatedly slapped my own face until I felt ready to drive again.

How do you know when you’re too tired to drive?

I just feel it. I yawn, I struggle to have my eyes open etc. This is the signal to stop, and I just listen to my body, safety first. This is actually in line with company policy “better late in this life, than early in next one” so I never heard anything about it, except from the time, when I set my alarm at about 3am to wake me up 4 hours later (I wasn’t really in rush) and I was woken up but the full coach of kids who stoppped there for lunch :slight_smile: Obviously boss was not too happy about me sleeping for 11 hours :wink:

newmercman:
T…avoid turkey and bananas, they make you sleepy somehow

That’s a bit of a myth, it will only make you drowsy if you eat it by itself on an empty stomach.

Wheel Nut:
The powernap is the best thing ever, it works best if you stay behind the wheel, engine running and parked behind another trailer with lights on.

After your 15 minutes, you wake up and see this thing so close to you, by now you are wide awake and you wont nod off again for a couple more hours, you may bend the cab floor trying to brake though :laughing:

Did similar to this many years ago, but it was the yard gate :blush: pulled up gates locked, laid back in the seat,engine running, woke up and jumped onto the brake pedal, nearly ■■■■ myself, and then casually looked round to make sure no one had seen me :blush: :laughing:

Yeah been in that situation several times, when double manned, usually driving the last shift of 3 or 4hrs during the dark hours, after rolling for nearly 20hrs and awake a lot longer,or not had a long enough kip the night before hand, thing is though after i stop driving i start to feel awake again & can’t sleep,
I can think of several other occasions when on me tod, driving vans and puddle jumpers, once was returning from near cahors in france,started at around 9am to load (on break until 11am) drove the 7.5tonner back to the uk, changed vehicle to a sprinter at maidstone, ( i think the time was around 12 midnight) as i had to get home for my hgv training the next day, got onto the M1 i couldn’t keep it in a straight line lots of artics flashing at me, toddington services i think i decided to stop for an hours kip, i didn’t wake up up till some 6hrs later, surprised the van didn’t get a ticket,lol missed the training that day,

steadymabo:

Wheel Nut:

Did similar to this many years ago, but it was the yard gate :blush: pulled up gates locked, laid back in the seat,engine running, woke up and jumped onto the brake pedal, nearly [zb] myself, and then casually looked round to make sure no one had seen me :blush: :laughing:

Hahaha it’s the looking around bit that gets me, I’ve done it a few times, you try and act casual, but the fact that you’ve got Volvo (or whatever) imprinted on your forehead gives the game away :laughing: :laughing:

Tree update, just phoned Monkey Girl, she tells me all is well :wink:

From the full description on the video, it looks like someone is trying to drop him in the do do!

Has anyone else done this, or had it happen? Been sound asleep on the bunk, had a dream that you are moving, or speeding toards a queue of stationary traffic. Then jumped up panicking, trying to reach the brake pedal. Then realised you are parked up!!! :open_mouth: No…? Just me then! :blush:

bigvern1:
Has anyone else done this, or had it happen? Been sound asleep on the bunk, had a dream that you are moving, or speeding toards a queue of stationary traffic. Then jumped up panicking, trying to reach the brake pedal. Then realised you are parked up!!! :open_mouth: No…? Just me then! :blush:

I have been in a traffic jam when the traffic started to move and I thought I was rolling backwards so I stand on the brakes and still it’s happening, takes a while to come to terms with but quite unnerving. :blush:

brados:

bigvern1:

I have been in a traffic jam when the traffic started to move and I thought I was rolling backwards so I stand on the brakes and still it’s happening, takes a while to come to terms with but quite unnerving. :blush:

Waiting to get off a ferry has the same effect, lorries either side start moving and you always stamp on the brakes :blush: