Too late to...

Hi all, I’ll be 36 this year and want to know a few things…

Am I too old to jump ship to another country, age / experience etc…?

I only have my class 2, but are hoping to get my class 1 ‘soon’… :confused: I want to know, is it possible to get a job / emigrate to Canada (place of preference) on that licence then maybe get my class one over there?

I’ve had my licence 4 years now, but you could say, only have ‘day-cab’ experience (no nights out) all only on plant hire/hi-ab and 'welfare containers (modules). :cry:

OH is a Nurse and we have twin boys, that are now 3 years old, but she’s not keen on going (so far).

If this country’s done for (The word RESSESION mentioned again on tonight’s news) I’m now looking at other options if my job goes belly-up for me.

Any information/pointers would be grateful on what I should/could do. Except off rrrobbbiiee, because yes I’ve seen his posts…

Well your better half would have no problem getting a good ob here, nurses are in short supply, then you could work on getting your class 1. Right now Canada has one of the best economies and we are pulling ahead of the US. in the exchange of currency

Just to give you hope all though i,m not driving i work in a large warehouse in Calgary my wife and i were both just over 50 she got a transfer from Costco Haydock in 2007, and i was offered a job over here. I have 3 kids, 1 working in europe she came 12mths after us 1 had left school in the UK but had to go back (leaving age 18 in Alberta) and the last one was only 14 yrs when we came. So i would tell you to go for it we wouldn,t go back, but thats us

Thanks for the info so far people…

I think OH doesn’t want to do it because she’s VERY close to her family and I’m not to mine.
I don’t really want to be ‘riding’ on her skills just to get over, I want to be able to put myself to use too.

Just wondering then, If I can’t do truck driving, what else is there that I could put my err, skills to??

oilfield work uses class 2 and 3 drivers pays from 22 to over 40 an hour

Brentanna:

What’s that in ££? or is that already converted?

And is that a good rate to have a ‘good living’ standard??

Hi Golfinger.not wishing to rain on your parade but don’t you think that to even contemplate making such a life changing move that you should BOTH be totally 100% commited to the move.would it not be best to first go to the part of Canada that you think you,maybe would like to move to,look around,take info,and then,both of you decide.The age is not the problem.I moved to Holland when i was 27,Ilived in Canada when i was 48,and moved to Lappland when i was 58.The mind set is the important thing,and knowing what to expect.
Good luck.mike

Goldfinger:

Brentanna:

What’s that in ££? or is that already converted?

And is that a good rate to have a ‘good living’ standard??

That will be in CDN $$.

Day rate for class 1 will be around £22 per hour starting rate.
Electricians would earn $35 to $40 per.
Minimum wage in Alberta is $8.80 per hour, but there are very few places that don’t pay more as they can’t get anybody except retards to work for minimum rates. :laughing:
Oilfield work is often seasonal due to access being difficult unless the ground is frozen.(in winter you work, in summer there is not so much work,so they may have no work for you)

Don’t attempt to convert $ to £ as the comparison doesn’t work unless you are a tourist. Living standards are what counts. Most people that move to Canada find that their living standard is better than when they were in the UK. This may not be true in the initial period while you are waiting for PR status.

edmonton.kijiji.ca/
This link is for classified ads in Edmonton Alberta, it lists job vacancies, houses and apartments to buy or rent and loads of other stuff. You can hop to other cities in Canada too to compare wages and living costs in different areas. Alberta is high wages but higher COL. BC is very scenic but harder to find a job. The prairies are cheap to live but you have to like flat lands as they are very very flat. Ontario is mega busy. Quebec is out unless you are a francophile. The maritimes are a bit of a backwater.
Oilfield work is mainly in Alberta, but next door in Saskatchewan they are developing more oilfields. That area will be cheaper to live. I wouldn’t want to live there though, can you imagine writing your address out and having to remember how to spell Saskatchewan? :smiley:

actually there is alot of summer work in the oilpatch when road bans are done, most trucks are yearly OD permitted

I moved over here in 2000 and was 45 years old, so don’t let that diiscourage you :smiley:

Pat, could you sort your link at the bottom of your page, it don’t work for me :cry:

Am just trying to ‘build a picture’ overall from everyone on what’s really like over there. Positive’s and negatives.

But still live in hope that the pro’s still out-weigh the cons and the OH will soon see the BIGGER picture…

Goldfinger:
Pat, could you sort your link at the bottom of your page, it don’t work for me :cry:

Am just trying to ‘build a picture’ overall from everyone on what’s really like over there. Positive’s and negatives.

But still live in hope that the pro’s still out-weigh the cons and the OH will soon see the BIGGER picture…

Speak to Mark and Rob. They both moved out there from the UK and will be able to give you the full low down. They’ll both chime in here at some point I expect. Rob is having some family ‘issues’ atm so be patient and I think Mark must be on the road as I still have a couple of PMs to him still sat in my outbox.

Goldfinger, your age will not be a problem, i am 49 and into my 7th year here, but you must both be 100% commited to the move,we did two yrs research and visited twice. as for a class 2 erm… could be a problem. you woluld not be able to get in as “long haul truck driver” as you will need a class 1 for at least a couple of yrs, yes you could get in at the oil fields if that province has a scheme set up with the government?? your best way in would be with your partners nursing skills, then you can get a class 2 driving job. you will still have to take a re-test though. steve

RE-TEST■■? :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Oh no…

Goldfinger:

Oh no…

Oh yes! and it’s different too. :smiling_imp:

You have to learn all about airbrakes for a start. Get the pretrip wrong and your test doesn’t proceed any further, you failed already.
Best to get some lessons from a trucking school before hand so you have an idea of what is required.

You can study the rules in the UK before leaving by downloading the commercial drivers hand book.
transportation.alberta.ca/co … bk2009.pdf
This is the version for Alberta. Each province issues its own licences.
Most rules are the same as far as I know, but you should look for the handbook for the province you intend to work in.

Note though that a class 1 licence covers not just trucks but buses and taxi’s too and on your rules test (theory test) they ask questions specific to those vehicles as well as on trucks so you will need to learn all of it.

Make sure you can pass a drug and alcohol test as well, one chap studied all night at the pub for his and still failed.

Brentanna:
Make sure you can pass a drug and alcohol test as well, one chap studied all night at the pub for his and still failed.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Big Jon’s dad:

Goldfinger:

Oh no…

Oh yes! and it’s different too. :smiling_imp:

You have to learn all about airbrakes for a start. Get the pretrip wrong and your test doesn’t proceed any further, you failed already.
Best to get some lessons from a trucking school before hand so you have an idea of what is required.

You can study the rules in the UK before leaving by downloading the commercial drivers hand book.
transportation.alberta.ca/co … bk2009.pdf
This is the version for Alberta. Each province issues its own licences.
Most rules are the same as far as I know, but you should look for the handbook for the province you intend to work in.

Note though that a class 1 licence covers not just trucks but buses and taxi’s too and on your rules test (theory test) they ask questions specific to those vehicles as well as on trucks so you will need to learn all of it.

Though not school buses as I found out.Can drive a truck with two 53ft trailers but had to take another test to drive the wifes school bus up the back roads when she fancied a lie in.Only in Canada :unamused:

OK, folks, so I am firing at about 85% again now, so here goes.

Steve has hit the nail on the head… You need, before anything else, to be 100% committed. If you have any doubts at all that you will be able to do what is necessary then save your money for now, get a bit more ■■■■■■ off over there then think again in a couple of years. In the meantime, book your C+E and get the ticket. If you have the licence and hold it for a couple of years then even rigid experience will see you into work.
Don’t let the test frighten you. If you have a working knowledge then you will be able to work it out as you go along. In MB, in order to get your test you have the pretrip and the airbrake tests, but the practical driving test is actually very straightforward.

The whole bottom line is this… You need to really want it to work. You need to be ready to change everything you have learned to fit in with the ethos here. If you do not like working very, and I mean VERY long hours then you will be disappointed. But if you want to be on the road and earning then you will have to work the hours, do the miles and not complain.

From a personal point of view, I have always done the jobs as they come. I became a “go to” guy for stuff that needed doing. I work the ice, and weather only stops me when the police shut the roads. Because I have earned a good reputation, the company I am with respect me and that is why I am now a city driver. It is because they know it was not my choice really, but a necessity. Some of the firms around would have dropped me like a hot brick with the circumstances I now have.

So no messing, if you are ready to do everything again, and ready to pack everything up and move somewhere where going back is not a realistic option, and want to work harder than you ever have, then you will do fine. But if you doubt anything then you should wait a while.

Spot on,you need real determination.There are a lot of obstacles to overcome and unless you REALLY want to make it work don’t attempt it.Before someone comes sniping ,I’m not saying that it’s difficult because if I can make it work so can the next man,just be sure the move is for the right reasons and all persons involved are in agreement.Just a breeze after that :slight_smile: