Too high?

I recently started on a hook loader ( first time for me) and was asked to take a high load… it measured 16 ft 3… I thought this would be ok as no low bridges en route… Unfortunately, the load caught some overhead lights spanning the road… can someone advise me if I’ve made a mistake with clearances?

Sent from my VIE-L09 using Tapatalk

Obviously not great that you hit the lights, but I don’t believe that we have a maximum height limit in the uk. If that is so, if the lights were not height marked are you in the clear?

While there is a requirement for any structure with less than 16’ 6" clearance to be signed, the absence of same doesn’t give drivers carte blanche to drive into them.

Roymondo:
While there is a requirement for any structure with less than 16’ 6" clearance to be signed, the absence of same doesn’t give drivers carte blanche to drive into them.

I agree, but presumed as they were not marked that they would be 16, 6 or higher… I think the police may try and prosecute me but I can’t see they would have a case… that’s the last time I take a high load…

Nobber:
I recently started on a hook loader ( first time for me) and was asked to take a high load… it measured 16 ft 3… I thought this would be ok as no low bridges en route… Unfortunately, the load caught some overhead lights spanning the road… can someone advise me if I’ve made a mistake with clearances?

No. Whoever’s fault it is, it’s not yours.

Maybe the lights were too low. Maybe the vehicle was loaded so that the load protruded over the 16’ 6", but either way neither of those are your problem.

Harry Monk:

Nobber:

Maybe the lights were too low. Maybe the vehicle was loaded so that the load protruded over the 16’ 6", but either way neither of those are your problem.

Thanks for your support- just found out that the lights have been hit several times before! Anyone know who I should report this to, as it’s obviously dangerous…

This is from the health and safety executive

Height
You need to measure and record the vertical clearance under overhead obstructions on all routes.

Your measurement should include any suspended lighting, ventilation or other service features, which are often added after the initial design.

You can then use this information to decide how much overhead space vehicles will need to move around and work safely.

Road vehicles in the UK are usually less than 4.5 m tall. However, tipper vehicles in the raised position can be much taller than this and need more clearance, see Tipping.

If possible, routes used by road vehicles should allow for 5.1 m clearance (which is the normal height of UK motorway bridges). However, if there is a steep ramp running down to an overhead obstruction (for example, when entering a building), the effective height could be reduced for longer vehicles. See how this happens [PDF 28KB] PDF.

Clearance for goods vehicles may change with raising or lowering the mid-lift axle, if this is a vehicle feature.

A change to the level of the driving surface could also affect clearance. If a route is resurfaced, you may need to take measurements again.

Heisenberrg:
This is from the health and safety executive

Height
You need to measure and record the vertical clearance under overhead obstructions on all routes.

Your measurement should include any suspended lighting, ventilation or other service features, which are often added after the initial design.

You can then use this information to decide how much overhead space vehicles will need to move around and work safely.

Road vehicles in the UK are usually less than 4.5 m tall. However, tipper vehicles in the raised position can be much taller than this and need more clearance, see Tipping.

If possible, routes used by road vehicles should allow for 5.1 m clearance (which is the normal height of UK motorway bridges). However, if there is a steep ramp running down to an overhead obstruction (for example, when entering a building), the effective height could be reduced for longer vehicles. See how this happens [PDF 28KB] PDF.

Clearance for goods vehicles may change with raising or lowering the mid-lift axle, if this is a vehicle feature.

A change to the level of the driving surface could also affect clearance. If a route is resurfaced, you may need to take measurements again.

Thanks, I’ll talk to the HSE about it…

Nobber:

Harry Monk:

Nobber:

Thanks for your support- just found out that the lights have been hit several times before! Anyone know who I should report this to, as it’s obviously dangerous…

Send a Email to the local council about them.

Harry Monk:

Nobber:

Yes, this is the right answer.

Once upon a time UK company truck destroyed Christmas light of a village…
Village lost in front of the law and had to take all the blame and bill…

If anyone puts up something across the road that is under national height limit it must be marked, if it’s not whoever put it up is liable for everything including damage to truck.

Just out of interest, where were the lights? We have started pulling trailers which are a fraction under 16’4" so I’m becoming a bit more wary of what the UK’s ‘safe height’ is.

There’s been a number of times where there has been phone cables across a road I’ve turned into with a big dip in them and they look way lower than my trailer. And ever time I think well sod it, if I take a neighbourhoods phone line down there is no height restriction on the road so not my problem. Never have done yet. But I’m of the impression that if not marked then not your fault or not your problem!

tallyman:
Just out of interest, where were the lights? We have started pulling trailers which are a fraction under 16’4" so I’m becoming a bit more wary of what the UK’s ‘safe height’ is.

In Pewsey, Wiltshire.They are carnival lights that now stay up until Xmas! I’ve inspected them with an electrician this morning and discovered that they are held up with string and gaffer tape! No wonder they are beginning to droop! I’ll be on to the council about it tomorrow, so hopefully they’ll be gone very soon! I’m the local pariah at the moment…