Tomtom truck

I am looking at getting a tomtom truck. Not sure if I am going for the 5150 pro or an older unit with the sd map card installed 2nd hand off eBay. Does the sd card version support RDS traffic?

Go with the Garmin pronav or copilot on your phone or iPad

Sent from my HD7 T9292 using Board Express

Go for the 5150 as you will get the lifetime maps, live traffic (which is loads better than rds but costs about £45 to update after the first year).

The sd card variant does work with the tmc antenna though. But you cannot update the map with these. Once the map is out of date and you want a new one you have to buy another sd card.

I am just about to sell my 7100 truck and my 550 for a 5150 as this will do the job of both.

[ But you cannot update the map with these. Once the map is out of date and you want a new one you have to buy another sd card.

Rubbish i have updated maps several times using same 4 gig sd card all for free :unamused:

gezt:
[

Rubbish i have updated maps several times using same 4 gig sd card all for free :unamused:

Free■■? How?

:unamused: :unamused: :unamused: navitotal.com

navitotal.com/showthread.php … -TRUCK-Map

all there for free :slight_smile:

Cheeky! :wink:

gezt:
[ But you cannot update the map with these. Once the map is out of date and you want a new one you have to buy another sd card.

I was talking about the map update service when I said you needed to buy a new sd card, you know using the old money method!

I went ahead and purchased the pro 5150 and here is a little review.

After using it for a week I thought I would post a quick review.

I have been very impressed with the routing, it has kept to the best routes for the truck routing me around low bridges etc.

The traffic option is much better than the other two as it is delivered via a Vodafone sim in the device rathe. The others use a FM radio signal, which does not always work due to proor signal reception in many parts of the uk.

I have imported my own points of interest with ease and they are clearly seen on the mapping screens. (This option is not available on the snooper).

I have lifetime map updates included with the unit, which was an extra cost for both the snooper and garmin.

If you are looking for a sat nav, and are familiar with tomtom it is worth noting that the software and hardware is the same as their current models just with the truck routing added.

I would strongly recommend the tomtom to anyone looking for a new sat nav.

how much does it cost having the sim card in. is it payg or contract.

gezt:
how much does it cost having the sim card in. is it payg or contract.

Tomtom pay for the airtime as part of their live services subscription, free for the first year!

Great review!
Nice one.

To cut a long story short me and 4 mates at work bought Snooper S5000’s and they were absolutely shocking. The routing was terrible and I can honestly say they didn’t take us to anywhere we wanted to go. Snooper technical support were also useless and told us that it wasn’t their unit, it was the locations we were going !!

The snoopers were sent back and we all had Tomtom pro 5150 with free lifetime map updates and tomtom love free for 12 months… Wow what a difference. This unit is excellent. Can’t rate it highly enough :thumbup: my 1 criticism is that even in truck mode the speed limit on motorway shows 70 and so on. I’ve set my vehicle maximum speed at 54 though so its only a problem if you don’t know the speed limit for your vehicle on certain roads.