TomTom Pro 5150 help

I Just bought my first TomTom (always had Garmin before)-its the Pro 5150 Truck.
My mate has an old 730 with all the AS24/IDS sites around Europe on it…can someone tell me where & how to get this POI database for mine?.
Also,can I download new voices for it?..I find TomTom very confusing after my Garmin!.
Cheers.

you use my drive web page, on bottom of page you see the my content tab, that’s where you add your poi’s.
once you get used to it you will see it is far better than garmin, would suggest you don’t subscribe to the map share as it will put back any corrections you have made, upload yours by all means but don’t accept ones made by others or tomtom, its a pain in the ■■■.
hopefully they will be removing the London lorry control weight limits soon, they have now recognised they are a waste of space being on the devices (or so they say)

snooper have it right when the lorry ban is active it says timed limet then an option to accept or re route i found the tom tom routing useless in trucks Banbury to batley via the a361 i don’t think so

I didnt know you could download the AS24 sites onto the TomTom, that would be handy. I just use the book with a list of the sites and type that address in.

As a previous post says, I know you can go onto ‘my drive’ for updates and to change voices.

If you download the POI files, just connect the device to a computer and open it up as if it were an external hard drive. Find out where POIs go and place the AS24 files into that folder.

bjd:
snooper have it right when the lorry ban is active it says timed limet then an option to accept or re route

never see that option on mine I had…

Thanks for the help guy’s, but I still can’t download the voice files… the confirmation email from Tom Tom says to connect to TomTom home,but the website says the 5150 Pro is only compatible with MyDrive… and that don’t show the voice download…think I wasted eight quid!!

If its like any other Tom-tom you can hook it up to the computer, use Windows Explorer to navigate to it just like a USB memory stick and manually put the files on the Tom-tom.

Conor:
If its like any other Tom-tom you can hook it up to the computer, use Windows Explorer to navigate to it just like a USB memory stick and manually put the files on the Tom-tom.

Not with the newer devices, including the 5150.

They all need doing via the tomtom website and client. You will not see it in explorer any more as they are not in FAT format after a lawsuit from Micro$oft

trubster:

Conor:

Not with the newer devices, including the 5150.

They all need doing via the tomtom website and client. You will not see it in explorer any more as they are not in FAT format after a lawsuit from Micro$oft

Yeah, just tried with my 5150 and it doesn’t show up in the Finder on OSX either.

i found tom tom support very unhelpful

I’m not sure about the files you’re trying to put on but you can download files then add them as poi files. That’s what I did with key fuels. It’s in My Drive then contents.

Thanks… will give it another try when I get back from Gib.

bjd:
snooper have it right when the lorry ban is active it says timed limet then an option to accept or re route i found the tom tom routing useless in trucks Banbury to batley via the a361 i don’t think so

If I ask my TomTom to plan me a truck route from Banbury to Batley it suggests A423 to Coventry then A46/M69 across to the M1. Ask it to plan a car route and it suggests M40/M42/A42 to the M1.

Tried mine for the last 2 nights (been back on the old Battersea run) and I’ll say it’s a good job I knew where I had to go…■■■■ me, it didn’t have a clue! Wanted me to go A4 then down through Earls Ct…fine if you can get there before 9pm so for a giggle, I rerouted it…wanted me up the 25, in on the 40 and through to Earls Ct again! I ploughed down down the M3 and instead of picking up the S.Circular, it wanted me to go straight on, pick up the M4 and through Earls Ct…again! As for coming out, it made woeful mistakes, even trying to route me under a 13’ and a bit bridge when I’d set the height for 15’! Even when I was heading out the other side of Wandsworth up the A3 to come down through Roehampton and left on to the S.Circular, it wanted me to turn right towards Putney!! At Chalkers corner, again it wanted me to turn right instead of left and out on the 316!! My advice…leave it in ya bag when going into ‘The Smoke’ and get a big, fat London Street Atlas!

Actrosman:
Tried mine for the last 2 nights (been back on the old Battersea run) and I’ll say it’s a good job I knew where I had to go…[zb] me, it didn’t have a clue! Wanted me to go A4 then down through Earls Ct…fine if you can get there before 9pm so for a giggle, I rerouted it…wanted me up the 25, in on the 40 and through to Earls Ct again! I ploughed down down the M3 and instead of picking up the S.Circular, it wanted me to go straight on, pick up the M4 and through Earls Ct…again! As for coming out, it made woeful mistakes, even trying to route me under a 13’ and a bit bridge when I’d set the height for 15’! Even when I was heading out the other side of Wandsworth up the A3 to come down through Roehampton and left on to the S.Circular, it wanted me to turn right towards Putney!! At Chalkers corner, again it wanted me to turn right instead of left and out on the 316!! My advice…leave it in ya bag when going into ‘The Smoke’ and get a big, fat London Street Atlas!

Yo put mine in car mode when I’m in any city otherwise I know I’m going the longest way possible, agency drivers must love them, they’re the ultimate time wasting tool.

bjd:

“First Line” TomTom support is pretty poor - Each agent will be dealing with several dozen customers at any one time, so all they are doing is following a closely defined script to get you to try all the “standard” stuff in an effort to get your problem resolved without anyone really needing to do anything. This sort of approach is common throughout the tech/computer industry. Although it can be very frustrating for the punter, it is actually very successful at winnowing out the simple problems/those where the customer really only needs to RTFM.

Once your case has been referred on for a bit more in-depth/personal attention, they are actually very good, in my experience.

Roymondo:

bjd:

“First Line” TomTom support is pretty poor - Each agent will be dealing with several dozen customers at any one time, so all they are doing is following a closely defined script to get you to try all the “standard” stuff in an effort to get your problem resolved without anyone really needing to do anything. This sort of approach is common throughout the tech/computer industry. Although it can be very frustrating for the punter, it is actually very successful at winnowing out the simple problems/those where the customer really only needs to RTFM.

Once your case has been referred on for a bit more in-depth/personal attention, they are actually very good, in my experience.

well after several phone calls about the issue that the great 5150 wont accept a profile of 13 6 height they finally agreed saying its a software glitch i asked what’s being done abour it ? reply nothing we class it as a low level issue as you can set it to 13 7 now in my mind i no i can do this but it dosent distract from the fact that it dosent do what it should so its therefore unfit for purpose so it went back

bjd:

Roymondo:

bjd:

well after several phone calls about the issue that the great 5150 wont accept a profile of 13 6 height they finally agreed saying its a software glitch i asked what’s being done abour it ? reply nothing we class it as a low level issue as you can set it to 13 7 now in my mind i no i can do this but it dosent distract from the fact that it dosent do what it should so its therefore unfit for purpose so it went back

Since when did a rounding error in a device’s programming make a support department “unhelpful”?

Would it not accept 13’ 5" as ‘work around’? Just a thought.