TomTom planning with a limited speed

Anyone who has a later tom tom like I have may be interested to know they’ve now updated so we can plan with a limited speed again I think you may have to update you sat nav online then go into settings to route options then select “ask everytime I plan” return to your navigate to screen ,then when it goes to the options screen go from the 1st options screen to the 2nd screen press the set speed button hey presto ! You will have to do this every time you plan a trip ,but its worth it for realistic journey times.

OR… use TomTom Truck, which plans for 50D/C 40S/C speed limits

And costs a bloody fortune!

Great! I always found limited speed very accurate for arrival time, nearly always within 5 minutes. Truck satnavs are so expensive so I’ll stick with a standard car satnav and a bit of common sense

£250-300 for one that routes you around bridges and weight limits, with live traffic for 12 months and lifetime updates…

I wouldn’t say that was expensive to say how long it will last

A standard cheap satnav is about £100 - £150, the truck one is worth every penny

Never used a truck one yet so for now I’ll just save my money!

I have to admit I have been tempted to buy a truck nav when I couldn’t plan with a limited speed but I bought a Phillips navigator with bridge heights and weight limits ( because I never wanted a sat nav I’m a bit “old school” but I grew to like them) to double check routes , but now I’ve got limited speed back as an option I’m more than happy with the £169 I spent inc live services.

gickniff:
I have to admit I have been tempted to buy a truck nav when I couldn’t plan with a limited speed but I bought a Phillips navigator with bridge heights and weight limits ( because I never wanted a sat nav I’m a bit “old school” but I grew to like them) to double check routes , but now I’ve got limited speed back as an option I’m more than happy with the £169 I spent inc live services.

What is your exactly? :smiley:

trubster:
£250-300 for one that routes you around bridges and weight limits, with live traffic for 12 months and lifetime updates…

I wouldn’t say that was expensive to say how long it will last

A standard cheap satnav is about £100 - £150, the truck one is worth every penny

Plus one. :laughing:

The speed set option has been available on every tom tom I have had. One XL, 720, 740 and now the 940. Major problem has been that bluetooth standards change on phones but on sat navs, so the read out text option on the Go740 isn’t available on the late ones

bigdennis:
The speed set option has been available on every tom tom I have had. One XL, 720, 740 and now the 940.

But it hasn’t been on the new ones for a couple of years now (the 940 is about four years old now, so hardly a current model).

gickniff:
Anyone who has a later tom tom like I have may be interested to know they’ve now updated so we can plan with a limited speed again I think you may have to update you sat nav online then go into settings to route options then select “ask everytime I plan” return to your navigate to screen ,then when it goes to the options screen go from the 1st options screen to the 2nd screen press the set speed button hey presto ! You will have to do this every time you plan a trip ,but its worth it for realistic journey times.

So what do you set your limited speed too, personally I have mine at 52mph.
As for a truck sat nav, never really come unstuck not having it, don’t bother with paper maps, I couldn’t justify the cost, I bought the Tom Tom iPhone app and well pleased with it.

DWYNE:

gickniff:

What is your exactly? :smiley:

Go live 820 got it mainly for the live traffic which has saved me hours but it didn’t have the limited speed option until now and now its near on perfect I’ve set it to 53mph and its journey times are virtually spot on.

weeto:

gickniff:

So what do you set your limited speed too, personally I have mine at 52mph.
As for a truck sat nav, never really come unstuck not having it, don’t bother with paper maps, I couldn’t justify the cost, I bought the Tom Tom iPhone app and well pleased with it.

As I’ve just said 53mph and I’m not far off I’ve always double checked new and strange routes on a navigator map as I have nearly been caught out a couple of times trusting the sat nav.

I recently bought the TomTom truck sat nav. First sat nav I’ve ever bought in all the years I’ve been driving and I think it’s absolutely brilliant, live updates that tell you about delays, road closures… how far ahead they are and how much time the delays will cost you. It re-routes you if you want it to and for places I’ve not been to it’s right on the button so far. Really pleased with it :slight_smile:

I’ll still have a look at my maps though before I’m setting off …maybe old habits do die hard :laughing:

As the USB connector has fallen off my trusty TomTom One (still trying to solder something back together) can I assume that, as it doesn’t seem to be mentioned in the ads, the handy itinerary capability no longer exists on the latest standard TomToms?

Snudger:
As the USB connector has fallen off my trusty TomTom One (still trying to solder something back together) can I assume that, as it doesn’t seem to be mentioned in the ads, the handy itinerary capability no longer exists on the latest standard TomToms?

Yes, you can. The new ones do not have Itinerary Planning as such. Instead, you get the facility to plan a “Travel Via” route that uses several waypoints. Unfortunately it is Not Very Good. Broken, in fact.