TomTom 6250 Pro

I’ve taken a job with lots of city work and have given in and bought a sat nav.
However, I’m not sure wether it’s me, or I have a faulty unit as after around 4 times of using it, the voice command cuts out.
I have checked that the voice command is on and the volume is up.
Also, after it happening the first time, if I switched the unit off, it wouldn’t switch back on.
I’d had it plugged in for the entire journey.
I brought it home on the Friday night and changed it up and still it wouldn’t come on.
I gave It one last go charging on the Sunday and on it came.
I do lots of cab hopping from 8 wheelers to low loaders on a weekly basis, so I’m wondering if the 12v charger socket In the cabnwas not pushing out enough current? Is there a minimum amperage requirement?
It’s an all Volvo fleet if that sheds any light on the situation?
I just need to know if these problems are due to my inexperience (after 30 years of reading maps all over Europe with great success) or do I need to make a warranty claim?
Any advice would be useful.

i had one it was the same i sent it back and got a snooper

Doesn’t sound right. I have the 620 and its a decent unit, you might just have landed a bad one. If you press and hold the power button for a couple of seconds it should power up with a ‘drum roll’ noise which is like a reboot on a windows pc.

There may also be some software updates due especially as it is fresh out of the box. I think you will have wifi on that model so just needs to be connected to the internet and have power supply to be able to update, I think the option is in settings, updates if the same as mine,

I have a 6200 and it sometimes does the same. As above push and hold the power to reset it and mine comes back on after that

I’ve got my eye on one of these for the near future, I’ve read a ton of reviews on it and your problem is one that has been reported by a few other people too, so it’s not just you. I’ve used mostly TomTom for years now and sure there are occasional problems but on the whole I’d rather buy TT than Garmin anyday.

The worst bit about TomTom, is there customer service, it’s craap, staffed at an overseas call centre and all they say, doesn’t matter what the fault is
“Have you tried master reset”. Then you get 6 emails asking how was your experience. Best off going onto the TomTom forum,as that has more information.

Only problem I have with mine is the live traffic doesn’t always work, seems to be a tethering problem,

The only problem I ever had with my 6200 is I could never get myDrive on the PC to connect with it even after following troubleshooting guides and factory resetting it.
Odd thing is though that it connects with myDrive app on my phone and tablet and also via the myDrive website just the PC program version can’t seem to see it.

As for actual usage it’s been bloody brilliant and completely faultless though.

Would I get another one if/when the need arose? Absolutely!

I will add that I wish they’d kept some of the functions and features of the older Go series though.

I find with my TT 6000 that after a day or so of continuous use with lots of re-routing it starts to get a bit “lethargic”, with screen updates and search operations slowing down. A reboot (switch it fully off and then press & hold the power button until it restarts with a “drum roll”) usually fixes it.

It was mentioned in another post that TomTom’s 1st line support advice only goes as far as suggesting you do a reboot. There’s a very good reason for this - it actually does fix most software issues (and many hardware ones)! Their 1st line support is typically staffed by low skilled “call handlers” whose main purpose is simply to record details of you/your device/the problem you are experiencing and point you at resetting and updating as a first attempt to fix it. Only if these approaches are unsuccessful will your case be escalated to a real technician. These are the guys (and girls) who really do know their stuff and will be able to spend a little more time and effort getting to the bottom of the issue. Many large technology companies operate similar tech support systems.

Reef:
I will add that I wish they’d kept some of the functions and features of the older Go series though.

I’d agree 100% with that!

biggriffin:
The worst bit about TomTom, is there customer service, it’s craap, staffed at an overseas call centre and all they say, doesn’t matter what the fault is
“Have you tried master reset”. Then you get 6 emails asking how was your experience. Best off going onto the TomTom forum,as that has more information.

Only problem I have with mine is the live traffic doesn’t always work, seems to be a tethering problem,

Do you run yours directly from socket or via a splitter? Mine used to do that when was on a splitter but is fine when in a dedicated socket. Another driver told me it needs full power for the traffic and can’t get that when sharing

Roymondo:
I find with my TT 6000 that after a day or so of continuous use with lots of re-routing it starts to get a bit “lethargic”, with screen updates and search operations slowing down. A reboot (switch it fully off and then press & hold the power button until it restarts with a “drum roll”) usually fixes it.

Yep, agreed. My TT 6000 gets proper slow sometimes on a busy day, multi drop, 3 minute drive between addresses etc.
Sometimes it resets itself, which can be a pain, but is quicker than me doing it manually, and it works fine after that.

Can I just point out here that when you hold the ON button to reset it, hold it until you hear a drum roll. It could be up to a minute. Just keep holding it in.

But, I have to say, sounds like a faulty unit.

Make sure you update it regularly ,if it carries on return it .mines sound .

Cheers lads most helpful