Tomtom 6000 and Garmin DEZL 770 at same price, which would y

If you had a choice between the tomtom trucker 6000 or Garmin DEZL 770 at same price, which would you take?

If you ring tomtom up they will give you 25% off the 6000 over the phone…dunno if that will sway your decision…
Look here -
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=128137

Personally I’ve always preferred the Tomtom over the garmin,tomtoms just seem more user friendly.

I would go for garmin as it offers free lifetime traffic information and tomtom gives you this for only 1 year. after this you will pay subscription. both give you free lifetime map updates which greedy tomtom started including for free only recently as older tomtoms users have to pay £££££ for this .

The first satnav I owned was a Garmin car nav. I then bought a Tom Tom 6000 when I passed my C. My current car has a manufacturer fit nav unit and out of all of them I found the Garmin to be the best.

None of the above, buy a cheap one like this viewtopic.php?f=5&t=128456, does the exact same thing as the expensive ones, I am currently using this and have no issues.

Garmin all the way the 770 is really good

As ash says neither by a decent smartphone app

Do the cheaper options do live traffic? Worth thinking about, and whether that makes them worth the extra…or some of it at least. The earlier comment that Garmin traffic is for life, but Tomtom is annual subscription (around £50 I think) may make the difference.

Knowing what the traffic is doing ahead of you helps you make smarter decisions on routing. Yes, you can look on Google, but the convenience of having your satnav work it all out for you may be worth the price.

It all depends on what you find important really.

Can’t speak for Garmins but Tomtom trucknavs are excellent. Looked into getting a Garmin at the time but thought the graphics looked pretty crap. If you can get a 5150 (I think) cheaper than the 6000 it’s extremely good. The only downside is after 12 months it costs you 47.50 for another years live services.

Do they both show 50mph in a national speed limit A road?

DEZL 770 everytime. It’s the one I use and it’s never missed a beat yet.

It does show 50mph on a national limit single carriageway 99.9% of the time. However, there have been a few roads where it still shows 40. Id rather it show 40 in a 50 than 50 in a 40!!!

I can only speak for tomtom 6000.

The live traffic is spot on all the time. Day and night it’s always showed me traffic and roadworks and always seems to do a good job of routing me around any planned closures, I’m yet to experience a road closure caused by an accident though, be interesting to see how it’d cope with that.

Same for speed cameras. Haven’t gone past a camera that’s not been on there, speed, average or red light cameras have all shown up.

The maps recently updated and I’d say it’s now 99% accurate with the new speed limits. Still the odd road here and there where it’ll show 40 instead of 50 but few and far between.

I find it very user friendly. Easy to use, nice display, good sound quality and easy to understand instructions (although some of the road names it came out with in Wales made me laugh!)

I’d say the only major downside is that it can be sluggish sometimes. I think this is purely down to the processor power included in the unit although it seems to have picked up slightly with the recent update. Asking it to find an alternate route can sometimes take forever as it always wants to give you at least 2 or 3 options so it has to work all of them out.

Overall though, I’d give it an 8/10. As I say I can’t speak for Garmin or Snooper, I did own a trucktables satnav which for the price (around £70) I couldn’t fault it. No live traffic and still on the old speed limits but for £70 it’s a top piece of kit, never failed me.

Im using TomTom GO950 live with truck navcore and truck map on it. Unit cost was about £70 from cex grade A and £37 for live services. All works as expected. Most important thing… I’m reading road signs while driving!!!