TomTom 5150

Hi guys, I’m thinking of buying a tomtom 5150 sat nav. I do quite a bit of driving down lanes and stuff, in skip lorries and fuel tankers. How will the sat nav be? Will it still get me to where I need to be or will it have a fit?
Also, I don’t fancy buying two sat navs, so will it be good for in the car as well? Cheers

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=98726

'Bout half way down.

I use the 5150 daily and its a top sat nav if the truth be known! Really cant fault it!!

The Live services are great for traffic etc etc, you can set up multiple vehicle’s on there so truck car van, caravan etc etc, it also acts as handsfree kit… which isnt the best but its ok for a short yes no, ill be there in 10 conversation.

The mapping is pretty bob on and you get map share on there too. I personally update mine weekly just keep it well up to date and its free for life, so i may as well!

I orignally had the snooper and thought it was terrible so sent it back and got this and really have no regretted it.

REMEMBER though you do need some common sense as well, you can set it so it doesnt make you do u turns… but it will try and route you down some dodgy roads to get you back on track if you go the wrong way and need to turn around.

Personally i really rate them used mine daily for 7 months now and its only had a hissy fit once and has froze a couple of times, but a quick reset and all is restored back to normal!

the bridge heights are a god send on there as well as the weight limits, when i was on agency doing multidrop home del it really did come into its own as its pretty precise with door numbers, so takes you exactly where you need to go…

The only thing i would recomend is to set the weight limit at 7.5t if you are in and out of residential streets as it wont route you really silly ways them to avoid the weight limits… great sat nav but it does need to be used like any other nav with some driver common sense!

hope that helps!

That’s brilliant info, answered all my questions in one! Cheers mate, ill definitely be buying one

drummerkev:
I use the 5150 daily and its a top sat nav if the truth be known! Really cant fault it!!

The Live services are great for traffic etc etc, you can set up multiple vehicle’s on there so truck car van, caravan etc etc, it also acts as handsfree kit… which isnt the best but its ok for a short yes no, ill be there in 10 conversation.

The mapping is pretty bob on and you get map share on there too. I personally update mine weekly just keep it well up to date and its free for life, so i may as well!

I orignally had the snooper and thought it was terrible so sent it back and got this and really have no regretted it.

REMEMBER though you do need some common sense as well, you can set it so it doesnt make you do u turns… but it will try and route you down some dodgy roads to get you back on track if you go the wrong way and need to turn around.

Personally i really rate them used mine daily for 7 months now and its only had a hissy fit once and has froze a couple of times, but a quick reset and all is restored back to normal!

the bridge heights are a god send on there as well as the weight limits, when i was on agency doing multidrop home del it really did come into its own as its pretty precise with door numbers, so takes you exactly where you need to go…

The only thing i would recomend is to set the weight limit at 7.5t if you are in and out of residential streets as it wont route you really silly ways them to avoid the weight limits… great sat nav but it does need to be used like any other nav with some driver common sense!

hope that helps!

whats these live services (traffic)
any good or what
and how much
is there a subscription

Live services are £20 a year, first year is free. I only use the traffic. It’s very hit and miss though. I’ve been in the middle of cities or towns and it’s accurately predicted a quarter mile queue at some traffic lights.

On the flip side it tried to drag me off the M6 a few weeks ago saying it was closed. The matrix signs were blank so I opted to stay on and didn’t see a thing. Had obviously been cleared. And recently when catthorpe was closed after that fatal crash it said there was a 15 minute delay on route. I decided to get off at J3 and cut across to the A45 from there just in case. Good job too as the queue was just visible after J3. Had a quick check of my Highways Agency app and it said J3-J2, 1 hour delay. No mention of long delays on the matrix signs either, just that it was shut from J2-M1.

Never even mentioned the M6 was shut. And it has the option to coz it told me when the M60 was shut recently after a bad accident.

I for one won’t be renewing it.