tomtom 5150

hi im trying to reset/update my tom tom 5150 that was affected by the satellite glitch. however I get the “device not connected” message . it seems I need to connect it direct to laptop and not via the mount/cradle . however that’s the only way to connect it ■■ there is no other socket/connection on the unit. anyone else had this problem ? how did you get round it ? have tried tom tom help and keep getting told "do not use the cradle to connect " have asked for a pic of the (non existant ) connection point but as yet its not forthcoming . :frowning:

Thought the port was on the bottom of it. Apparently only works correctly with the original TT USB cable. :unamused:

To the best of my knowledge, that “do not use the cradle to connect” advice is only correct for the 6000 and later models. These do have a separate micro-USB connector in the bottom, next to the main dock connector. On these models you do indeed have to plug the USB cable direct into the satnav if you want to update it. It’s been a while since I had a 5150 but I’m 99% sure that model doesn’t have the USB connector and has to be connected via the dock (or the dock connector if you have that type of cable).

Try a different USB cable.
Try connecting it to a different USB port on the computer. If it’s a desktop machine, the ports on the backplane are usually connected direct to the motherboard but any on the front panel are often connected via an internal hub arrangement and might not work as reliably.
Is the MyDrive Connect App fully up to date? I only use mine every couple of months for map updates and every time I have to update the App first.
Try temporarily disabling your antivirus and firewall (the App uses network connections to talk to the satnav). Don’t forget to re-enable them afterwards!
Uninstall the MyDrive software, REBOOT YOUR PC, then install a fresh copy of MyDrive.

Some combinations of App and OS will give you the facility to tweak the connection with your satnav. In MyDrive, click the cog wheel at top right and have a look in the settings to see if you can make any adjustments there.

There are also detailed instructions here uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answer … -my-device which tell you how to uninstall and reinstall the drivers in Windows 10.

Thanks for the replies, finally got a reply from Tom tom. There is a lead available that has on one end a fitting the same as in the docking cradle, £15.98 Inc p&p . Ordered it last night . Here’s hoping . I had given up on Tom tom and bought a Chinese one of ebay , but it didn’t recognise some of the post codes ? To be fair some of the places we go to ( very rural, isolated farms etc) aren’t shown on most maps .

syramax:
Thanks for the replies, finally got a reply from Tom tom. There is a lead available that has on one end a fitting the same as in the docking cradle, £15.98 Inc p&p . Ordered it last night . Here’s hoping . I had given up on Tom tom and bought a Chinese one of ebay , but it didn’t recognise some of the post codes ? To be fair some of the places we go to ( very rural, isolated farms etc) aren’t shown on most maps .

I’d like to see this expensive lead…sounds like an extortionately priced usb lead…a usb lead is just that, no matter what brand…same as these gold plated HDMI leads at 50-80 quid a pop…no different to the 2.99 ones I got from Tesco years ago!

Actrosman:

syramax:

I’d like to see this expensive lead…sounds like an extortionately priced usb lead…a usb lead is just that, no matter what brand…same as these gold plated HDMI leads at 50-80 quid a pop…no different to the 2.99 ones I got from Tesco years ago!

You won’t get far trying to plug a regular USB lead into a TomTom 5150…

Roymondo:

Actrosman:

syramax:

You won’t get far trying to plug a regular USB lead into a TomTom 5150…

It all makes sense now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk