Tom tom truck please help

I have only just brought a new tomtom a few months ago so don’t want to really buy a new one but i have the tomtom go 500 and was wondering if anyone knew if there was a way i could put truck maps on it?
it has a micro sd card slot but don’t know if it will work? i went on to tomtoms website and it sells the sd card pre loaded etc but it hasn’t got my go 500 down as compatable so confused as to why it would have an sd card slot.
many thanks for any help

If it’s the basic 500 then no, you need at least series 520 or above.

You CAN faf and get it on but it will be sluggish. Try selling yours and getting a later series.

Ive just bought a TomTom 5250,should be with me tomorrow/Tuesday.

For anyone who is interested(or it helps),I will post a report on its performance after a few days.

thanks for the responses guys, i knew id have to get a different one!
been looking on here at these, people on here have brought them and seem to be pleased
hgv-trucktables.co.uk/7-inch … at-nav.php

Got one I don’t use anymore, bought it about Nov I think. Once used to its quirks, it works very well cant fault it for price

eagerbeaver:
Ive just bought a TomTom 5250,should be with me tomorrow/Tuesday.

For anyone who is interested(or it helps),I will post a report on its performance after a few days.

Good luck, mine was a bit hit and miss to start with and tuck a bit of setting up as it was showing no maps, all sorted now and seems to be behaving itself. Saying that, the screen keeps going blank every so often and then resets and also seems to have a loose connection when going over bumps. It’s a typical tomtom pro with next to no support from tomtom.
Apart from that all seems to be okay for now!

First day with the 5250 today. No problems at all with it. I did notice that there was no voice giving directions,(probably need to go into settings to activate) but that being said I didn’t miss any roads so I might not bother.

3D view is pretty cool compared to my previous TT. Graphics seem to be far superior. Settings for height,width,weight didn’t reset themselves or anything. Need the sun to shine to see if the ’ anti glare ’ extra is effective. So far,so good.

I read a scathing report on the 5250 recently, shockingly bad by the sound of it. Relieved to hear your experience appears more positive.

Can you continue to post more thoughts as you get familiar with the unit? Is the routing truck-friendly, how does live traffic work out, does it pay proper attention to the vehicle settings, are there any important settings or features absent etc?

I’m thinking of an upgrade from the 5150, but I don’t want to land with an inferior unit only with better graphics.

Any opinions and reviews would be much appreciated.

No probs ORC. Gimme a few more days to play with it.

I personally preferred my tomtom 7150 to the 5250. The new 5250 seems to have a few glitches such as the English voice ‘serena’ keeps disappearing and the unit defaults to and American voice, the vehicle settings for height & weight are in metric if you do manage to get the unit setup for serena. The routing does seem to be slightly better than the old version as is the screen display and menu settings.
It might be worth hanging on before upgrading to the 5250.

You must be able to choose metric or imperial as mine is set in feet and inches!

You can set it to feet & inches, It all depends on the voice you select, if you select ‘Serena’ who reads, road names & numbers + signpost information, it’s all set to metric. Jane & Tom are set to imperial but don’t read out the above information.

Correct smokin’ re;voices

Just messing with it now-sound volume is a sliding volume bar which I have had on sweet f.a.

What a knob.

Seen some of the reviews about the Tomtom 5250 not good I’m afraid, it seems an expensive piece of kit …Not much change out of £300 when there are others out on the market that does the same thing… Be interesting Eagerbeaver if you have any issues over the coming weeks… be sure to keep it where you can see it coz someone might take a liking to it… :grimacing:

eagerbeaver:
Correct smokin’ re;voices

Just messing with it now-sound volume is a sliding volume bar which I have had on sweet f.a.

What a knob.

How are you getting on with the 5250?

I have the 5150 or whatever it is. Its slow but it works. Changing the voices has no bearing on what units the thing uses. I’ve got the American voice yet my units are in imperial.

Hi smoking.

5250 is performing brill mate. Been loads of places around the UK and its not let me down once. Pretty quick on its feet and not give me a duff road!

The live updates have helped quite a bit when accidents or heavy traffic is about.