tom tom problem

hi gents bought a new hgv tom tom the other day because i was fed up of using my older one that was for cars only being taken down narrow country roads, but the new one failed me the other day in london of all places by taking me down a narrow street which ended up taking me an hour to reverse out of.

My question is that the tom tom asks me for height, weight, width and length etc of the truck i am driving i put 8feet width as i was driving an artic what should i increase it so this does not happen again i was going to put 12 feet is this right :smiley:

The map might not have all the restrictions, the tomtom advised me to go down a road which looked fine but when I got to the end of it and turned left I came face to face with a 7ft width restriction sign and people shouting at me telling me I aint gonna get down there :unamused: I spent 45mins trying to get cars moved so i could turn around. I checked on my truckers map and the restrcition was not on there either.

ettie ket:
hi gents bought a new hgv tom tom the other day because i was fed up of using my older one that was for cars only being taken down narrow country roads, but the new one failed me the other day in london of all places by taking me down a narrow street which ended up taking me an hour to reverse out of.

My question is that the tom tom asks me for height, weight, width and length etc of the truck i am driving i put 8feet width as i was driving an artic what should i increase it so this does not happen again i was going to put 12 feet is this right :smiley:

2.5 metres.

Thanks for all the help gents you have been extremly helpful thanks again :astonished:

I am just downloading the Navigon Truck upgrade, interested to see how that copes, but I am certainly not expecting it to be full proof and I can’t imagine any of the systems are full proof either. Not sure who does what to get the info, the mapping company or the manufacturer of the unit. I do a bit of camera locations in PL for a UK database, I find many locations with the incorrect direction of a camera or wrong speed or not on the database, so how the mapping company or TomTom gather the information is unlikely to be everything or up to date. There is a fair old time lag getting information from the map people to TomTom to the public anyhow.

The bridges and widths that TomTom have on their database with help you when using the machine, but there are going to be a lot of sites not on the database or old information not corrected/updated, its a tool only, it helps me a lot, but I would never trust it.