tom tom go 910

never had a sat nav before, so ive just bought a tom tom go 910.
can any one tell me the good points about this model and the bad points.
thanks for your help. kev

I haven’t got a GO910 - I’ve got a ONE, but…

IMHO, Tomtom’s overall SatNav package is excellent - it’s routing is usually very good, the directions are clear, and the user interface has been well designed to be easy to use. Their position as market leader is well deserved.

Bad points:

• It doesn’t handle large, multi-lane junctions very well - on non-roundabout junctions, the voice directions are limited to “keep left/right”, “turn left/right”, “bear left/right” and “take the exit”. A good example of where it has difficulty is at the M6/M6 Toll split, where there are about 6 lanes going in various different directions. At this sort of junction, you’re unlikely to get exactly where you want to go simply by following the voice directions, but a quick glance at the screen gives you a pseudo-3D view of the roads ahead of you, and it’s reasonably easy to work out where it wants you to go from that.
  • You can tweak it a bit to favour major roads, but you can’t completely prevent it from trying to route you down a road which is unsuitable for HGVs. Some common sense is needed here (just like when using a map).
  • When using the “travel via” option to force a particular route, it often doesn’t recognise that you’ve passed the waypoint, and starts re-routing you to go back to the waypoint. This is something I think they need to sort out.
  • The 910 is expensive - you must have had some money burning a hole in your pocket :wink:
  • The 910 also contains a hard disk, which I suspect will make it more susceptible to shocks and vibration, and therefore potentially less robust, particularly if it gets transferred between vehicles frequently (like mine does)

Above all, it’s not a substitute for common sense and basic navigation ability, particularly in a truck.

I have the 910.

I like it. As said before it still tries to get you to go through weigtht limits etc. Common sense needed etc.

I’m a fairly new driver and to be honest I’d be lost without mine. (literally!) Mines a TomTom 1, yes it has guided me down one way streets and towards low bridges but if you use it with all that in mind its a useful tool.
I particularly like the 3-D map which gives me an at - a - glance of where I am instead of fumbling for maps/directions in the cab and also the distance to travel/time info.
It usually takes me right to the gate which is a relief when you’re in a strange town/city in the middle of the night.
C

I had a Tom tom 1 for a couple of years , but recently treated myself to the 910…its much better in so far that it…

1. Enables me to find an address if I dont know the street name , by put in the full post code of the destination .

2. On roundabouts it doesnt just say " take the third exit " it will also give you the road number , and the name of the nearest town that you should be heading for .

3 ) For holidays it has USA and Western Europe coverage. I used it last week in Florida…no problems at all.

1. It has an in built speed camera warning system ( not 100% accurate )

5 ) When on a motorway and approaching a number of exits that are close together …it will read out and show the exit number that you need to take.

But as stated , like all sat navs , it can do the usual and try and take you down small strets , low / narrrow / weak bridges…so a basic idea of where you are heading and a map / A to Z are needed…dont trust the sat nav 100% …its just an aid.

I don’t see why a2z is needed as the browse map facility willl provide the same info as an a2z

I have a 910. I paid £399 for mine in Nov 06 - have you seen how much cheaper they are now■■? :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp:

Pro’s - nearly everything about it, particularly, the hard disk which means I have loads of photo’s and MP3 music loaded on to it. Use a FM transmitter (plugged into the earphone socket) and listen to the music through your car/truck stereo.**

Cons - both my windscreen and desktop bracket have been replaced under warranty; it’d have been better if they didn’t need replacing in the first instance. :unamused: I don’t think the music is ‘stored/filed’ very well and can be a PIA to play it all.

Overall I think it’s a good bit of kit with ‘one or two’ niggles. I’ll be taking it to USA later in the year and also to Canada next year! :wink:

** The FM transmitter is also a bonus for my girls when they’re watching a DVD on the portable player - they feel like they’ve got ‘cinema surround sound’ when I run the movie soundtrack through the car stereo!!

alix 776 ,
I understand where you are coming from…
but I often like to get a more detailed look at the area surrounding my drop point as I plan my route…
an A to Z will show Police stns , post offices , cemetaries , etc which are handy if the Sat nav freezes , or throws a wobbly due to high buildings…
but on the vast majority of drops it gets me to the door.