Toll collect rumour

hi all , i have heard from a couple of drivers that there is a firm somewhere in the derby area that is fitting the toll collect machine into trucks for about 200 pound, then you get the first 200 pounds of german tolls for free. has anyone else heard this and if so is it true?

Well there’s a Service Partner (authorised to fit OBUs) in Derby.

The OBUs cost about €500 fitted, but you don’t get the money back.
I also used to think you got the money back, from something I picked up somewhere, but my boss says I’m wrong.

just another rumour doing the rounds then mate

Not near you i know, but Norfolk Trucks in Great Blakenham, nr Ipswich fit the boxes, my dad had his fitted there a few months ago. Not sure if all Norfolk Trucks dealerships fit them though, but Gt Blakenham definatly do. Dont know what the cost is for fitting them.

Simon:
The OBUs cost about €500 fitted,

The OBU’s are free and remain the property of Toll Collect, the charge is just for fitting. Mind you they don’t seem to ask for them back, I’ve got one in my garage and it has been there since I took it out of the truck in December 2005.

Simon:
but you don’t get the money back. I also used to think you got the money back, from something I picked up somewhere, but my boss says I’m wrong.

The original plan was that the cost of fitting the OBU would be refunded by not charging until you exceeded that amount, however when the whole thing got the delayed. that was changed to not getting it back.

we (finally :blush: ) had 2 done at derby and another booked in for next week, you don’t get any money back though - pm me if you need details but i think they are listed on tollcollect website

jj72:
we (finally :blush: ) had 2 done at derby and another booked in for next week, you don’t get any money back though - pm me if you need details but i think they are listed on tollcollect website

There’s a link to the Toll Collect site on the Euro Drivers Info Point sticky, at the top of this forum…
A lot of work by Brit Pete went into that post.
:smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

What is the price of fitting an OBU?

muckles:

When I had mine fitted in December 2004 and at the €/£ exchange rate at the time, it worked out to £188

Coffeeholic:

muckles:

When I had mine fitted in December 2004 and at the €/£ exchange rate at the time, it worked out to £188

Thank Coffee, not worth us doing it really at that price.
Infact I’ve just worked out that we only do 2 trips into or through Germany each year, so just have to keep using the Service station machines.

muckles:

Coffeeholic:

muckles:

Thank Coffee, not worth us doing it really at that price.
Infact I’ve just worked out that we only do 2 trips into or through Germany each year, so just have to keep using the Service station machines.

When I changed vehicle in December 2005 I didn’t bother having one fitted in the new vehicle. The machines are so easy to use and the times they give you for the trips are long enough that I didn’t see any real advantage to forking out the cash.

i went in there for the third time last week and dropped the last of our 5 obu’s in.
if you need to find it it’s just off the pentagon island, near to the derby truckstop which just happens to be the cattle market and is advertised in truckstop news.
i can’t remember what it’s called but it’s got a lucas sign on it and is the first building on the right as you turn left by the petrol station, you can see it from the a52 as you come to the island, they also sell tools and lights and lightbars and just about anything transport related.