Todays rant

Well, today (02:00-09:30) didn’t go as well as it could of but one thing stood out as the saddest thing that’s happened since I started driving for a living :frowning:

Near one of my drops I saw an old lady sat on the pavement in the rain with two walking sticks at her side looking pretty miserable, I’d passed before I realised I should stop and offer to help her up but couldn’t see a safe place to do so. The drop wasn’t far so I carried on with thoughts of checking if she was there on the way back (only 10mins ish). When I got to this drop (a fair bit later than usual) an arla artic was waiting at the gate; it’s a one-out-one-in yard, so I stopped and decided to ask the driver if he was going to be long - if he was, I’d have walked back to the old lady. I got to his cab door and nodded a hello, he just kind of half shook his head and looked away.

I gave up and started walking it anyway but saw someone with a dog heading her way so decided she’d be alright and went back to the truck. It just struck me this selfish “I’m first” attitude is one thing that really spoils this job, I don’t mind waiting even when I’m well behind but there’s no need to be so ignorant / arogant about it. If I’d asked to jump the queue, like I assume he thought I was going to, all he needed to say was - “sorry mate, I’m late as it is” and that’d be the end of it :imp: I knew the comraderie had near enough gone from the proffesion but, until today, hadn’t realised how bad it had got.

I just hope the guy with the dog (or someone else) got there fairly quick…

you idiot :exclamation: :open_mouth: :unamused: :unamused: the local rag will have a field day, tomorows head line…

Professional HGV driver ignores pleads of elderly lady

:imp: :imp: :imp: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

You’re probably right cc, and in hindsight there’s a few things I could’ve /should’ve done but didn’t, I was tired, stressed because I was so far behind and, luckily, there were plenty of other pedestrians about. I just found it sad how things work nowadays.

I was driving through Wishaw once and when approaching the lights (red) I saw the elderly man collapsing on the pavement. I pulled to the left, jumped over the fence and tried to help him. Luckily there was other pedestrian who turned up to be a nurse, so she was much better in first aid than me. She asked me to call the ambulance, what I did.

Then something like parking attendant or some local police (i am not sure what that uniform was) approached me and (completely ignoring the nurse trying to save guy’s life and fact that I was just speaking to the operator giving directions for the ambulance) demanded me to move a lorry, as it was parked about 2 metres on the double yellow lines… :unamused:

That’s all for helping…

orys:
I was driving through Wishaw once and when approaching the lights (red) I saw the elderly man collapsing on the pavement. I pulled to the left, jumped over the fence and tried to help him. Luckily there was other pedestrian who turned up to be a nurse, so she was much better in first aid than me. She asked me to call the ambulance, what I did.

Then something like parking attendant or some local police (i am not sure what that uniform was) approached me and (completely ignoring the nurse trying to save guy’s life and fact that I was just speaking to the operator giving directions for the ambulance) demanded me to move a lorry, as it was parked about 2 metres on the double yellow lines… :unamused:

That’s all for helping…

You want to think yourself “lucky” he didn’t slap a ticket on your windsreen :laughing: :laughing:

darkseeker:
Well, today (02:00-09:30) didn’t go as well as it could of but one thing stood out as the saddest thing that’s happened since I started driving for a living :frowning:

Near one of my drops I saw an old lady sat on the pavement in the rain with two walking sticks at her side looking pretty miserable, I’d passed before I realised I should stop and offer to help her up but couldn’t see a safe place to do so. The drop wasn’t far so I carried on with thoughts of checking if she was there on the way back (only 10mins ish). When I got to this drop (a fair bit later than usual) an arla artic was waiting at the gate; it’s a one-out-one-in yard, so I stopped and decided to ask the driver if he was going to be long - if he was, I’d have walked back to the old lady. I got to his cab door and nodded a hello, he just kind of half shook his head and looked away.

I gave up and started walking it anyway but saw someone with a dog heading her way so decided she’d be alright and went back to the truck. It just struck me this selfish “I’m first” attitude is one thing that really spoils this job, I don’t mind waiting even when I’m well behind but there’s no need to be so ignorant / arogant about it. If I’d asked to jump the queue, like I assume he thought I was going to, all he needed to say was - “sorry mate, I’m late as it is” and that’d be the end of it :imp: I knew the comraderie had near enough gone from the proffesion but, until today, hadn’t realised how bad it had got.

I just hope the guy with the dog (or someone else) got there fairly quick…

Am i reading this right? You said hello and he looked away and he has a selfish, i’m first attitude?

not just because of that mike, it’s just the way it worked out really but what would have been so difficult about winding the window down and finding out what I wanted?

I didn’t want to jump the queue, I had another drop I could do while I waited, I just wanted to know how long he was going to be - might’ve only had two cages for all I knew, so it wouldn’t have been long before I was back to where I’d seen this old lady - possibly quicker than I could walk, I know it sounds petty - it seemed worse at the time.