To old or what

Hi ? Passed class 1 (20 years ago )as something to fall back on .Still keep licence uptodate (ie medicals licence renew) . Due to job & family commitments only driven hgv about 10 times,now circumstances have changed thinking of doing a refreshesher course on the driving and going on to do some agency work . Will the course be all i need to do or am i wasting
my money,and has anyone got advice on courses available in the merseyside area and by the way i am 50 (old B****** ) any advice appreciated many thanks

I did all my training and took my test in a wag & drag so I booked myself a day on the training school artic. I would suggest you have a ring round your local training schools and see if you can book yourself a day’s training on their artic, assuming they have one, of course. Should be more than sufficient IMO.

There’s loads of advice on here about the latest regs too. I’m sure that I would have already got a tacho infringement had it not been for this site. Seems when it comes to tacho/WTD regs, as an agency driver, you’ve got to have your wits about you, cos nobody will look out on your behalf :wink:

OLD! dont put you-self down man! the average age in this games around 55, its one of the few industries where age discrimination doest exsist(lack of experince is the banana-skin),im a fair-bit younger than that by the way! cant help you out as far as courses in the ‘europeon city of culture’ :laughing: goes as im from the greatest city in this country BIRMINGHAM! :stuck_out_tongue: but im sure theres plenty of lads who can,Good-Luck with the course and work :wink:

ACCENTP97:
Hi ? Passed class 1 (20 years ago )as something to fall back on .Still keep licence uptodate (ie medicals licence renew) . Due to job & family commitments only driven hgv about 10 times,now circumstances have changed thinking of doing a refreshesher course on the driving and going on to do some agency work . Will the course be all i need to do or am i wasting
my money,and has anyone got advice on courses available in the merseyside area and by the way i am 50 (old B****** ) any advice appreciated many thanks

Welcome to TrucknetUK :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I am 50 next year and passed my class 1 (now C+E) in 1988. I drove rigids from 88 to 2005 with a day in an artic in 03 (owner driver with me) and I found that it was like riding a bicycle again - a bit wobbly at first but it all comes back to you.
I have taken rusty artic licence holders on refreshers recently and found that after the first 10 mins, I am passing on tips about the “finer points of driving” as I am getting BORED.

No, you aren’t too old, many people don’t even take their HGV test until they are past 50.

I passed my test 2 weeks ago & I was 50 last Wednesday.
I have my first Class 2 job on Monday. !!!

I decided on a career change & can’t wait to get stuck in.
Why would you be too old■■?

ditto all the above replies. remember with age comes wisdom, and you’ll have lots of that to offer a new employer. good luck. :slight_smile:

You’re certainly not too old but how easily you can get work will to some extent depend on the region you’re in, I would call into one or two agencys and see how much work is available, though you will need to use your head and not believe all that agency people say.

There are agency drivers here from your area so perhaps they would be able to give you some clue as to the work availability for inexperience drivers.

You don’t say when you last drove a HGV but as far as HGV driving is concerned it’s not your age that’s against you, it’s your lack of experience that you need to overcome so be prepared to start at the bottom and work your way up to better jobs :wink:

It may be worth considering going for work on smaller vehicles to start, class 2 or 7.5 ton this way you may well be able to start working as a driver immediately (If you haven’t already) and could even save yourself the expense of retraining by working your way up to larger vehicles :wink:

Good luck

Of course you are not too old. Dont worry about the age thing. 50 is the new 30 they say :laughing:
Just book yourself a days refresher on an Artic and it will all come back to you.
The only thing you will find is that the traffic is far worse than it was when you first passed so you will have to get on the ball a bit.

ROG:
passed my class 1 (now C+E) in 1988. I drove rigids from 88 to 2005 with a day in an artic in 03

I was 5 years old in 1988 :wink: :laughing:

Harry Monk:
No, you aren’t too old, many people don’t even take their HGV test until they are past 50.

I’m in my early 40s - thought that I was getting a bit long in the tooth for this game!

Never mind - you’re only as young as you feel - and if you’re an experienced driver, it can surely only help with both passing the test(s) - and getting that first job!

I came off the road in 1986 after 12 years on the M/E and went into engineering,on a trial basis,but was that busy and enjoying it so much I stuck it for 18 years until I retired 4 years ago at 60.I did keep up my HGV licence,just in case I might need it again,and within a few days of retiring I got bored and went down to my nearest agency and was in work almost immediately.After 10 minutes in an artic it was like I’d never been away!Within a few days I’d got up to date with tacho regs and new technology on the trucks,and after 4 years,I’m as happy as Larry.

I’m 41 and I have only just passed my class 1.

Bumped into my class 2 instructor whilst out working this last weekend. He’s 66 and still working for the agency.

Ian.

our contract states a retirement age of 70 so youve got a good 20 yrs of truck driving ahead of you, go for it

thanks for starting this topic! I am 51 studying for theory test at the moment…not a career change but extra money while I’m on days off after my block o shifts…but I hope in a years time it’s a full time job for me :slight_smile:

Kiowan:

ROG:
passed my class 1 (now C+E) in 1988. I drove rigids from 88 to 2005 with a day in an artic in 03

I was 5 years old in 1988 :wink: :laughing:

Whippersnapper (now there’s an OLD saying) :wink: :laughing:

from what ive seen most artic drivers are nearly all 60+ old codgers :laughing: at 50 your way to young to be driving artics :smiley:

:smiley: i am 44 in december and just passed my class1, i am going for an asessment as soon as my driver card comes back, i think you may be in a good pisition from what i hear they like experience but are weary of under 25’s due to insurance etc, at our age we have life skills :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: could be an advantage, good luck and i have also found out dont believe everything agencies say, i know we have to start at the bottom but that dont mean you have to take the job they are trying to fill, they want to make money also an if they can get you to do a job nobody else wanted they can give other jobs to others more money for them! just a thought i may be wrong!

I was on an agency as a drivers mate, and trust me if you do the jobs nobody else wants (particulary at the last minute) they’ll love you for it and you’ll start getting the better jobs :wink:

I passed my hgv when I was 50 yrs old and I loved every minute on the road. Sadly due to health reasons, I can no longer drive, but would if I could pass the medical. Liz