to moan or not to moan

hi all

i’m an agency driver.i was wondering how most of you handle vehicle defects?ive had quite a few instances wear i’ve had mabye a tyre that’s had some cuts in it.a tachograph that’s saying its got a fault,even though your told theres nothing wrong with it.nobody ever has any spare bulbs in case you havent got a light, or an indicators out.i haven’t been driving long,and i’m getting to the point where i’m dreading doing my walk round checks cos i don’t know what i’m going to uncover.i was wondering how the rest of you handle these situations.i do bring these problems up,but all you get is’yeah,we’ll have to have a look at that’,or ‘we haven’t got the parts or person to do anything now’.all that’s left is for me to refuse to drive the vehicle.i cant keep doing that on every job.half the trucks i wouldn’t end up taking out.i’m sure my agent would love that.then i’m wondering why i’m not getting called back to certain jobs anymore.probably cos they want lads who aren’t gonna cause a problem.i’ve seen in defect books drivers sometimes list quite a few things thats wrong with a vehicle(i haven’t looked exactly what).is this more how it usually works?things are listed then put right as soon as poss(next day,end of week)?or should things be put right on the spot?when your an agency driver and your called in cos someones off sick, you get there and its action stations!the trucks loaded and they want you gone!the gaffers there.all the yard lads are there.your stumbling around trying to do a few checks.making sure you have all your wheels and nothings on fire.at which point you announce your not taking the vehicle out cos there’s slight tyre defect and the indicators playing up.you’ll take it out when the tyres been changed and its had new indicator bulbs.you’ve completly f****d there day.lets see where a couple of them get you.that company isn’t going to want to use you again,and i don’t think you’ll be hearing much from your agent.
i know ive said it a couple of time but i’d love to know how the rest of you handle these situations.as far as i can see its a no win situation.

cheers :slight_smile:

If the vehicle is not road worthy then don’t take it out, you are the one driving it you are the one taking the risks if you take a vehicle out on the road when it is not fit for being on the road.

If I was on an agency and they didnt like it and didnt pay me I would be annoyed but that decision to not take the vehicle out may of saved me a big fine etc if I got pulled.

That is my opinion anyway and I will stick to it. But I havent driven for an agency so someone with more experience may tell you how to deal with it better.

Make it CRYSTAL CLEAR to any agency that you will not take out any client vehicle that you deem unroadworthy

The onus is now on the agency to tell the client BEFORE the send you to that job

If there is a problem with the client then refer them to the agency - do not get into any sort of discussion with the client - inform the client that you will be sitting in your car and awaiting instructions from the agency

Personally I have been to a few agencies and some really do take the mick (darn inability to swear :laughing: ) Either calling you last minute each time or like yourself sending you to firms that in all honesty you wouldnt touch with a barge pole.
I think we all as drivers have been there, especially when we are still wet behind the ears of passing. However, to what degree depends.
The first and last time for me was a night shift, got down there to be constantly hassled by the client for doing my checks. No height indicator on either the inside of the cab or for the trailer. Simply asked the question ‘You know the height buddy?’ To get told, ‘I would have thought it somewhere around 14ft 3.’ I then merely pointed out that I needed it in confirmed. Your wasting my time, F-this f-that, and of course, f-the other.
I jumped back in the cab and suddenly realised that it cost me around £1800 for both licences. That money had come out of my pocket, not the agencies nor the client! If i had got tugged or even worse it would have been my fault, my fine, my licence that could have been taken away.

Since then I have changed agencies and Im now well settled. Yeah its on van7.5t work and sometimes class 2. But the clients are great, to the point that I did a shift last week and the side light rear marker was out. Pointed it out to the boss and it was ‘Right take it out of the yard, go right, left , straight over and your will find the garage we use. Ill ring a head and it will be replaced in a couple of minutes’ It is refreshing to find companies like that.
The agency ring you when they want something and they ask about how your doing and whatcha got planned for the weekend etc. Sounds stoooopid I know but it makes you feel like a person not just a number.

But going back to it…

Big Brummie Macca:
If the vehicle is not road worthy then don’t take it out, you are the one driving it you are the one taking the risks if you take a vehicle out on the road when it is not fit for being on the road.

Bang on advice. If you did get pulled, then we all know the client and agency will join together and do one thing…deny all responsibilty

ROG:
Make it CRYSTAL CLEAR to any agency that you will not take out any client vehicle that you deem unroadworthy

Again great advice. Cover your own ■■■, its the best way.

Cheers for the Driver CPC website reminder in your reply before ROG. Cant believe I forgot all about it

Everything Tonka has said is top notch stuff there, so I will +1 it :sunglasses:

garnerlives:
Everything Tonka has said is top notch stuff there, so I will +1 it :sunglasses:

Bloody hell you feeling alright there mate? I know its 9pm somewhere in the world but at the minute its 15:12 in this country…much too early to be on the sauce! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

tonka236:

garnerlives:

Bloody hell you feeling alright there mate? I know its 9pm somewhere in the world but at the minute its 15:12 in this country…much too early to be on the sauce! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

No mate it must have been due to the fact I am normally in bed that time on a Sat for few hours after work, would have been the fatigue talking :wink:

That is also the reason I’m writing this at 03:32 ■■■■■■■ bodyclock :imp:

I was working for a company near Heathrow when they sent me to a garage to collect a unit. Got there and the man behind the desk says, the unit has air leaking and we haven’t got the part. Question to him was is it roadworthy, he said NO and shoved a waiver form under my nose to sign telling me if i get stopped then its an instant fine. My reply was that I’m not signing it and I’m not going anywhere near the unit. The company driver who took me there signed it and drove the unit back. I for one don’t drive any wagons if there is a defect. One company that I do a fair bit for has a fitter in the yard at 6am to fix all fixable defects before the wagons go out, all major defected wagons stay in the yard. Your license, don’t do anything to jeopardise it.

Nobody can force you to take an not roadworthy vehicle out of the yard, if something happens you will be responsible.
Not even if they sign a letter that you will be al-right, that actually makes it worse, because you are than driving KNOWINGLY an not roadworthy vehicle!

But… be 100% sure that you stand right, are you sure it’s not roadworthy?
A dirty, crap looking vehicle with some rust on the cab and a crappy seat, can be perfectly al right for the law, and no problem at all in a road check.

Some drivers come already into the yard, and if it not top of the range gear, they are looking for an excuse not to drive it.
Please let your agency know before you start that you only drive in vehicles not older than 2 year, just valeted and top of the range with the fridge filled to the gunnel’s.

Sometimes you come at a company who has nice equipment, but have some older trucks for cover work, some companies only have older equipment but in a perfectly technical state, this can be a disappointment for any driver in the morning,who expected to get a super truck.
When I started at the company I work now for 17 years, I started in an old F10 (280bhp) with a 4 over 4 gearbox (no splitter) and 1 million on the clock, but the work was good,and the money in time, I did another 500.000 with this old “banger” which was always 100% legal, the company where I worked before had top of the ranger 143H Scammia’s with all the whistles and bells. But pay was a joke, and you had to beg for tyres etc. The old “banger” was the better job!

Also if you make a defect while you are driving a vehicle, report it once your back in the yard, so companies are able to fix them.
Got a couple of times to much on Sunday evening a phone call of an agency driver, that the tyres where to far worn to take it out of the yard.
When I checked the record’s I noticed that the same driver had driven that vehicle on Friday, and I have seen a lot of things in my time, but never a tyre profile raining of in the weekend.
When I challenged him, because a Sunday call out of a tyre fitter is not a joke, this driver told me “ it’s not my job mate, I am a driver not a tyre inspector”
The next one didn’t want to change a light bulb because he was not a mechanic, etc etc.
For us the reason to stop using agency ( I must say we had many a good one, but most of the time we would take them on, or they would be snapped up by another company) and employ drivers who are flexible with their time and availability.

I found always that there are 3 types of agency drivers:
out of choice, because they want to choice when they work, or they have another job and only need a couple of hours here and there. (most times good motivated workers)
New drivers, with little experience (mixed very good to very bad)
People who can not keep a job because of reasons, I have to work but I don’t want it, my wife/mother/ partner don’t want me the whole day home, or I do only this that and the other. The agency told only that you where looking for a driver, not for some labour to off-load that trailer etc.
Nowadays there are a lot of good drivers at the agency, because of unemployment due to the economical situation.

You will find out that when companies hire agency, it’s most times to cover a problem (illness, extra load, break down etc.) so they need the load out ASAP.
Check your vehicle, but be realistic. If you need a night out in that vehicle, and it is that dirty that you only can drive it with a boiler suit on, inform them before you leave that you can not accept that, and don’t drop them half way the day in the ■■■■ when they are not able to change the planning anymore, every decent company will have a look with you and if it’s not acceptable they may change the planning or offer an alternative.
I refused more than once to sleep in a vehicle where somebody had a dog in, and got offered a night in a cheap hotel.
But talk, stay calm, don’t swear, and don’t thread, no company will accept that, because they will think,what is it gone be next.
If you are fair and calm about it, most people are willing to find a solution.
If a company or a TM, planner, yard man etc. doesn’t want to go either way to find a solution, phone your agency explain the situation and see if they are able to find a solution.
Otherwise it will be one experience richer, and a days money poorer.

thanks all for your replies.some good advice :smiley: