TNT subbies

Anyone noticed the amount of subbies pulling TNT trailers these day,s and the amount of them that don,t have a rear number plate. When I asked one why he did,nt use his number plate he said the fine was cheaper than the 3pts and speeding. Although he had been pulled for it and when they looked at his Digi card and saw all the other little misdemeanours it might not have been quite such a good Idea.
He said they were being run to the bone by TNT who had cut the rates by 10% and blamed it on the recession.

Blimey they was only on a £1 per mile to begin with… The hauliers probly get more but going back a few years now, I enquired as I live near the Hub and that was the cheese for the owner drivers, I declined.

Blimey they was only on a £1 per mile to begin with

I agree totally, I subbed to TNT for years with both truck and vans, money was not too good at all but they paid very very quickly i.e. purchase order, then invoice on Monday, money paid into bank following Tuesday, this really did make up for a lower rate and to know that the money WILL be paid. Wouldn’t do it now though.

MMK in Ireland have eitehr stopped or cut back doing TNT fron N.I to tehre hub about Stoke I think?? Montgomerys seem to be doing it now. Just shows a BIGGER company with lesser profit margins can make it pay as oppose to a company with say 10-12 lorries cant.

When working for a firm in Rochdale we enquired about subbing for them. They where paying £180 for a round trip from Rawtenstall to there hub in Brum. Thought it was not enough and declined. Although this was 3 years ago.

Their alot busier over here since City Link cut back on next day to England services

Used to run into Kingsbury 3x a week with Honda parts.
Was always some “blinged up” motors in there.
“Wrigglesworths” (spelling) - are they still about - flash FHs
Rayners was still running a couple of F10s in those days - says me , at the time i was in my trusty Iveco :sunglasses:
What was the craic with the shunters in there ? Ok for you boys putting a trailer onto the bay with a shutter door but they wouldnt wait for us mortals to open the barn doors or “heaven forbid” unlace the back of a tilt before putting the trailer on a bay ■■■■■
Was better when Lynx @ Nuneaton had the contract imo

I think Rayners have got around 50 units,most of which are on with TNT.
I always ask myself the same question about big firms using dedicated saubbies.
If the job pays a decent rate,why don’t they run their own lorries on it?

Ralph Coleman . . still about ?
Used to do a bit in there didnt they - tidy motors iirc ,.

Davnic:
I think Rayners have got around 50 units,most of which are on with TNT.
I always ask myself the same question about big firms using dedicated saubbies.
If the job pays a decent rate,why don’t they run their own lorries on it?

Easy to get rid of a subbie .Tin hat ready