TNT hgv 2 Driver

Hello there,
I’m new on this forum.I’m a female driver. I just passed my HGV class 2 licence last month.I was looking for a job as a driver.I went to TNT website serching there and found a job offer as a PUD Class C Driver.I applayed online,get interview,some basic maths tests and driving assesment.I have no expierience on HGV 2 but next day I had a phone call with job offer.They offer 13 weeks of term and after that permament full time position.There is also an oportunity to get a Class 1 license.I was wondering if anyone here have been work for TNT before? What is the real salary? I will be glad for any advice.I’m on change job career and that will be my first big step to driving industry.Thank you very much.

fabora:
I was wondering if anyone here have been work for TNT before? Thank you very much.

I worked for TNT logistics about 10 years ago before it was sold off. Money was average at that time but salary should have been one of the main things you asked at the interview (good luck finding that info on here). Anyway if I were you I’d grab the opportunity with both hands because it’s very rare to see them (express/fashion) advertise for drivers so that must tell you something. They regularly took people from vans or 7.5t & put them through c2+1, good to hear they are still doing it.

Cant comment on TNT specifically as ive only worked for them on night trunking papers , and that was donkeys years ago .

But if they have offered you work , or perhaps even paid experience , you would be bonkers not to take it ! .

Im guessing will be a multidrop role .

So you need to be mindful that your interests , and their interests are quite different :

They want all the drops done , the 9am by 9 , the 11am by 11 , the collections back in yard by 6 . or whatever .

YOU want to keep a clean licence , get 6-12 months experience , and …
Not have any accidents .

Everytime you go for another job they will look at points on licence and recent insurance claims . and thats about it .

Just take your time , dont smack truck or any cars and let any pressure they try and put on you go in 1 ear and out the other !

You are out there for yourself …

Not bloody TNT !!

Use em whilst you need them and chuck em when you can afford to .

Thank you Guys for replay.Yes it is multidrop delivery.The thing is to get to any job get some expierience and than you can search for something better.I can imagine this work will be under preassure and in rush all the time but will not stay on HGV 2( a year or two) because I want to go further and do class 1 with TNT.I think tnt is a good company to work with and if I get that chance I’m taking it :sunglasses: Thank you once again :slight_smile:

The FedEx takeover deal was approved by the EU recently so the TNT name might start to disappear soon. Noticed TNT have alot of new trailers which are white. Probably so it’s easier to rebrand them as FedEx trailers.

Also find out what their parking ticket policy is . you might be getting alot !!

And dont judge an employer til you have worked with them .
2 different sites of same company can be 2 very different experiences .

Might not be as bad as it sounds; I did a stint with UPS on class 2 and the difference between that and 7.5 tonne was enormous. The 7.5 tonners were the ones running around postman pat style, whereas I had maybe 8 drops maximum, all parcels, but palletised, with each company having 1/2/3 pallets. It was fairly relaxed actually.

No idea if TNT will be similar!

You need to sort out exactly what you want to do in the industry rather than vehicle type.On that basis don’t take on a multi drop job ‘unless’ you actually ‘want’ to do that,especially if the choice is being driven by the carrot of getting onto class 1.

At worse in the sector you’re describing the reality could mean that 'class 2 ’ job actually translates as typically high pressure multi drop 7.5 tonne work as opposed to the better job of 18 tonner bulk deliveries.The latter being a totally different job environment that’s possibly even better than the possibility of being lumbered with a 7.5 t job with the carrot of at best class 1 night trunking at ‘some’ point in the future and all the downsides of both.Especially in a world where such ‘trunking’ is now mostly hub systems with long hours spent trans shipping loads and then plodding back on empty motorways at 56 mph.

On that note if it was me I’d firstly ask is it 18t + rigid ‘bulk’ work,or 7.5 tonner multi drop.There’s usually a big difference between the two which can easily be confirmed by asking how many drops/collections required regards the former. :bulb:

If it’s the latter I’d walk away and look for a proper class 2 job as described above or something like bulk recycling/refuse work.Then get your own class 1 and look for work at your own leisure and own choice.

From experience in my own case of the sector you’re describing I entered it on more or less that basis with certainly no need to do 7.5 t multi drop to be a class 1 night trunk driver and I’d have walked away from any job that made an offer of the latter conditional on first doing the former.

Javiatrix:
Might not be as bad as it sounds; I did a stint with UPS on class 2 and the difference between that and 7.5 tonne was enormous. The 7.5 tonners were the ones running around postman pat style, whereas I had maybe 8 drops maximum, all parcels, but palletised, with each company having 1/2/3 pallets. It was fairly relaxed actually.

No idea if TNT will be similar!

^ This.
The difference between class 2 ‘bulk’ v 7.5 tonne ‘multi drop’ is key.

The only saving grace with 7.5t work is that you have the tacho so you can legally take a break, van drivers don’t have this option. I’ll echo whats been said, find out if its bulk or not. You’ll want to do bulk in an ideal world unless you can deal with the pressure of “real” multi dropping. I know some who really don’t give a toss and will get as much done as they can regardless of what the office say while others tear arse about trying to fit all the drops in.

That being said, I don’t think I’ve ever seen a TNT Class 2 wagon.

Carryfast:
You need to sort out exactly what you want to do in the industry rather than vehicle type.On that basis don’t take on a multi drop job ‘unless’ you actually ‘want’ to do that,especially if the choice is being driven by the carrot of getting onto class 1.

At worse in the sector you’re describing the reality could mean that 'class 2 ’ job actually translates as typically high pressure multi drop 7.5 tonne work as opposed to the better job of 18 tonner bulk deliveries.The latter being a totally different job environment that’s possibly even better than the possibility of being lumbered with a 7.5 t job with the carrot of at best class 1 night trunking at ‘some’ point in the future and all the downsides of both.Especially in a world where such ‘trunking’ is now mostly hub systems with long hours spent trans shipping loads and then plodding back on empty motorways at 56 mph.

On that note if it was me I’d firstly ask is it 18t + rigid ‘bulk’ work,or 7.5 tonner multi drop.There’s usually a big difference between the two which can easily be confirmed by asking how many drops/collections required regards the former. :bulb:

If it’s the latter I’d walk away and look for a proper class 2 job as described above or something like bulk recycling/refuse work.Then get your own class 1 and look for work at your own leisure and own choice.

From experience in my own case of the sector you’re describing I entered it on more or less that basis with certainly no need to do 7.5 t multi drop to be a class 1 night trunk driver and I’d have walked away from any job that made an offer of the latter conditional on first doing the former.

Apppologies for quoting his post in full, but my phone does not do select and cut very well.

Oh the voice of experience. Of course you would not take the ■■■■ job, and ask if the job offered is a ■■■■ job. And then walk away if it was not to your liking. As would I. But the op does not have the luxury of experience…

Take it if it’s offered. Then decide if you can/want to keep doing it. Your can do attitude will get you started and working. And working your way up to what ever it is that you now think you want. But there is only one way to find out.

Good luck.

TNT are always advertising thru agy round here for multidrop .

But they are 14 tonners !!

the nodding donkey:
Oh the voice of experience. Of course you would not take the [zb] job, and ask if the job offered is a [zb] job. And then walk away if it was not to your liking. As would I. But the op does not have the luxury of experience…

Even without the luxury of ‘experience’ there are other options than potentially feeling pressured by that into the difference between 7.5t/sub 18 tonner multi drop v 18t + bulk deliveries or recycling sector type jobs for example.

Carryfast …

Maybe the lady doesnt aspire to becoming…

A footing bin lorry driver !!

boredwivdrivin:
Carryfast …

Maybe the lady doesnt aspire to becoming…

A footing bin lorry driver !!

To be fair a 4-8 wheeler bulk recycling type job isn’t exactly the same thing as driving a ‘bin wagon’ and beats a 7.5t etc multi drop job depending on choice.

Yup im sure you are right .

But the lady still has to find a 4+8wheel recycling firm that will give her a start !!!

Thats the point . if TNT have offered her a job then she would be fruitcake nutjob to not give it a try at least !!

And as the other posters have said multidrops are not all bad . i have a friend works keedwells/jays starts at 6 and is going home most days at 4:30 . max 12 drops/collections but typically 8/9 . its terrible money £20k but its so easy he loves it . almost all drops are forklift and the office couldnt be more chilled . just ring in around 2pm to check which collections to do .

Dont scare the lady off before she has started man !

boredwivdrivin:
And as the other posters have said multidrops are not all bad . i have a friend works keedwells/jays starts at 6 and is going home most days at 4:30 . max 12 drops/collections but typically 8/9 . its terrible money £20k but its so easy he loves it . almost all drops are forklift and the office couldnt be more chilled . just ring in around 2pm to check which collections to do .

Dont scare the lady off before she has started man !

That would probably still fit the advice ask how many drops/collections and walk away if you don’t feel comfortable and happy with the answer and don’t feel pressured by the experience issue. :bulb:

Hi all. Still figuring out how to work the site, recently left the army and got my hgv licenses recently passed my cpc but struggling to find a job. Any hints and tips would be greatly welcomed. Cheers!

my view,
you are a new driver, and got a job, congrats well deserved. Personally, I suggest you take the job offer, yes it maybe a bit of hard graft, but remember you are wanting your class 1.

They are willing to train you in the future, whether its multi drop or 2 drops a day, you will get the hang of it and by the time you start getting bored or what not … hopefully you will have your class 1 test approaching.

You are getting paid and you have a plan in place, grab it with both hands, once in the job they will have internal vacancies where you can transfer to etc … they wont care if you are in the job a week or 30 years etc.

Good luck and keep us updated on how it goes …

Radar19:
I don’t think I’ve ever seen a TNT Class 2 wagon.

Yep, I’ve not seen many, alhough I live near the gatwick depot, and they had one there that did bulk deliveries/collections in Brighton. My mum also works for this depot and arranged a driving assessment for me a few years ago, with a view to class 2 work. In the end I didn’t really fancy multi drop work as its not my thing so didn’t chase it up. I don’t think they have the truck here anymore either.
For the op, if you’re looking for work and they’ve offered you a position, be it class 2 or 7.5t, what’s the harm in taking it. If it doesn’t suit you, then you know to scratch that area of driving off your list.
My mum has worked for them in traffic for nigh on 20years, I know some of the drivers from previous employment and they’ve been there similar or longer.