TNT Foreign plates

Just out of curiosity… Fine, stirring the pot…

Passed 3 TNT lorries yesterday in convoy Southbound M1, new Volvos, full TNT livery pulling TNT trailers, all 3 had Romanian plates…

Is this a new setup for TNT?

They have loads of different nationalities pulling their trailers.A few uk firms do trailer changes at Veurne in Belgium for them also.

Nozza:
They have loads of different nationalities pulling their trailers.A few uk firms do trailer changes at Veurne in Belgium for them also.

I realise they have lots of subbies, these however were fully TNT liveried orange units , I only noticed them as they were in convoy and they stuck out.

Might be their own trucks then.Using the usual cheap east euro labour.

Might be imports TNT Fashion logistics.

wheelnutt:

Passed 3 TNT lorries yesterday in convoy Southbound M1, new Volvos, full TNT livery pulling TNT trailers, all 3 had Romanian plates…

TNT Global Express (clue’s in the name) started off in Australia, so they’ve probably got trucks registered in nations all around the world.

GasGas:

wheelnutt:

TNT Global Express (clue’s in the name) started off in Australia, so they’ve probably got trucks registered in nations all around the world.

^^^^^^^ Spot on, seen them, same livery in every country I’ve visited.

Foreign trucks = flag of convenience as per oil tankers and Greece. :wink:

Not totally sure but I took this on the road coming out of Helsinki. I think it is Swedish registered
(might be Estonian) heading to the docks and I was told it had come out of Russia. Whatever it
was it is it show’s TNT are fairly widespread. Maybe Amazon has moved to Roumania and they are bringing
your Chrissy presents.

it’s an estonian unit, belongs to Elstera, who provides traction to TNT here in Estonia. they’re all in TNT colours.

Thanks for that, amazing what you can find out on here.

Most of TNT’s fashion comes through Romania, they used to sub it out but a lot of it is done under their own branding now.

I know a lot of the clothing and textiles once done by the Turks has now shifted to Romania and Bulgaria. I have a friend from Istanbul who’s family have been involved in the business for years and have not being able to compete with the above mentioned countries on cost so a lot of the work has shifted there.

Where these the three beauties that you saw?

GasGas:

wheelnutt:

Correct. TNT stands for “Thomas National Transport” BTW, been going for donkeys’ years.

Did you just correct that ?

peterm:

Yes. Thought it was “Thompson” but checked the TNT site. Blame a faded memory of a pic in one of the old “Observer” books I had as a kid, which showed an old LAD cabbed Albion artic in their colours. :blush:

They regularly get fully livered foreign registered trucks into their Round Spinney depot in Northampton which I believe is their inland clearance depot for foreign parcels/freight

danalex84:
Where these the three beauties that you saw?

They were the ones, they stood out. I didn’t realise they drive them all the way to Romania, guess fashion does not require overnight aircraft. I was questioning why use RO trucks in the UK on their trunking, now it makes sense.

Passed them on the M1 southbound JCT 15 early in the morning so it all fits.

Learned something new.

Sidevalve:

peterm:

Yes. Thought it was “Thompson” but checked the TNT site. Blame a faded memory of a pic in one of the old “Observer” books I had as a kid, which showed an old LAD cabbed Albion artic in their colours. :blush:

No worries, it’s just that I went to do the quote thing to tell you it’s “Thomas” and then noticed it was right and thought I was getting even dafter than usual :slight_smile: