TNT assessment + reverse onto loading bay advice

My assumption would be it will be something like this:

a) questionnaire on taco regs / road signage
b) one good side reverse onto loading bay, one bad side reverse
c) on the road assessment of about 25 mins

What I’m more worried about is the reversing. I’ve reversed onto a loading bay a TON of times in rigids, no problem, easy peasy. And I’ve done odd bits of Class 1 work, even stuff like reversing a single axle trailer in various situations.

But I’m worried that I’ll fluff it up on the day, and make a bad impression. Does this image look about right?

The danger of advancing too far across the bay lane before turning, is that I end up too far across to my right, and have to then lose the trailer in my right mirror to get the trailer back over.

I think it will be OK though, I seriously doubt they’ll whinge about one or two shunts, more important is being careful out on the road.

Firstly, chill out. It’s only an assessment.

When you want on to a bay stay close, but not right up against the bays on your right hand side (About the same room you would give a car when driving along the road).

Wait till the arse of your trailer passes your bay then swing left. So your now facing two o’clock and your bay is at six o’clock.

A bit of left hand down and let it wind in on it’s own. Don’t keep turning the wheel, give the thing a chance and only make very, very minor movements on the wheel.

If there is room (I.e a large yard with nothing opposite the bay you want) then you can cheat a little by waiting till your arse is just about past the bay and turn sharp left so you face twelve o’clock with the bay at six o’clock. That way all you need to do is reverse in a straight line.

They won’t expect you to do a blind side reverse as it’s only something you do if you really, really, really have to and most experienced drivers mess it up.

Just remember to USE THE SUSPENSION ON YOUR UNIT when coupling/uncoupling. Put your suspension all the way down as you approach, let the 5th wheel get under the trailer just a little, then get out and check. Raise the suspension to the very top and reverse under till you hear it couple.

Just remember that if you don’t lower your suspension AFTER you’ve pulled the pin your suspension will ping up as soon as it gets away from the trailer which can cause damage.

That’s all you’ll need to know.

Since I may have an assessment coming up, can I ask about lowering tractor suspension - I can see why you’d do it, but this was never demonstrated in my training - are the controls straightforward, anything I should know?

stagedriver:
Wait till the arse of your trailer passes your bay then swing left. So your now facing two o’clock and your bay is at six o’clock.

A bit of left hand down and let it wind in on it’s own. Don’t keep turning the wheel, give the thing a chance and only make very, very minor movements on the wheel.

If there is room (I.e a large yard with nothing opposite the bay you want) then you can cheat a little by waiting till your arse is just about past the bay and turn sharp left so you face twelve o’clock with the bay at six o’clock. That way all you need to do is reverse in a straight line.

Sounds like my notion of this had me turning too early, but I’m concerned that if I think about turning when the rear trailer wheels are almost past the bay, that I’ll end up too “square” + too much over to the right.

Should be ok, all I can do is drive to what I can see in my mirrors.

All I can suggest you do is drive along and when you’d estimate your back wheels are passing the bay, swing left. It’s not something you should think twice about though. Just the simple physics of it.

I’ll try take a video of me reversing onto a bay soon to show you how it’s done.

As for the suspension, all trucks will have a little controller/keypad down on the right of the drivers seat. Volvo’s have a slightly different one that looks like a remote control.

Pretty self explanitory here, this one applies to everything except a Volvo:

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?um=1&hl=en&biw=1366&bih=704&tbm=isch&tbnid=IywrnNjIGmjLEM:&imgrefurl=http://www.trucknetuk.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php%3Fp%3D233756&docid=BkUjTuEbfA-5HM&imgurl=http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b164/scanny77/trucking/CopyofScania_suspension.jpg&w=559&h=799&ei=dX-TUOfvFZS00QWBnoDgCQ&zoom=1&iact=rc&dur=395&sig=107702182351866123065&page=1&tbnh=141&tbnw=99&start=0&ndsp=23&ved=1t:429,i:66&tx=33&ty=32

And this one is for Volvo’s:

So when you are coupling up, suspension down then get your self under the trailer but don’t connect. Then put your suspension all the way up and then connect. This protects the legs from being dragged, you can now do two tug tests.

When you are uncoupling, your will wind your legs till they are 2 inches off the ground (Your suspension is totally normal just now). Uncouple all your suzies and pull the pin. Get in the unit and put the suspension down. Pull away a few inches to move away from the pin. Now lower your suspension all the way to the bottom. The trailer legs are now on the ground and no weight is on the 5th wheel. So by lowering your suspension you can now drive out from under the trailer and get on with your day.

If you left your suspension normal or up, as soon as you moved away from the trailer your air bags would shoot up and damage the thing.

It’s common for units to have the batteries at the back between the two rear wheels, so this could cause damage to your unit.

where are you doing your assesment ?

if you’re doing it at a main hub you will probably find you have loads of room , most are quite big places ( not all though ) also if you have the assesment in the day time they are mostly quiet places as most of the action happens during the night .

Hi as above they are quiet during day every one out on road. I work for tnt at moment and you will do your normal coupling and reverse onto bay and thn approx 40 mins on road with assessor who is an every day driver himself so dont panic just drive as if your on your own and dont clip any kerbs or roundabouts and you should be fine. Good luck hope this helps.

might sound stupid but try talking to the assesor about things ask him questions about the company talk to him about random crap it 1.takes his mind off what your doing 2.stops you worrying and helps you to relax :wink:

What job did you do before you passed your test?

Bit of friendly advice, give them a ring and ask for your old job back.

Just Saying!

Wheel Nut:
What job did you do before you passed your test?

Bit of friendly advice, give them a ring and ask for your old job back.

Just Saying!

+1

The only way you’ll learn how to reverse is to practice and watch other people, you cant explain it on a forum imo.

^ What he says… Watch other people is the best way to do it.

Download Truck Simulation demo off tinterweb. The physics of it are correct.

Best thing I do rather than trying to get straight so you’re going straight back to the bay is to go at it from 90 degrees… If you’re trying to get straight and leave your ■■■ end close to the bay but if you turn too early or late you’ve a lot of work to get it back across!

If you go from 90 degrees you start with the back end of the trailer a lot further away from the bay which gives you a lot more time to see how it’s behaving and to get it in the right direction.

My tips:

Yes starting at an angle is the best way, just watch the truck on your blindside, so easy to catch it if the bays are close if you come in on a steep angle.

Dont forget to use all the space you’ve got, dont make work for yourself

Try to always do it on your good side, better to scrub the tyres spinning it round than smashing the front in on someones cab

Lastly get out on have a look, even if you have to do it a hundred times, you look like more of a ■■■ when you hit something than you’d ever look getting out and checking.

Impress your boss not other drivers!