Bibby Distribution has further demonstrated its growth aspirations today by
acquiring TM Logistics in an agreement adding an additional £31 million of
business to its annual turnover.

The deal strengthens Bibby Distribution’s position in the logistics market and
marks its third major acquisition of the year - and one of the largest in the
industry in the last 12 months. It follows the takeover of Taygroup in April
and a significant part of MRS Distribution in August. TM Logistics’ customer
base includes 16 key contracts spanning the automotive, construction and FMCG
markets, a natural fit with Bibby’s proven logistics expertise.

Iain Speak, Chief Executive Officer of Bibby Distribution, explains the reasons
behind the acquisition: "TM Logistics is a highly capable and respected operator
with an ethos similar to our own and a significant number of high quality
contracts.

“We are committed to providing excellent service and driving continuous
improvement across all of our contracts. Naturally, we’ll be looking to build
upon these new relationships and deliver the same long term value for which
Bibby is so well regarded.”

Worcestershire-based TM Logistics will gradually be merged into Bibby
Distribution’s UK operations, driving efficiencies and adding value to both
existing and new customers. This will also see the business take on the Bibby
Distribution name.

Speak adds: "Acquisitions are a key part of our growth strategy alongside the
organic development of existing accounts and our strong track record for winning
new business. It’s an exciting time for the company as we continue to expand,
and we welcome on board our new colleagues.

“Across the next few months we will be working hard as a team to add value to
the business and to ensure we continue to deliver an excellent and competitive
service to our customers.”

The acquisition also sees Bibby Distribution take ownership of Derbyshire-based
PLS, a sister company of TM Logistics. This enables Bibby to enter a new
marketplace with a returnable transit packaging business boasting strong
environmental credentials.

“We see a great opportunity ahead to both expand and develop opportunities for
PLS within our existing customer infrastructure, as well as into new markets,”
he adds.

The scale of the TM Logistics acquisition means Bibby Distribution’s fleet will
grow by 120 tractor units and 220 trailers, increasing total fleet capacity to
some 1,800 vehicular assets - operating from 80 different sites around the UK.
The company will also benefit from high quality warehouse facilities in
Worcester, Milton Keynes and Swadlincote, increasing total warehousing capacity
to 2.5 million ft².

Approximately 350 TM Logistics and PLS employees based at 16 UK sites will
transfer to Bibby Distribution under TUPE. The previous shareholders have opted
not to stay with the business.

Commenting on the possibility of further acquisitions, Speak concludes: "We
remain active in looking for future opportunities that will complement our
existing operations and support our growth strategy

."

They’re getting BIG, fast.

Wonder if they’ll survive, or are gettin’ out of their depth.

waynedl:

bibbylinegroup.co.uk/

It is a big group with fingers in lots of puddings, they can probably weather a few storms but can they get the right staff to manage the transport side properly?

Tis a great shame about Taylors of Martley, a traditional family owned firm in my mind, or it was until it became a Logistic Company :frowning:

waynedl:

Usually a sign they’ll collapse on their arse :confused:

Wheel Nut:

waynedl:

bibbylinegroup.co.uk/

It is a big group with fingers in lots of puddings, they can probably weather a few storms but can they get the right staff to manage the transport side properly?

Having personal experience of working for Bibby group I can answer this.
Unfortunatly the answer is negative.
We are talking here about a company who could not organise a leg over on the Reeperbahn and they would fail miserably at organising a heavy drinking session in a brewery.

Just about the right size now for fast eddie to start taking an intrest.

dowahdiddyman:

In fairness from a drivers point of view the money will go up and you will get paid for every hour you work.

dowahdiddyman:

i dont think eddie would have enough money to buy these out some how,

Friend of mine works for TM, on the Kingspan contract out of Sherburn in Elmet, and he rung me today to tell me what had happened.

The worrying thing is he’s just gone on the books with them about 2 months ago after doing the job via the agency.

Ken.

Quinny:
Friend of mine works for TM, on the Kingspan contract out of Sherburn in Elmet, and he rung me today to tell me what had happened.

The worrying thing is he’s just gone on the books with them about 2 months ago after doing the job via the agency.

Ken.

hi ken,i’m one of the shunters at the shobdon factory,i’d say the job is safe at selby,as kingspan havn’t long opened it,and even if bibby pulled out of there,the stuff still needs shifting by someone,whats your mates name? ive usually got a list of whos on what,see if he gets any of the cream loads lol
Tonyb

Ben9:

dowahdiddyman:

In fairness from a drivers point of view the money will go up and you will get paid for every hour you work.

Are you saying this as a satisfied Bibby employee? or someone who knows the way TM pay their drivers?

angie12:

Ben9:

dowahdiddyman:

Are you saying this as a satisfied Bibby employee? or someone who knows the way TM pay their drivers?

Sorry I was saying if fast eddie was to get his chequebook out.

Taylors of Martley - the history of the logistics firm

Ian Speak from Bibby Distribution, the new owners
You see their lorries all over the country - Taylors of Martley is one of Worcestershire’s most iconic businesses.

The company, now known as TM Logistics, was formed during World War 2 by Eddie Taylor.

He used to collect the stone from Penny Hill Quarry and take it to Brize Norton, for the RAF to build runways.

To keep up with demand, he bought a second lorry, and his wife would swap vehicles with him on Worcester bridge.

The business really took off in the early sixties when he decided to buy a third lorry, and took on staff.

BBC Hereford & Worcester’s Dave Bradley has fond memories of those early days: "I recall when I was a lad going on the wagons during school holidays or when I had first started work - it was a great way of seeing the country.

We would often set out on Monday morning, go to Heysham Head and drop something off, pick up another load from Robertsons in Carlisle, or drive to Scotland, pick up some tin cans and then bring them back to the Metal Box at Worcester

Dave Bradley
"Don Taylor (Eddie’s son), Jim Corbett, Bill Rice and Lionel Minchin are people I remember used to drive for them.

“We would often set out on Monday morning, go to Heysham Head and drop something off, pick up another load from Robertsons in Carlisle, or drive to Scotland, pick up some tin cans and then bring them back to the Metal Box at Worcester.”

Dance Band

Edgar (or Eddie as he preferred to be called) was also a keen cricketer and took dozens of wickets each season for Martley, Wichenford and Clifton-on-Teme.

During World War 2, he formed a dance band as a bet he could learn music in two weeks, and was fondly remembered in the BBC Hereford & Worcester series, Harvesting The Past: "He borrowed a donkey and cart from a neighbour to take his band to Clifton-on-Teme.

"When they came out of the The Lion Inn, somebody had painted the donkey into a zebra!

"On another occasion, the donkey was taken out of the shafts of the cart, taken around the other side of an iron railing fence and reconnected with the cart.

“This time when they came out of the pub the cart and the donkey had an iron fence in between.”

He used the money raised from the dance band to donate to returning servicemen.

"Edgar was sitting by the fire entertaining revellers when the damson wine got to him, and he tumbled into the fire, accordion and all!

“Everyone was laughing so much that his trousers got rather badly burned before he was rescued.”

Success never changed the true character of the man - he remained alert, mischievous and full of vitality to the end of his days.

David Cropp in Martley at the Millennium
Many people remember Eddie as ‘The Doc’ - you can read the full story, which involves a local farmer with a bad tooth and a pair of pliers in Martley at the Millennium.
Eventually it was Eddie’s son, Don, who was to be at the helm of the business after his father retired.

Family Firm

It was during the next few years that Taylors flourished.

Edgar Taylor died in July 1994, at the age of 84, having lived his whole life in the village.

“Success never changed the true character of the man,” explains David Cropp in Martley at the Millennium, “He remained alert, mischievous and full of vitality to the end of his days.”

Their offices in Martley stand empty after moving to Worcester last week
Former employee, Les Wall, said: "He was a very fine fellow and a very good boss.

“In fact you could never wish to meet a better man.”

TM Logistics have since diversified into warehousing, distribution and vehicle hire at 20 sites, employ a workforce of over 400, managing multi-million pound contracts for some of the world’s biggest brands.

In 2007, the company turned over £30.15 million under Eddie’s grandson Stephen Taylor.

You can read Stephen’s account of the growth of the company in this article in The Manufacturer.
In February 2003, the company won an Investors In People award and went on to work for Nissan, Jaguar and Honda.

Its sad to see one of my local firms swallowed up by a multi-national we are losing all our haulage firms in these parts !!! wot with Lloyds and Wraggs closing and now Taylors being bought I think one of the Taylors was goalkeeper for the Great Britain hockey team at some point

merc0447:

waynedl:

Usually a sign they’ll collapse on their arse :confused:

No way, this isn’t some ten bob haulier overstretching themselves, in which case I’d agree with you

No way, this isn’t some ten bob haulier overstretching themselves, in which case I’d agree with you
[/quote]
Yep, i`d agree with you there, transport is only half the story with Bibbys

, transport is only half the story with Bibbys
[/quote]
yer :wink: and food is more than half the story/problem with you cpt chubbs :grimacing:

globby 480:

yer :wink: and food is more than half the story/problem with you cpt chubbs :grimacing:
[/quote]

Kettle calling frying pan black springs to mind old pal :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:
Wakefields answer to Fred Elliot, " A Say Ashleeeeeeeeeeeeeey " :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

Sorry to hear that TM logistics as been sold to bibby’s.I was working for a company that was sold to bibby’s
with in the first six’s months we had lost our best contract and i was told we would be stopping our euro work which i was on at the time .I left not long after that i have also been told that the depot as closed down now.

philberg182:

globby 480:

Kettle calling frying pan black springs to mind old pal :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:
Wakefields answer to Fred Elliot, " A Say Ashleeeeeeeeeeeeeey " :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:
[/quote]
nice 1 phil :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: